iPhone 4S will not connect to itunes. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by romavac, Oct 27, 2011.

1. romavac macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I Just got my new iPhone 4S. Previously I had a 3GS and always connected and synced with itunes without problem. Today I have turned on the new iphone, inserted the mini sim and it told me to connect with itunes. So I plugged into my macbook in the usual way and nothing is happening apart from the iphone charging. It does not register on itunes at all.

I need to back up all my contacts etc from itunes and absolutely nothing is happening. My macbook is version 10.4.11 and is about 5 years old. The version of itunes is 9.

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or what the problem might be? Really frustrating as I have done the sim swap already and now the phone will not work.

Please help!!

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I believe you need to update iTunes to version 10

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Capt T is correct, iOS5 requires iTunes 10.5. Update your iTunes and you should be good.

4. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

4S using a contact list from iPhone 1 on 10.4.11

4S using a contact list from iPhone 1 on 10.4.11 and older iTunes 9.2.1.

Is there a way to physically view contacts or shift the backup or contact file to a newer iTunes on a newer computer? Can I upload an older set to iCloud then connect newer stuff to the older files?

Feel free to message me if there is a real solution.

iPhone 1 is bricked by a dead sim card that has no replacement path. (that they will admit to). All viable data exists only on iTunes on the older CPU.

Have a newer CPU if networking or file exchange is an option to move this data to the "modern era".

Apple punishes you if you do not do their forced upgrade path. Damned the well known problems with that path including bugs, crashes, and total data loss.

Rocketman