Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I would think that when they release the iPhone 4 on Verizon it will not have the antenna issue. Do you think that Apple will "officially" relase an iPhone 4S when the Verizon iPhone is realeased? Maybe the white iPhone will surface in a couple of weeks?

Or do you think Apple will not do anything until the summer?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What's an iPhone 4S?

Maybe apple will be rolling out a silent update

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
I personally think Apple is going to begin to quietly ship the revised antenna for both AT&T and Verizon (to the naked eye, it's not much different at all). This would solve the separate case issue also.

iPhone 5 will likely be LTE. I don't see a need for a second-generation iPhone 4. Since they just are releasing iPhone 4 for Verizon and AT&T's LTE won't be ready until January 2012, I bet they skip any revisions this summer and release iPhone 5 in January 2012 - LTE - For both networks.

Again, just my thoughts.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
why don't you read and stop speculating, why has everyones IQ dropped today

it's a CDMA iPhone 4 not iPhone 4S, it's still the same name

no news on white iPhones = assume it's been delayed until apple says so

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
why don't you read and stop speculating, why has everyones IQ dropped today

it's a CDMA iPhone 4 not iPhone 4S, it's still the same name

no news on white iPhones = assume it's been delayed until apple says so

Please relax. I obviously just say 4S (where S=whatever will Apple plan to do?). It is nothing technical. I'm just wondering.

S could equal white iphone, S could equal an official release. Heck, S could even equal iphone 5. Who knows with Apple these days.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
IMO, 4G will come before 4S, which actually going to be 4GS

Apple won't introduce the revised version quietly at this point, it's too close to June release, instead the 5th gen iPhone will come with a fixed antennae, and IMO LTE support, and it'll be called iPhone 4G.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
In June of this year we'll probably see a iPhone 4s, same design as the current 4, but probably the improved antenna design and a speed and possibly memory bump. Both Verizon and AT&T will probably get it. It'll be evolutionary and not a major model change I think. Still probably worth the wait for current 3GS and before iPhone owners. Not a good time to go out and buy a iPhone 4 I think. Apple will use the June refresh to consolidate the 2 carriers iPhone models.

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
As others have stated, I believe the new iPhone this year will just be with the revised Antenna that Verizon is getting and possibly a bump up to 64GB in storage, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Unless something awesome is added this summer (like the 3GS was after the 3G, same enclosure) I'll probably just be sticking with my iPhone 4 until iPhone 6 is released. Which is saying something because I've upgraded every year since the original iPhone was released. :confused:

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I don't think the June refresh will be much more than a few software features, possible fixes to antennea and maybe 64GB.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
... Sexy?

:D
:D:D

IIRC, Apple said the "S" in 3GS stood for "Speed," but don't quote me on it.

Ahh, right. (lol I even have that model)
Well they could call it a bunch of stuff. Since both networks will have "4G" out, they can call it iPhone 4G, or iPhone LTE, etc...

Depends all on how long Apple wants to milk out the phone. I think the design is spot on with the Apple lineup of products so that won't be changing, but I could be wrong.

I still am hoping for some kind of new iPhone this summer because I'd love to upgrade.

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
I think the next GSM iPhone will be 'iPhone 4X', and will be launched in June as usual :D

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
not sure, but 'iPhone 4G' might be good...and stand for a multipurpose device 4G - Global (VZ/ATT LTE), 4G - Data, etc.

I should be fine with the new iPhone for Verizon, I'm going to definitely give it a try out (havent upgraded my phone in a few years, not for really any particular reason either)..just kind of sucks no voice+simultaneous data, hopefully hotspot feature wont be insanely expensive.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I don't think the June refresh will be much more than a few software features, possible fixes to antenna and maybe 64GB.
It's going to be one helluva boring key-note this year, that's for sure. A one year wait for an antenna fix and more disk space? And maybe improved notifications, but I agree, that's probably all we'll get.

They need to come up with a heck of a lot more than that to keep up with phones like the new MAtrix.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I would think that when they release the iPhone 4 on Verizon it will not have the antenna issue. Do you think that Apple will "officially" relase an iPhone 4S when the Verizon iPhone is realeased? Maybe the white iPhone will surface in a couple of weeks?

Or do you think Apple will not do anything until the summer?

The iPhone 4 for the rest of the world won't be tweaked. If they were going to make changes they would of done it a long time ago and not waited till the Verizon release. We only have 5 months till an iPhone 5

For the iPhone 5 I would expect the following which will be mostly internal changes
- Processor upgrade
- More RAM
- Camera upgrade front and back
- Antenna adjustment
- Better battery

This phone will be released in June for ALL carriers including Verizon. This may or may not be a single phone or maybe 2 phones a GSM and CDMA. Still not sure about LTE and HSDPA+ but regardless the new phone will go to ALL carriers.

The reason for this is that Verizon does not want to be in the position of offering an iPhone 4 at $199 and ATT will by then be offering the same phone for $99. In order for Verizon to be competitive with new or existing customers they will need to match price points with ATT so
iPhone 4 - $99
iPhone 5 - $199 and $299

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
I thought i read somewhere the revised antenna seen on the Verizon Iphone will be what is on the IP5. Not sure where though, either BGR or Engadget. i'd like to see:

Proc upgrade: hoping for dual core 1 Ghz
Improved battery
Upgraded ram to 768 but may not notice to much on this front.
HSPA+

For me, 32g's is enough but a bump to 64 could lower the price a bit for the 32g. Improved camera's are always welcome but that always seems like a no brainer.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm sure the 0.54% of people that complained about it will be very happy, I've never had antenna issues with the 4. And no, I don't use a case/bumper.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Most of the rumors have indicated that the iPhone 5 will not be LTE--that's not coming until iPhone 6 in 2012.

Certainly seems odd to me though. The move from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4G makes a lot of sense and fits with previous naming conventions.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I personally think Apple is going to begin to quietly ship the revised antenna for both AT&T and Verizon (to the naked eye, it's not much different at all). This would solve the separate case issue also.

iPhone 5 will likely be LTE. I don't see a need for a second-generation iPhone 4. Since they just are releasing iPhone 4 for Verizon and AT&T's LTE won't be ready until January 2012, I bet they skip any revisions this summer and release iPhone 5 in January 2012 - LTE - For both networks.

Again, just my thoughts.

theres no proof (yet) that the change in design was to combat the death grip issues. It might just be the way it had to be engineered for CDMA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.