iPhone 4S vs. iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KirkL, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KirkL macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm a college student looking to buy an iPhone. And like many college students, I'm looking to save a little money and I was wondering if it made sense to buy an iPhone 5 and pay $199 when I can get the 4S for $99.

Considering the following, is there a reason for me to get an iPhone 5?
    1. I've never owned a smartphone before and anything over my current phone would be a big upgrade.
    2. I don't really care about the screen-size increase, I think 3.5 is perfect for me.
    3. There's no LTE in college town. It's actually a very small town so I doubt it would get LTE anytime soon.

The only argument I can make in favor of the iPhone 5 (for my needs) is that it is more durable than the 4S from what I've read and it will likely be supported for an extra year of software updates than the 4S.

I think I'd want the phone to work 2-3 years ideally.

Any thoughts? :)

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

For $99 more get the 5. It's faster, has more memory, and will last you longer running the latest an most demanding apps.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

And, you can get the 4 for $1. Will work just fine. One of our phones is still the 3g and it works great.

Save your money.

Remember, half of America still does not have a smart phone of any kind. Pretty hard to convince anyone here though.

4. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

The faster thing is so relative though. I mean, if I was upgrading from 4S I'd be probably notice it. But considering I've never owned any smartphone I don't think I'd know what I was missing :D Interesting point about the apps. I was thinking about that too.

The future app updates are probably going to be more resource intensive...hmm

The software updates for the 4 are probably going to be dropped soon. Even the 3GS didn't get all the features of iOS 6.

I don't think I have a real need for a smartphone but ATT and Verizon are the only carriers that work reliably where I am. And since there's not a massive difference in the Share Everything plan for a smartphone, I figured I'd just get a smartphone

5. urkel macrumors 68030

You haven't owned a smartphone before but you think 3.5" is perfect for you? Based on what?

Anyway, the most convincing reasons to get an iPjone 5 is to look at a calendar. It's October 2012 so why would you sign a 2yr contract and opt to get a brand new phone but not the latest model?

6. KirkL, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Based on using my friend's iPhone. Based on the fact that millions of iPhone users have been happy without the 4 inch screen so far...

$100? It's not like the 4S is going to be used. It's new too and the speed enhancements etc in the 5 aren't that enticing to me. I was just wondering if I missed anything.

7. Moneymiike420 macrumors regular

theres already 3000 threads about this...stop trolling if u have the money get the 5 ...if u get the 4 your gonna make a thread in 2 weeks 4,4s owners "Should we have gotten the 5?

8. forcetactic, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

forcetactic macrumors 6502

Saving money and getting a plan on ATT/Verizon is contradicting lol. If you're going to be paying $80+ a month on your plan, an extra $100 over 2 years is nothing and definitely worth the money.

If you really want to save money but need a data plan, go for prepaid like T-mobile's $30 plan or straighttalk's $45 plan. I'm currently on puretalk's family plan and for 3 people, we pay total $40 a month.

9. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Trolling? Do you honestly know what that means? And geez I had no idea you could read minds.

In fact, I did use search and I can't find many topics. If you know of any, please feel free to post links here.

ATT and Verizon are literally the only carriers that work here :D Sprint and T-Mobile's coverage is non-existant. I'm essentially in the middle of nowhere :D I'm currently on Virgin Mobile's pre-paid plan and I kid you not, I never get service.

10. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Nice comparison video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOhPspYC6M&feature=player_embedded

11. kamalds macrumors regular

Don't want to sound like a troll but get GS3, the best smartphone out there.

12. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Not impressed with TouchWiz. I played around with it at the Verizon store a week ago. I thought it was pretty awful actually. Same goes for Sense :( And I don't want to wait forever for updates. The only Android device I'd consider is a Nexus phone...

13. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

You do sound like one. There's no such thing as "best smartphone" or "best cell phone". My uncle has a $0 dumb nokia phone that perfectly fills his needs: Calls. My father has a Blackberry which allows him to do stuff company related he wouldn't be able to do with neither an iPhone nor an Android. I do have an iPhone which perfectly fits in my ecosystem (i.e. iCloud with my Mac, my iPad, iPod, Apple TV...). And one friend of mine owns an Android because he wants.

The GS3 might be the best phone for you. Not the best phone out there.

14. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya the ecosystem is also a big reason I'd go for an iOS device over an Android device. Since I already own a Macbook Pro, it makes sense to go for an iPhone

15. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Fair enough. Straight talk and puretalk piggyback off of ATT towers so they're essentially the same. Puretalk doesn't include data but you could literally get away with $20 a month assuming you're surrounded by wifi 24/7 on campus. Straight talk is a very decent option ($45 unlimited talk/text/2gb data). Only downside is you'd need to purchase a phone from craigslist (4S is about $300)

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I don't know how people would conclude iPhone 5 is more durable than 4 or 4S. Well yes the 4(S) have a bit excessive glass chassis. It might breaks or cracks easier when dropped.
    And when your iPhone dropped, it's going to be bad no matter which iPhone you have. Cracked or severely deformed, you'd wanna replace it anyway.

Other than that, you might be surprised that 4 and 4S construction is actually more solid and resistant to daily and normal abuse than the 5.

I have 4S myself for approx. 1 year and there's no single scuff or dent on the antenna band. Just as perfect as day 1 with normal usage, not overly babying nor abusing it. Not even visible scratch on the screen. And I use my phone almost naked except for faux leather back skin.

Some videos on Youtube also shows you how durable the 4 and 4S chassis really are than the 5. It's stainless steel, baby!! Not soft aluminum! :D

17. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check this out! :)

I was actually going off the drop tests from the AndroidAuthority YouTube video. I remember the guy saying it was more durable than the 4S.

I've dropped my dumb phone many times so I can see myself doing the same thing with the iPhone too.

18. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Do a little research before commenting like this. The iPhone 5 has been dropped, had heavy things dropped on it, submerged in water, and I still haven't seen one break.

19. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

To me, it just sounds like you want us to convince you to get an iPhone 4S and not an iPhone 5.

The thing is, you want to keep the iPhone for 3 years. An iPhone 5 will last longer, simply because the iPhone 4S is already a year old.

The new iPhone 5's A6 chip is one of the fastest on the market (CPU and GPU wise) so when iOS 7 is released, it will run much smoother on an iPhone 5 than on an iPhone 4S.

Also, the new, smaller dock connector. If you get an iPhone 4S, you'll maybe get some accessories... accessories with the old dock connector. What if you get an iPad, or new iPod? Or what if you are going to upgrade from your iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6, 7, 8 or older? Than you'll also need to upgrade all these accessories. I'd argue that, since you are new to the Apple ecosystem, the best thing to do is to get an iOS device with the new, smaller dock connector. It will save you a lot of money if you decide to stick with Apple in the long run.

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I highly suggest an iPhone 5 with an Otterbox or Incipio case as well as AppleCare+. It is a lot of money up front for all of this, but you'll thank me later.

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I wasn't talking about breaks or drops. Yes 4 and 4S cracks easier since they have more glass. But they withstand daily normal abuse better. Clanking with keys, coins or lints. Surely won't scuff the antenna band like the newest iPhone on earth now. Stainless .. steel. :D

22. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

It's actually the other way around. I really want to get the 5 (there's really no rational reason) but my mind says the 4S. So honestly, I want someone to convince me to get the 5.

Aside from durability, is there any reason you're saying the 5 will last longer than the 4S? The 4S will be a brand new phone too (brand new in the sense that it's unused).

This was one of the factors I was considering too but I don't think I'd buy any accessories. I can't think of any use for them.

----------

I don't think the scratches/scuffs would bother me. Does scuffing the antenna band hurt the signal quality or anything?

23. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

You're most likely going to have this device for the next 2 years so you may as well just spend the extra $100 to have the better and more future proof device.

24. KirkL thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the line of thought I'm struggling with. How is it more future proof? OS updates, right? And the 5 will be able to run newer apps better.

25. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Nope .. It does not .. but don't tell me you're getting an iPhone without expecting and appreciate a bit about build quality and aesthetic. I would want my iPhone to look good for as long as possible without worrying too much. As in I don't want my car get scratched although I know .. shoot happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.