Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gambolputty

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
So typical fandroid, you are good at making lists that make no sense.

And typical iBoy always sees Fandroids everywhere and bombs every feature that HE personally doesn't use or HE thinks is not needed :D Also you (someone) asked for list of features, you (someone) have it, saying it doesn't make sense shows your hardcore bias towards Apple so I wouldn't say such words because you look like dum dum now.

Also NFC is more than public place spots, try googling about programmable stickers and their usage

And personally I am such Fandroid that I eagerly wait for new Win 8 tablets and phones to check them (and also for Note 2, that pen looks awesome, making Note finally a NOTE, too bad it has the ugly S3 design)

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Dual Core Galaxy S3 handily beats Dual Core A6-iPhone5

attachment.php

And yeah..lets not even compare the quad core GS3. it gets more than 2100.

Seems like after the initial(and misguided) hype about the "superior" performance of the A6, cold reality ought to sink in.

And you know whats funny? This Dual core GS3 runs ICS and NOT JB. I bet that the Dual core score of the GS3 will easily pass 2200 when the device runs JB.(the Iphone 5 score is that of an ip5 running IOS 6)

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
OK - so the first Sunspider benchmark for the iPhone 5 has been released.

Note that, unlike Geekbench - this benchmark is reliable cross-platform.

----------

As I said - it's too soon to judge - as the benchmark I just posted proves.

The iPhone 5 CPU looks to be significantly faster than the SG3, despite the iPhone 5 being smaller in every dimension, and lighter - and containing a GPU which is twice as fast.

Don't really think that's the same as 'performance level which has been around half a year now'.

And by the way - the SG3 has been available for 3.5 months, not 6.

The SIII was running ICS, not Jelly Bean. The Note 2 running JB got a 972 which is very close to the iPhone 5. The SIII Geekbench test running JB easily beat the iPhone 5 score. You can expect the SIII running JB to easily beat the iPhone 5 in Sunspider once its tested too.

nmelcam

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Originally Posted by*Oriental*OK - so the first Sunspider benchmark for the iPhone 5 has been released.Note that said:
Actually if you read further you will see that the SunSpider has been declqred as an unreliable cross-platform benchmark test, and it has problems accessing the Cortex A9's memory/cache. It only does a test for the phones web browser's javascript engine. This does not have to do anything with the hardware itself. Just copy the sunspider test link on different browsers on the same phone and you will get different results. Since Safari does not have flash plugins like android browsers, so you can run a script faster, not necesarilly meaning that the whole page will open faster but you cannot view flash pages properly. The SunSpider is the same as kf you benchmarked mozilla, chome and ie on the same computer. You will get fqr different results but that doesn' t mean that the processor is faster in one or another as you are using the same pc. So remember SunSpider does not measure procesor speed in any way, and it does not measure the web browsers full performance. It only measures how fast it can manage javascripts. That is all it does and that is why it is an unreliable benchmark as in the same phone the results will be different for every web browser you use in the same device.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
This does not have to do anything with the hardware itself. Just copy the sunspider test link on different browsers on the same phone and you will get different results.

You have a point, but saying that it doesn't have anything to do with the hardware is not right. Running the same test on faster hardware will give a better result.

Since Safari does not have flash plugins like android browsers, so you can run a script faster, not necesarilly meaning that the whole page will open faster but you cannot view flash pages properly.

Sunspider does not test Flash at all, so it's completely irrelevant to the score.

nmelcam

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
You have a point, but saying that it doesn't have anything to do with the hardware is not right. Running the same test on faster hardware will give a better result.

Sunspider does not test Flash at all, so it's completely irrelevant to the score.

As you know it does not measure flash, we all know that, but the different plugins in any browser adversely affects is processing speed. For an easier explaination open IE 9 or above and if you have varios plugins installed you will receive a message to disable unused plugins as they will affect performance. About the hardware obviosely it does affect the overall speed that the browser works but the SunSpider does not measure processor speed in any way, if it measured the processor speed then you would get the same results no matter which browser you used in the device. Just do the SunSpider in Safari and then do the same test copying the test link on Opera or Chrome and you will see far different results on the same phone :)

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
As you know it does not measure flash, we all know that, but the different plugins in any browser adversely affects is processing speed. For an easier explaination open IE 9 or above and if you have varios plugins installed you will receive a message to disable unused plugins as they will affect performance.

So you turn them off before you run the test.

About the hardware obviosely it does affect the overall speed that the browser works but the SunSpider does not measure processor speed in any way, if it measured the processor speed then you would get the same results momatter which browser you used in the device. Just do the SunSpider in Safari and then do the same test copying the test link on Opera or Chrome and you will see far different results on the same phone :)

Yes, but it measures the amount of time it takes to perform a specific task. Improved algorithms definitely affects the output, but so does sheer brute force by running the test at a higher speed or on hardware that is faster by other means.

nmelcam

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
So you turn them off before you run the test.

Yes, but it measures the amount of time it takes to perform a specific task. Improved algorithms definitely affects the output, but so does sheer brute force by running the test at a higher speed or on hardware that is faster by other means.

No use in pointing out the obvious, the android test uploaded are by users that are unaware of how to disable plugins, many even don't know how plugins operate. The truth of the matter is that I myself and hunbreds of IT's have posted issues about the SunSpider as an unreliable benchmark as it does not measure the raw power of the processo, but if you think that running a javascript is sufficient to determine a systems speed, I cannot tell you otherwise. Just because my cars radio picks up station faster than a Nissan GTR does not mean that my car is faster than one, just the radio :) Not a reliable metaphore but I hope you see the point. Many IT's from companies and magazines have expressed that during the first weeks of hte iphones release more accurate and reliable benchmark tests will be done, measuring the actual processor and internal memory, read/write capabilities and so on.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
No use in pointing out the obvious, the android test uploaded are by users that are unaware of how to disable plugins, many even don't know how plugins operate. The truth of the matter is that I myself and hunbreds of IT's have posted issues about the SunSpider as an unreliable benchmark as it does not measure the raw power of the processo, but if you think that running a javascript is sufficient to determine a systems speed, I cannot tell you otherwise. Just because my cars radio picks up station faster than a Nissan GTR does not mean that my car is faster than one, just the radio :) Not a reliable metaphore but I hope you see the point. Many IT's from companies and magazines have expressed that during the first weeks of hte iphones release more accurate and reliable benchmark tests will be done, measuring the actual processor and internal memory, read/write capabilities and so on.

I just told you that I agreed! Jesus. But the cpu will affect the score as well, I'm well aware that it's not a cpu benchmark. You can compare iPhone 5 to the 4s to get the relative speed improvement of the hardware since the JS engine is the same for example.

You said:
About the hardware obviosely it does affect the overall speed that the browser works but the SunSpider does not measure processor speed in any way

It clearly does, since a cpu change will generate a different score.

clear76

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I guess it isn't all about cores and clock speed! Impressive work, Apple.

You people are not aware of the results of this geekbench app so u just talking blind or u just want to believe in what you want. This app IT'S NOT ACCURATE. If you don't believe me you should try it yourself first before taking conclusions.
I have the sgs3 and done the test not just once but several times to make sure of what's going on. So, the first time I test it the result was = 1667, second time =1237 , 3rd time = 1530 , 4th time =1846 ,5th time = 1460 , 6th time =1925 and 7th time dropped to 1695. So this app just gives you the result it wants or random selection. This app can not prove anything because the results don't make sense at all. Don't just read and believe,go and try it yourself or try to find a more trustee source than this one to help you choose the right phone. You don't want to buy cat for rabbit do you?

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I just scored only 959 on my new 64GB iPhone 5. I'm not sure if the 1601 was fake or if my score is low because I'm not yet on Cellular, because I'm working on my activation?

EDIT: Must have been the Cellular or something. I just tried again and got 1530.

Last edited:

honkj

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
glad someone took a screen shot before fandroids started faking the scores..

glad someone took a screen shot before fandroids started faking the scores..

amazing how the SIII self upgrades, and quickly too :p)

----------

The SIII was running ICS, not Jelly Bean. The Note 2 running JB got a 972 which is very close to the iPhone 5. The SIII Geekbench test running JB easily beat the iPhone 5 score. You can expect the SIII running JB to easily beat the iPhone 5 in Sunspider once its tested too.

i saw a submitted score that was negative for the SIII, obviously a lot of faking going on. obviously since the score on the average bench mark has been going up on the SIII, ever since the this story... there are a lot of faked scores being submitted...

xtago

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I just did 3 geek benchmark tests right now.

I have a Galaxy S 3 the 4core 3G international version for US people.

1st Bench was 1602

2nd Bench was 1800

3rd Bench was 1848

All these benches are uploaded on the website.

And there's a couple that are higher numbers.

These tests are on 3 cores for some reason 1 core must have been busy doing stuff.

----------

You people are not aware of the results of this geekbench app so u just talking blind or u just want to believe in what you want. This app IT'S NOT ACCURATE. If you don't believe me you should try it yourself first before taking conclusions.
I have the sgs3 and done the test not just once but several times to make sure of what's going on. So, the first time I test it the result was = 1667, second time =1237 , 3rd time = 1530 , 4th time =1846 ,5th time = 1460 , 6th time =1925 and 7th time dropped to 1695. So this app just gives you the result it wants or random selection. This app can not prove anything because the results don't make sense at all. Don't just read and believe,go and try it yourself or try to find a more trustee source than this one to help you choose the right phone. You don't want to buy cat for rabbit do you?

Those bench marks will be right.

The reason why you get drops and higher results is because while your phone is doing a benchmark test it's also polling for phone calls txt messages facebook updates twitter updates etc.

So it'll go up and down all the time it's won't be the same the same thing will happen with the iphone as well.

----------

My results aren't turning off anything if stuff was polling then fine couldn't care if it was.

The GS3 international is going to be way way faster than the iphone 5 it has 4 cores running 300Mhz faster than the 2 cores of the iphone 5.

From what I've read about the sunspider test it's not testing the processor it's testing the cache speeds, so it's more a memory test.

SurfSpirit

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2006
Macrumors, fake and liers!

MacRumors should be ashamed, photoshoping benchmarks numbers, and just comparing sunspider javascript numbers that can easily change depending on the browser and versions of OS your are using!!!

For all that want to know the truth Galaxy SIII still is fastes than iPhone 5, and the real benchmark numbers are 1753 points!!!!!

People, wakeup, iPhone is a nice phone, it's very easy to use, but are loosing the war, maybe iPhone 6 will be better.

Oriental

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Actually if you read further you will see that the SunSpider has been declqred as an unreliable cross-platform benchmark test, and it has problems accessing the Cortex A9's memory/cache. It only does a test for the phones web browser's javascript engine. This does not have to do anything with the hardware itself. Just copy the sunspider test link on different browsers on the same phone and you will get different results. Since Safari does not have flash plugins like android browsers, so you can run a script faster, not necesarilly meaning that the whole page will open faster but you cannot view flash pages properly. The SunSpider is the same as kf you benchmarked mozilla, chome and ie on the same computer. You will get fqr different results but that doesn' t mean that the processor is faster in one or another as you are using the same pc. So remember SunSpider does not measure procesor speed in any way, and it does not measure the web browsers full performance. It only measures how fast it can manage javascripts. That is all it does and that is why it is an unreliable benchmark as in the same phone the results will be different for every web browser you use in the same device.

This is nonsense.

It has no issues whatsoever accessing the A9's memory - the only criticism of the benchmark was that it may constitute a cache-intensive benchmark (on ALL devices) - which does NOT make it unreliable cross platform. Software is a factor, yes - but it's the software which comes with the device - so it's a real world test, unlike 'Geekbench'.

Cache memory is very much an important part of phone performance, but there are now a whole host of further benchmarks showing just how much faster the iPhone is:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

TheAtheistGod

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Cpu

I hate to break it to you guys but from the looks of it Geekbench only tests CPU speed and memory speed. It only shows a small fraction of what the performance is. It has no score for RAM amount, Hard drive space, graphics card power, battery life, screen restitution, ect. From the looks of it the iPhone 5s looses in a lot of those categories to current phones. Not to mention the Nvidia Tegra K1 processor that I'm guessing will ruin this score considering the Tegra 4 (The Tegra K1's predecessor) already has those scores beaten and an under clocked K1 was far than the Tegra 4. Keep in mind the Tegra K1 will be built with smartphones as a focus. The whole we're better now argument is now officially debunked because it was built on cherry picking evidence.

iPhone 5s:http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/425733
Nvidia Shield:http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/380837#

Actually lets compare android and apple as a whole as well. With Geekbench for the sake of argument.

Android:http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks
Apple:http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

This shows, from the same website that the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is in fact the fastest according to Geekbench.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I hate to break it to you guys but from the looks of it Geekbench only tests CPU speed and memory speed. It only shows a small fraction of what the performance is. It has no score for RAM amount, Hard drive space, graphics card power, battery life, screen restitution, ect. From the looks of it the iPhone 5s looses in a lot of those categories to current phones. Not to mention the Nvidia Tegra K1 processor that I'm guessing will ruin this score considering the Tegra 4 (The Tegra K1's predecessor) already has those scores beaten and an under clocked K1 was far than the Tegra 4. Keep in mind the Tegra K1 will be built with smartphones as a focus. The whole we're better now argument is now officially debunked because it was built on cherry picking evidence.

iPhone 5s:http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/425733
Nvidia Shield:http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/380837#

Actually lets compare android and apple as a whole as well. With Geekbench for the sake of argument.

Android:http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks
Apple:http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

This shows, from the same website that the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is in fact the fastest according to Geekbench.

Thanks so much for getting back to us so soon, we were all just dying to find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.