Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
i wouldnt risk it. att had more preorders than ever. i'd get there 6hrs before the store opened if i were you

oh and usually at an apple store if you're not the account holder, or the account holder isnt there. they cant help you.

MustangJoe

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
I'm gonna just get it in the morning or in the afternoon. I live in a small town so I think I should be fine.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
i wouldnt risk it. att had more preorders than ever. i'd get there 6hrs before the store opened if i were you

That kind of behavior kind of puzzles me. Where and how do you go to the bathroom without giving up your spot? I'm going by myself.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Go to the apple store. I doubt they will sell out.

It's not the summer time so I don't think lines will be as crazy dues to school and colder weather. But it's a fun experience if you go with friends.

I know people who didn't wait in line for hours, came at 7pm and walked in and walked out the first day

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
That kind of behavior kind of puzzles me. Where and how do you go to the bathroom without giving up your spot? I'm going by myself.

Eventually, the people in the line with you will become friendly so if you have to go take a leak or something, they will hold your spot. It's some sort of line mentality or something. Hopefully, you don't get a bunch of morons with you though.

vibesandstuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Can anyone confirm whether or not the account holder's presence is required when upgrading? I'm an authorized user, but not the actual account holder since we have family plan...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Been there, done that, and the experience is awesome. I've waited in line for every iPhone and each and every time it was great. The boring wait part of it gets diluted and it almost becomes some type of party. Everyone there shares the enthusiasm for the iPhone so there is always something to talk about. It's just like a bunch of friends sitting around just hanging out. The time actually goes by really quick. I would highly recommend doing it at least once. And do it at an apple store if possible. But with that being said, get there early. I mean if it opens at 9am, get there at 5am at the VERY latest. If u want to get in and out, get there around 10-11 the night before and score a spot in the top 50.

And at an apple store I believe u have to be the account holder or they have to be with u. I am almost 100% sure of it. So make sure u call wherever u are going and tell them ur situation. That would be about the only thing that could totally ruin the experience of waiting in line. That and if the guy in front of u gets the last one.

Jay0911

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
NYC
I'm hoping I can walk in afternoon time on release day and pick one up. If not then I'll just have to wait till they restock. Theres so many retail stores in the NYC area though someone is bound to still have.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Been there, done that, and the experience is awesome. I've waited in line for every iPhone and each and every time it was great. The boring wait part of it gets diluted and it almost becomes some type of party. Everyone there shares the enthusiasm for the iPhone so there is always something to talk about. It's just like a bunch of friends sitting around just hanging out. The time actually goes by really quick. I would highly recommend doing it at least once. And do it at an apple store if possible. But with that being said, get there early. I mean if it opens at 9am, get there at 5am at the VERY latest. If u want to get in and out, get there around 10-11 the night before and score a spot in the top 50.

And at an apple store I believe u have to be the account holder or they have to be with u. I am almost 100% sure of it. So make sure u call wherever u are going and tell them ur situation. That would be about the only thing that could totally ruin the experience of waiting in line. That and if the guy in front of u gets the last one.

If that's the case, then I'm going to have to go to an ATT store or Best Buy.

vibesandstuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011

Thanks for the advice! The Apple website now actually has a list of things to bring on launch day, one of which is the Social Security number of the account holder. I'll still probably call up my local store just to double check though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
If that's the case, then I'm going to have to go to an ATT store or Best Buy.

Be sure that your ATT store is a corporate one, not an authorized reseller, like Parrot or some of the others. last 3 releases (3G, 3GS, and 4) they didn't carry the iPhone, and told everyone to go to the corporate store. So be sure they are indeed the corporate store.

BL.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks for the advice! The Apple website now actually has a list of things to bring on launch day, one of which is the Social Security number of the account holder. I'll still probably call up my local store just to double check though.

Scratch my latest remark then, I can still go to an Apple store if I want. I'm an authorized user and I can just ask my dad what his social is.

Be sure that your ATT store is a corporate one, not an authorized reseller, like Parrot or some of the others. last 3 releases (3G, 3GS, and 4) they didn't carry the iPhone, and told everyone to go to the corporate store. So be sure they are indeed the corporate store.

BL.

I've never even heard of Parrot. It's an ATT store. The website store locator says they sell iPhones.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Lines will be long but not as long as expected as ATT is not doing an early upgrade to anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.