Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe there's a "cluoud only" 4S device that doesn't boast any significant internal storage. Hmmm...not totally out of the question.

It doesn't even make sense, internet speed and bandwidth isn't sufficient atm. More importantly not everywhere you get stable internet connection, in those situations phone is a dumb brick.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
It took Apple one whole iteration of the iPhone...

...(iPhone 3Gs) to align the phone and iOS version. Why would they give that up again? Wouldn't make sense.

Twizz91

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
An announcement seems to be getting closer, and closer! Not all that important but it would be interesting to hear why they pushed the launch to the fall instead of the normal june/july time frame.

The iphone 4s will replace the ipod touch. It will be an ipod touch with the option for a simcard with a data only contract, because this is how the future will be. And since it is the new ipod touch, they pushed it to the annual ipod event. Simple as that :)

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
It's not even given that this is really from AT&T. Their colors are blue and sometimes orange, not red. Also their ticket/issue tracking systems (at least the parts that customers can see) look entirely different...

Anyone could've set this up within minutes.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Note to all that there's 2 pages of results, not just one.

Attachments

• modifed.jpg
    modifed.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 164

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
Note to all that there's 2 pages of results, not just one.

Look closer. The buttons lead to page one. It even says "Displaying 11 - 16 of 16", so it's definitely the second page. There's nothing coming after that and the first page most likely only has the older models.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Apple is a business.

Purely from a competetion and profit standpoint Apple needs to introduce 2 phones to remain compeetive with Android flavors.

Why?
The 3GS is ancient in tech years. I think its a great device still, but other than the budget conscious and developing natons it not going to sell a ton in America. Perhaps Apple keeps this as a free phone with contract to insure iOS at least has a free offering.

The iPhone 4. Great phone, and with iOS 5 will seem like new to everyone. That said, it is also in middle age tech wise.

Apple has never done well in a spec vs. spec comparison be it PC or phone. The iPhone 4 with iOS5, and the Apple ecosystem has a lot of life yet. In all honesty, probably greater than 50% of users will never tax their iPhone to the limits. With iCloud even capacity becomes less critical. ven the less than ideal 3G carrier speeds are 'good enough' for most. It is possible Apple pushes the costs down on this model and or retires the 3GS and makes this one free.

The iPhone 4S rumored about. Same form factor, fixed antenna issue, iOS5 optimized, and A5 chip. That would put it on oar with iPad 2. Tech spec wise its closes the gaps with Android models. Leaving Apple not at the top but in the running. sell at full price and get more converts, replacements and the bleeding edge must haves. Typical product life cycle stuff.

This holds Apple over for 3-6 months. Sales will be good but no spectacular here in the states. That said, China is a huge market and this phone could sell like mad over there.

That leaves Apple with 3 risks and a few deficiencies. Risk 1, no iPhone 5 when the world so anxiously wants one, especially so close to Steve's CEO retirement. Risk 2 the possibility of lagging behind Android flavor phones tech spec wise. Risk 3 the iPhone 4S having another antennagate issue (Personally I think it was a non issue and has been solved in the next generation anyhow). Consumer reports really rates the iPhone 4 well except for the antena issue. An iPhone 4S could solve that and get the iPhone back as a best buy choice for Consuemr Reports. This gets news and people buy based on those tid bits they here more than 1.2 GHz vs. 1.4 GHz.

As for deficiencies, Apple does not have LTE/4G. Steve has said they want a lower power LTE chipset. I believe this. No one wants to charge the ohione mid day. With my old 3G I had to do this often if I used it alot. With no user replaceable battery it would be a PR disaster.

AT&T has nearly no LTE support. Verizon only slightly more. A massive launch of iPhones would bring all American carriers to their knees in terms of this.

Last is the part Apple cannot control. Contracts and pricing from the telecoms. As these style phones become more ubiquitous and common bandwidth increases. iCloud will only worsen this. Next generation data will also be impacted. Companies liek sprint, AT&T and Verizon are in business agianst one another and to some extent us the public. They need to have pricing we want to pay but keep us from using too much of their limited resource. Smart Phones are one of the worst thigs to happen to telecoms as they use bandwidth and that takes more towers, more switches and more real estate. All of that takes cash. Data caps, premium surcharges, even primetime data charges liek minutes could come our way. Yes, we all want 4G in every little crevice we go, but that does come at a price and we as consumers must be careful we do not demand something we cannot afford to support.

Apple does not exactly want a phone where it starts at $145 a month for service. The profit and payback for the telecoms is not yet there. They will charge a premium for 4G/LTE and if they are forced to roll out more and ahead of schedule they need to charge back their customers.

I think Apple does have an iPhone 5 ready to go. But does not yet feel the launch window is sufficient.

They will get very healthy world wide sales of an iPhone 4S. If they bide their time 3 to 6 months, carrier support improves, and as Android phones push out more and more tech ladden phones, Apple can hld back the iPhone 5 to release at the best time with a nice supply and smooth launch.

Apple has always had a very solid strategy. Their execution in recent years is often even superior to their technology. Yes, they have stock constraints, but I am talking strategic execution of the plan. Wether planed or adapted, their release of the original iPhone, paving the way for the data conracts and usage, then each successive generation, integration iPod touch into app store and developing that property to form en ecosystem has been a huge success.

If iOS 5 works, and apps run well and there is no lag, then what percentage of consumers really care how much RAM or what CPU is in their phone? Very few. If Joe Consumer can pull up nearly any song in their library from the cloud then storage is not even as critical. Need a bigger screen- get an iPad 2. For most 3G is plenty fast for games, email and what they need.

A small percentage of users, mostly those of us who comes to sites liek MacRumors are bleeding edge. We know the specs, appreciate them and want utmost performance. But I promise the majority of iPhone users and buyers want an affordable phone that works and works well and has an affordable monthly rate. Apple will deliver that far betetr than Android can for the time being.

bLink-404

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
I'm certain it's fake for the following reasons:
- Where's the iPhone 3GS? It's obviously sorted in ascending order, so an iPhone 3GS entry should be above the iPhone 4 entries.
- Apple always stylised the iPhone 3GS with a capital S – if they were so meticulous enough to correctly stylise iPhone as Apple has, then why didn't they also correctly stylise the 4s part?
- Where's the iPhone 4S Black? It can't be on another page since the last page is already showing, and said page contains the first iPhone 4S entry. Surely Apple wouldn't only release a white iPhone?
- Why isn't the storage capacity listed (as others have duly pointed out)? I think an iCloud phone being released at this point in time is a bit far-fetched considering that data offerings are quite inadequate in most parts of the world.
- Finally, and most significantly, this contradicts the statements made earlier this week by two Apple employees regarding the next iPhone indeed being an iPhone 5, and featuring a "fairly different" design.

Dismissed as fake. Its source appears to be a bored AT&T support rep trying to mess with us. I'm actually quite disappointed in Engadget for not spending more than 3 minutes investigating the "tip".

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1

Negafox

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011

ChrisTX said:
macslayer118 said:
I want an iPhone 5, not a 4s!!!

There will be both models. Apple never seems to disappoint!

I'm disappointed right now that I am still holding onto my slow iPhone 3GS and playing the waiting game to see if we'll get a proper new model this year.

If we don't hear anything from Apple before mid-October, my wife and I will get the Epic Touch 4G phones instead.

The 3GS is horrifically slow and the iPhone 4 is obsolete compared to today's smart phones. I'd to see an A5-based iPhone to at least partially catch up to modern phones hardware-wise.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

I'm disappointed right now that I am still holding onto my slow iPhone 3GS and playing the waiting game to see if we'll get a proper new model this year.

If we don't hear anything from Apple before mid-October, my wife and I will get the Epic Touch 4G phones instead.

The 3GS is horrifically slow and the iPhone 4 is obsolete compared to today's smart phones. I'd to see an A5-based iPhone to at least partially catch up to modern phones hardware-wise.
Agreed, for those that bought a 3G when it was the current iPhone, this delay has got to be frustrating. My best advice is to hold off, because Apple has to have a new phone on the horizon, and I doubt Apple would be foolish enough to only release an upgraded 4 given the Android phones out there. There has to be an internal reason for this delay that only Apple knows about.

Last edited:

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Look closer. The buttons lead to page one. It even says "Displaying 11 - 16 of 16", so it's definitely the second page. There's nothing coming after that and the first page most likely only has the older models.

Look even closer. If this is real, why is there no 3GS before the iPhone 4 models and only a 3G model?

0x000000 said:
"first page most likely only has the older models."

This is speculative - not a fact.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011

Useless information. Those with a brain will know the 4 isn't going anywhere. Whether it's a 4 or 4S, who cares. iPhone 5 is what many consumers and critics are expecting.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008

I'm sorry, but I laughed so hard when I read, "this tasty morsel." It seems more like a tiny crumb next to my dog's food bowl. Honestly.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Twizz91 said:
An announcement seems to be getting closer, and closer! Not all that important but it would be interesting to hear why they pushed the launch to the fall instead of the normal june/july time frame.

The iphone 4s will replace the ipod touch. It will be an ipod touch with the option for a simcard with a data only contract, because this is how the future will be. And since it is the new ipod touch, they pushed it to the annual ipod event. Simple as that :)

That does not explain anything.

theevoid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I refuse to believe this is legit :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.