iPhone 5 "bricked" after using iOS 7 for a few days.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by marce43, Jun 16, 2013.

1. marce43 macrumors newbie

A few days ago I installed the beta version of iOS7 on my iPhone 5 (I have a developers account). Everything worked fine for a few days. This afternoon, however, I took the phone out of my pocket and discovered it was "dead". Just a little while before, battery was still at about 65%. At home, I connected it to my laptop and tried to restore it to iOS7 both in recovery mode and DFU mode. I keep getting errors: either 2001, 2006 or 3002. I looked these up, but seem to be pretty non-specific. I tired the standard solutions offered (different USB port, cable, different laptop, etc, etc), but I was not able to restore my phone.
    This really sucks. Does anybody have a suggestion, or is the only option I have left visiting the Apple store?
    Any suggestions on how to fix my phone ASAP are very much appreciated.
    Thanks,

Marc

2. iphone46 macrumors regular

The errors in the 2000s are usually USB related. Since it seems that your USB is working I would suggest it might be the phone. Try downgrading to iOS 6 then install 7 maybe?

3. marce43 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that

Hi iPhone 46,

I tried that too, but I get the same error trying to recover to iOS6 as for iOS7.
    Any other suggestions?

Marc

4. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

5. marce43 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried another MacBook Pro, even a Windows 7 PC. Tried different Lightning cable. Driving me nuts! Still 2 days before my appointment at the Apple store!

6. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

rmeadejr

if you go to the apple store, be very careful and not mention that you where on iOS 7. or lets hope they don't find out.

they won't help you

7. marce43 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I have a developer account? I didn't download it illegaly or anything.
    But thanks for the advice; I'll not volunteer that information!

Marc

8. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

If you have a dev account they will see that and help you out. No need to hide anything. Besides as soon as they plug into it they will see what you were running.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I wouldn't count on it. They don't provide developer support at the Apple store. I guess the OP will find out soon.

10. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

rmeadejr

what i have heard(i could be wrong).....the apple stores aren't supporting iOS 7, even with developers.

----------

call your apple store and ask. so at least you will know

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

No, but it's still a warranty issue with the phone. So they might still swap it out for you, or something.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

If you truly have a developer account, there is phone support for Developers during week days. Login with your Dev account, and find out the contact numbers and make the call to them and explain the issue.

13. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

rmeadejr

i just called the six apple stores around me and asked is they support iOS 7 with a developer account. 2 said yes and 4 said no. so good luck on thursday..

----------

thank you, i forgot about the support line. i will remember that for the next time

14. auero macrumors 65816

Make sure your machine doesn't have an altered hosts file preventing from iTunes contacting apple to verify the update.

Try pining albert.apple.com and gs.apple.com

15. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

BTW, this might not be an iOS7 issue but a generic one with iPhone 5's in general. I've had exactly the same issue under 6.1.2 and, then, after I got it back from the repair folks, 6.1.4 (non-JB'n). (Now my iPhone 5 has been in repair for more than two weeks. They promised it'd be ready by 20/June.)

16. BasicGreatGuy, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I installed iOS 7 on my 4s, and I noticed once yesterday and today, when I was at the Sprint store waiting to get a new upgrade, that the phone shut off suddenly, and was very hard to turn back on. I was sweatin' it, as I didn't want to lose out on $160 buyback (only paid $199.00 20 months ago). It finally turned back on, before we started setting up my new 5.

Don't know if what I experienced twice is the same as the OP, but wanted to mention it just in case.

I really like iOS7. After seeing another thread like this, not sure if I want to stick it on my brand new 5.

17. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I've had that happen several times when watching videos on my iPhone 5. The screen suddenly goes black and pushing buttons does nothing. Then, after about thirty seconds or so, the lock screen pops up and the phone works normally.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I had just used Safari, when it went black at the store. The phone had not been overheating from what I could feel. And aside from a few minor glitches, it appeared to be running well.

And like you said, after about 30 seconds or so, it came back on.

19. tarco0 macrumors newbie

something similar happened to me, my screen went black, and couldn't do anything.
    fortunately, I pressed the power button and home to reset it, and it reseted
    I've downgraded to iOS 6.1.4 now just in case... it was scary...

20. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

Tried pressing and holding power and sleep for 30 seconds? Worked for me.

22. kevink2 macrumors 65816

A couple days my phone was completely unresponsive, and blank.

Since battery life is much worse under the beta, I thought it was dead. Plugged it in to computer. Nothing. Plugged it into adapter. Nothing.

Finally did the hard power off, and it came back on (65%) power.

23. kerrikins macrumors 65816

This happened to me yesterday - pulled the phone out and it was completely black. Thought the battery was drained until I decided to do a hard power off, and then the phone restarted.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The term "bricked" should be banned in this forum. I don't even recall the last time I knew of an iPhone that was TRULY bricked.

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I guess there is a first time for everything and this is it.