iphone 5 bad esn to use in GSM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakobo, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jakobo, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

jakobo macrumors newbie

Hello, please i have some questions. When i will buy iphone 5 with sim card slot and the iphone will have bad esn or icloud lock. Is it possible to use iphone 5 regularly to GSM in Europe? Alternatively, what is needed to do for it? Which carriers have iphone 5 with gsm, sprint, verizon?
    Thank you so kuch

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

ESN blacklisted, yes it should work since all GSM carriers care about is the IMEI working. as for icloud locked, no you wont be able to get past that. it will be a paperweight.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At the moment VZW only shares its blacklist with Sprint (and vice versa), so you will be able to use it on GSM. Locked in iOS7 has no such work around. I also expect at some point VZW and ATT/T-Mo will start sharing their blacklists but I haven't heard anything. Just a gut feel.

4. jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.. And all iphones from US carriers are able to use in GSM europe? Are they GSM unlocked? thanks

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sprint and AT&T based iPhones are not GSM unlocked (under contract).

6. nox5 macrumors 6502

Sellers on eBay always confuse ESN with IMEI.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

sure, I bet they "confuse" all the time :rolleyes: then nontech buyers are left with paperweights

8. jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

okay thanks, but there is no problem to unlock iphone 5 via cherry unlock, or not? Every iphones 5 have SIM card slot, or there are some carriers that have only CDMA? But there are some websites where i can check if esn or imei is good, isnt it? So if i have vodafone gsm in europe, it is needed for me to have iphone with clean Imei and without icloud lock. Alright?

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

All iPhones 4S and up have GSM. There is no CDMA only iPhone 5 as LTE is a GSM technology.

All Verizon iPhone 5s are SIM unlocked. All AT&T/T-Mobile iPhones that are off contract can be unlocked with a phone call.

Sprint iPhones remain locked regardless and will only be unlocked for usage on Non-US carriers and will still be SIM locked to other US carriers

10. jakobo, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so AT&T/T-Mobile iPhones are able to unlock only when ESN/IMEI is clean? THere is no way how to unlock it, for example via cherry unlock?
    Sprint iphones can be unblocked without problems via cherry unlock to usage in europe, or is it needed to do it with some R-SIM? What is best way to unlock SPRINT iphone 5 to usage in europe?
    Sorry for my worries, i dont want to have brick at home :) thanks

11. jakobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Is cherry unlock scam? So there is no way how to unlock iphone 5 for example Sprint for free? Do you know which r-sim will work with iphone 5 iOS 7 from sprint? thanks

12. MacKa SL macrumors newbie

iPhone 5C sprint with bad ESN

will i be able to unlock iPhone 5C sprint bad ESN with r-sim air 2?

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

That I don't know.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont buy a Sprint iphone.
    If you buy a CDMA iphone 5 or newer make sure its a verizon model. Even if it has a bad esn it will work fine in Europe.