iPhone 5 - Bedside Mode?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Yes. That is absolutely what I am saying. It should be automatic. A simple "if, then" command:

IF it is between xx:xx PM and yy:yy AM
AND plugged in
THEN activate do not disturb

I shouldn't have to go into settings to change things every night. On the Blackberry this was all automatic.
So why not just set it for your "usual time" and on the rare occassion you are out and about turn DND off? I plan my life around the 80/20 rule. If 80% of the time I do X, then I set my settings for that so that only on the 20% of the time I am not doing X that I change my settings.

Edit: And yes, having a setting for charging would be nice. Frankly Apple just added DND with iOS 6 so prior to that we were all using the Sock/Cloth method mentioned previous! DND his a huge leap forward for us.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
I love bedside mode.. I set my blackberry into the OEM dock next my bed each night.. very functional feature indeed.

As a former Blackberry user, how do you like the iphone 5? I have one on order but am having second thoughts

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Do Not Disturb user here as well. I programmed a few numbers in my favorites list such as family members that will ring through anyway should there be an emergency. Everyone else will wait until morning before I get back to them. This feature was late, but I'm glad it's finally here.

And yes alarms will go off without any issues.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
Well, at this time there aren't. I would suggest weighing the pros and cos of the iPhone versus the BB. You can always switch back.
That was a Captain Pointless post.

If we as users of Apple don't complain and push for things, nothing will ever significantly change. I've been using iPhones for 4.5 years, and Profiles should be included, simple as that.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
That was a Captain Pointless post.

If we as users of Apple don't complain and push for things, nothing will ever significantly change. I've been using iPhones for 4.5 years, and Profiles should be included, simple as that.
Whether they SHOULD be or not, they aren't. Simple as that. There are plenty of other phones on the market.

rbenjamin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Northern Westchester, NY
As a former Blackberry user, how do you like the iphone 5? I have one on order but am having second thoughts
A little background. I have had blackberries for a decade or more - since the beeper style. My last blackberry was the 9700. I also am the one person who bought a PlayBook. I have never had a single apple product - apart from an Apple IIc in the 1980s.

I absolutely love the screen and the apps that are out there. Siri is great. I love the fact that I have not yet seen the clock face with the spinning hands when I absolutely had to make an important call. From that perspective, it seems to work great.

I miss the email integration (since my firm requires iOS to use Good - which is a total POS.)

I miss sound profiles. I miss the charging pod and I miss being able to have a stack of charged batteries in my briefcase. (I literally traveled with a half dozen.)

I miss the physical keyboard, but have gotten much better at the iphone keyboard in just a few days. Autocorrect lets me type nearly as fast as the BB, but I still have to look at what I am doing. I cannot touch type.

I got my iPhone 5 on friday the 21st and almost returned it on Monday the 24th to back to my BlackBerry. But they talked me into keeping it for another week and I am glad I did.

I will probably keep it. (My wife LOVES hers.)

I look forward to being able to buy some accessories - especially a backup charging battery, and a retractable charging cord (or a JuiceBuddy) - once they release the lightning connector accessories.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I like the programmable DND mode.

At 12 midnight I have my phone silence everything but phone calls (if someone calls me at night, it's bound to be important). Everything else is silenced. At 6am, the DND mode turns itself off.

For any other odd times, I can turn it on manually.

MacVT

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Haha, I thought I was the only person who did this! I have an odd sport sock on my bedside table that the phone sits on while I sleep.

Yay, I'm not a mentalist.
I'm sure that's what the tube sock next to your bed is for... :rolleyes:

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
A little background. I have had blackberries for a decade or more - since the beeper style. My last blackberry was the 9700. I also am the one person who bought a PlayBook. I have never had a single apple product - apart from an Apple IIc in the 1980s.

I absolutely love the screen and the apps that are out there. Siri is great. I love the fact that I have not yet seen the clock face with the spinning hands when I absolutely had to make an important call. From that perspective, it seems to work great.

I miss the email integration (since my firm requires iOS to use Good - which is a total POS.)

I miss sound profiles. I miss the charging pod and I miss being able to have a stack of charged batteries in my briefcase. (I literally traveled with a half dozen.)

I miss the physical keyboard, but have gotten much better at the iphone keyboard in just a few days. Autocorrect lets me type nearly as fast as the BB, but I still have to look at what I am doing. I cannot touch type.

I got my iPhone 5 on friday the 21st and almost returned it on Monday the 24th to back to my BlackBerry. But they talked me into keeping it for another week and I am glad I did.

I will probably keep it. (My wife LOVES hers.)

I look forward to being able to buy some accessories - especially a backup charging battery, and a retractable charging cord (or a JuiceBuddy) - once they release the lightning connector accessories.
thanks, that was insightful.. I also had a playbook for a few months! ha I'll probably miss the charging dock and keyboard.. I'm also pretty accustomed to using the keyboard w/ out looking.

I'm sure it will take time to get used to but the iPhone deserves a fair shot. can't wait till it ships now.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
Whether they SHOULD be or not, they aren't. Simple as that. There are plenty of other phones on the market.
Why on earth do you keep telling me that there are other phones on the market?

Do you sell mobile phones? And it's nearing the end of the month, and you've got commission targets to hit?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I keep reading this thread title as "iPhone 5 - Beast Mode?".
lol I read it as this too haha

I know what you mean OP, I had to turn off vibrate all together but on my android Cyanogen mods you could have silent hours. Vibrate etc could be used as well as settings for when charging.

JCfromTB

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa Bay, FL
I think the DND function works just fine. My phone goes silent from 10PM-6AM unless a call comes in from one of the few folks I have designated. I also like that if a caller rings twice in 3 minutes, it will ring through just in case it's an emergency. My alarm at 4:30AM still goes off despite being on DND until 6AM.

----------

I keep reading this thread title as "iPhone 5 - Beast Mode?".
My iPhone 5 is ALWAYS in "Beast Mode"!

zafuquazar

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Petaluma, CA
I used BBs for many years and they did some fantastic things - things other devices don't do. Like switching to bedside mode and automatically displaying the clock when plugged in.

I loved the idea of Do Not Disturb in iOS 6 because I want some of my contacts to ring through if there is an emergency in the middle of the night. The problem I have, as pointed out, is if the phone isn't "sleeping," the calls and text tones will come through as they would normally.

Well - I like to use the app nightstand for its great flip clock and some other features. For many years, going back to blackberry days, my phone has been my bedside clock. One less thing to clutter the night table. When this app is active, however, it leaves a dim clock on the screen and the phone is technically awake and in use. The result? Do not disturb doesn't function when the app is running.

Not the end of the world, but this feature could stand a little refinement.
^this. I was so excited about DNDin iOS6, but then I saw that it only works when you lock the phone. So annoying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.