Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 5 and Updated iPod Touch to Support Panorama Photo Mode?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS developer Will Strafach posted a Tweet a few minutes ago stating that the iPhone 5 and the updated iPod touch reportedly due for introduction at tomorrow's media event will support a new panorama photo mode that will enable users to capture multiple photos that can be automatically stitched together into a single panoramic image.
[iPod touch] also has that Panoramic photo feature enabled as far as I know. I think the new iPhone does as well.

Strafach has since deleted his Tweet, but says that he deleted it because the information was already known, not because it was inaccurate. iMore's Rene Ritchie says that he heard similar information earlier this year but was unable to confirm it at the time.

Hidden panorama mode in iOS 5
The panorama mode is not entirely new, as it is already hidden in iOS 5 and can be activated on jailbroken devices. Performance was said to be relatively poor at the time of its discovery last year, so it seems that Apple has made significant improvements if it intends to release it as a public feature on its new hardware.

A number of third-party apps such as 360 Panorama and Microsoft's Photosynth already offer similar capabilities, but Apple including packaged within the default camera app on the new iPhone and iPod touch would be a significant boost for panoramic photography.

Article Link: iPhone 5 and Updated iPod Touch to Support Panorama Photo Mode?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
It's a nice addition, but it's hopefully one of the "300 new features!" rather than a headline one, IMO.

Comment

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
You know Apple will only allow this to run on new devices for no tangible reason...

Comment

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
It's a nice addition, but it's hopefully one of the "300 new features!" rather than a headline one, IMO.

They made a big deal about HDR, so I wouldn't be so optimistic. However, they also didn't show it at the iOS 6 event, so they could be restricting it to new phones for a dumb reason.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
this is definitely gonna be a flagship feature....

I could see them saying "this is only available on 5th gen. iPod touch and new iPhone because of the added screen real estate"

but I definitely welcome this! along with an improved camera.

Comment

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
This is it people. This is the 'killer' feature. Prepare yourselves.

Comment

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Microsoft's Photosynth is actually pretty good, but a built-in Panarama feature will be pretty nice to have.

RTP.

Comment

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Would make sense to debut it with the new longer iPhone, but doubt it'd stop me using the 360 app - it's got some great features including uploading so you can have an interactive photo online :)

http://360.io/5EK6u2 - just a quick one I did a few weeks ago.

Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Would make sense to debut it with the new longer iPhone, but doubt it'd stop me using the 360 app - it's got some great features including uploading so you can have an interactive photo online :)

http://360.io/5EK6u2 - just a quick one I did a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I scored that when it was the Free App of the Week. The static images are pretty neat, but the interactive ones through the web service are very slick.

Comment

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
This article brings up a point that I'm very curious to see tomorrow. The camera. The iPhones have always had pretty good cameras and as someone who enjoys photography (Real photography, not pics of my food and pets multiple times a day) I am curious to see what they bring to the table in this new phone.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.