Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Bumping this thread now that the Lightning-to-30pin adapter is starting to ship. I'm sure some of us are interested in hearing what kind of stereo/car models it works with.

Personally hoping to hear about its compatibility with Hyundai stereos (2010 Elantra specifically) that use the "y-cable."

I'm curious as well although mine is for an Alpine XDA-100 deck. :D

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Not sure if this has been mentioned, so I'll give what updates I know:

1. Ford Sync (non-touch) in a 2013 Ford Escape works over Bluetooth with my iPhone 5. Didn't try the USB connection (it's my wife's car so I really didn't take the time, she has an iPhone 4S which obviously has no issues USB or Bluetooth).
2. In my Ford Expedition, I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer X910BT a couple of years ago. I swapped out the Pioneer 30pin to USB/Composite cable with my Lightning to USB cable and it worked sort of. I could control the iPod music with the head unit and see album art but the music played out of the speakers on my iPhone....

Just a few items of note....

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Bumping this thread now that the Lightning-to-30pin adapter is starting to ship. I'm sure some of us are interested in hearing what kind of stereo/car models it works with.

Personally hoping to hear about its compatibility with Hyundai stereos (2010 Elantra specifically) that use the "y-cable."

2011 Elantra here. Would like to know as well

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland
I tried my iphone 5 in the new 2013 Honda Pilot, works fine. I have a 2007 honda accord though, have an isimple hooked up to feed audio to the radio & allows the 30 connector to charge up the phone too. Waiting on the adapter impatiently...

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Not sure if this has been mentioned, so I'll give what updates I know:

1. Ford Sync (non-touch) in a 2013 Ford Escape works over Bluetooth with my iPhone 5. Didn't try the USB connection (it's my wife's car so I really didn't take the time, she has an iPhone 4S which obviously has no issues USB or Bluetooth).
2. In my Ford Expedition, I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer X910BT a couple of years ago. I swapped out the Pioneer 30pin to USB/Composite cable with my Lightning to USB cable and it worked sort of. I could control the iPod music with the head unit and see album art but the music played out of the speakers on my iPhone....

Just a few items of note....

Thanks. I have the X930BT so I was curious what it would do...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Thanks. I have the X930BT so I was curious what it would do...

Yeah, the guys over at AVIC411.com posted something about Pioneer stating the 30pin to lightning dock adapter is necessary for audio out or use a 3.5mm to X cable from the iPhone headphone jack (not very elegant at all)....

I just figured I would try it anyway.....

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, the guys over at AVIC411.com posted something about Pioneer stating the 30pin to lightning dock adapter is necessary for audio out or use a 3.5mm to X cable from the iPhone headphone jack (not very elegant at all)....

I just figured I would try it anyway.....

I was reading that since Pioneer uses analog audio in their head units, the audio might not work at all, since lightning its "all digital". I guess we wont know for a few more days, but I'm not holding my breath...

Thanks!

itsLouieV

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
i would use bluetooth if my radio displayed info and charged it over bluetooth. Until that happens i will continue with the cable.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
VW GTi

Just got the Lightning adapter...

Doesn't work with the VW GTi from 2009. Directly from the VW 30-pin to the adapter-no charging.

With the Scotze (sp?) adapter->Apple Lightning adapter->Iphone 5, I get charging, but no iPod/iTunes controls. iPhone sounds (typing, unlocking) go through the speakers just fine. Apps like Waze work as usual, but iTunes simply states "Accessory Connected" and I get no music, no ability to control through the VW radio/steering controls, and no ability to start music on the iPhone.

A bit of a disappointment...

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
30-pin adaptor works perfectly in my BMW 3-series with Y-cable hook-up and Mercedes ML350. Me happy now.

PezRadar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
30-pin adaptor works perfectly in my BMW 3-series with Y-cable hook-up and Mercedes ML350. Me happy now.

Do you have BMW Connected with a LCD Screen and can get Album Art on your LCD?

I'm hoping my MINI can still get this with the adapter which comes in tomorrow.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England

Yep, I have BMW Connect and Idrive with the latest Combox and it works perfectly with Coverart. I think you do need the latest Combox for coverart

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

I have a 2008 328xi. It has a LCD screen, which shows playlists, artists, songs, etc. it has never showed album art though, so can't comment on that. And I can still control it from my steering wheel.

PezRadar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Yep, I have BMW Connect and Idrive with the latest Combox and it works perfectly with Coverart. I think you do need the latest Combox for coverart

Define 'Combox'

Got a 2012 MINI Cooper S with MINI Connect so I'm hoping I will be set. Damn thing is only 1 year old as of October :p

EDIT: More specifics - Are you able to use the "Plugin" iPod Out feature under BMW Connect.

See this link here. This has exactly what I'm talking about.
http://youtu.be/CtpNRqyCvB0?t=3m45s

I know you can get it to work by going to CD/Multimedia then choosing your iPhone but does it support the actual 'Plugin' feature under BMW Connect.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Just got the Lightning adapter...

Doesn't work with the VW GTi from 2009. Directly from the VW 30-pin to the adapter-no charging.

With the Scotze (sp?) adapter->Apple Lightning adapter->Iphone 5, I get charging, but no iPod/iTunes controls. iPhone sounds (typing, unlocking) go through the speakers just fine. Apps like Waze work as usual, but iTunes simply states "Accessory Connected" and I get no music, no ability to control through the VW radio/steering controls, and no ability to start music on the iPhone.

A bit of a disappointment...

NOOOOOOOOOOO (vw gti owner 2012). Damn that sucks. I like controlling the volume and tracks using the steering wheel.

greenemg

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
2012 Hyundai Sonata w/NAV

30 Pin Adapter works with the factory iPod cable like a champ. All functionality included.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
If I could have just one wish with these iPhones - just 1, that is what I'd wish for. I paired my 4S to car when taking incoming and outgoing calls. I'd also like for it to play music via bluetooth. I don't see why this can't be done with some app, iOS update or firmware?

That's not a limitation of iOS or the iPhone. Your audio system needs to support it.

Our 2012 Lexus does and the iPhone 5 can be paired both for phone and music as separate profiles.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have a MINI Cooper with MINI Connect.

I paid for the armrest adapter which I used all of a few times. I just use Bluetooth. Now if only they would update the connected software to work over bluetooth!! I can already get email and text messages...why cant I start and control apps?

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
If I could have just one wish with these iPhones - just 1, that is what I'd wish for. I paired my 4S to car when taking incoming and outgoing calls. I'd also like for it to play music via bluetooth. I don't see why this can't be done with some app, iOS update or firmware?
Music works perfectly fine over bluetooth in my car (2011 Renault Clio), but there's no such option in my mum's car (2010 Mini) yet it supports calls and the phonebook so I don't see why it can't support music too.

The only issue I have is that the song name that comes up on the screen doesn't usually update when the song changes. Does anybody know why this is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.