iPhone 5 cases at Macworld Asia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheesesteak22, Sep 23, 2011.

1. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

2. damant macrumors 6502

damant

thanks for the links... keeping my hopes for an i5 with larger screen :)
    but seriously, they got to know something solid enough to spend $ making these cases.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

wow seems very legit and the case do look really good.

4. cheesesteak22 thread starter macrumors member

The white case in the middle of this picture below seems a little off...it looks like its shaped to fit a 3GS less the button placement.

http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/archives/2011/09/images/1344803333.jpg

5. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Is it just me or do those cases look wider than the current iPhone 4 form factor?

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Agreed. That looks very uncomfortable to hold.

10. Reach9, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'm going to wait until i hold it, but hell, it looks more comfortable than the 4 already if this is legit.

The fact that every iPhone 5 case after the case design schematic leak is the same, is a very good sign.

11. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

People should stop freaking out about the idea of a "teardrop". Even calling it a teardrop shape is overreacting, as it looks to me like the taper is ever so slight, you won't even notice.

----------

That just means several case manufacturers got ahold of the same schematic.

I severely hope it does have the teardrop design, then all the haters can keep their ip4, and I won't have the same phone as everyone else.

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

But would a company spend so much money on the design if they didn't believe it was legit? The fact that even case-mate has gotten into this is pretty self evident.

If after all of this, an iPhone 5 does not show up, then it'll be a disappointment for us, and a huge loss for case makers.

13. katana92 macrumors member

katana92

hahaha

iphone 5 iphone 5 what is iphone 5 ?????

no body knows so why keep sayin iphone 5 just say new iphone

these cases look like iPod touch 4 cases to me

14. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I'm gonna state that no company in their right mind is going to throw thousands of dollars into designing all these new cases if the "schematic" didn't come straight from Apple. It's been mentioned before that Apple let's the shell design drawings out early so case manufacturers have cases ready at launch.

I deal with NDA's all the time and Apple expects these companies to take their secrecy very seriously (under penalties).

15. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

Nonsense. When you're using slave labor you can speculate on cases and hope to win the lottery. Do you honestly believe Apple could give design info to international criminals and keep them secret?

16. kid0 macrumors member

but.. but .. BUT!!
    are the companies making em for fun?
    I mean.. it just doesn't make sense to me if they are made based on rumors. Why do that stupid thing ? x)

17. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

Isn't that obvious? The guy who guesses right on day one gets the gold ring. So he risks 1 cent of plastic and 0.1 cents of labor on one million cases for total of $11,000 and stands to get $20,000,000 dollars if he's right. Better than buying lottery tickets.

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The white case is supposed to fit the 3GS. I think that picture was just a side shot to compare to the iPhone 5 case.

19. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Why? Because when you can sell something that costs 20 cents to make for $20-30 there's a lot of money to be made and very little risk. So what if all these end up in the trash? It's a little piece of plastic. But if they're right? Then they're ready on launch day.

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I guess we'll see who's right in a couple of weeks. One side or the other is going to be eating a lot of crow. :cool:

21. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

It doesn't work like that. there is alot more involved than throwing away a piece of plastic. untold thousands, maybe millions can be lost. Not just a piece of plastic that cost 20 cents.

In order for a product to be made it has to be designed first. Apple gives these companies the case design, but they dont design the cases to fit the phone. the companies have to actually design the case, and that costs money. order raw materials, design packageing, marketing, contracts with vendors(case mate,SGP,etc.).

it is not as simple as it seems to be.

22. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Exactly. The end result may be a case that costs a buck to produce but there's a lot of R&D and setup costs up front.

Would be funny, though, if all these cases were designed off a rogue engineering drawing that everyone "assumed" was going to be the next iPhone. We'll know soon. I hope like hell not because I ain't packin' a 3.5" phone much longer.

23. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I still think we are going to see a redesigned iPhone. Looking at these cases doesn't solidify a thing but it does make me more excited for October 4.

It will be interesting to see what the rumor sites give us up until the keynote. Right now we truly have not seen definitive proof of anything. Just speculation.

Worst case scenario is we get only a spec updated iPhone. Best case scenario we get the redesign that most of us are begging for at this point.

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I hope the next iPhone is not shaped like the iPhone 4, I'll settle for rounded corners again. I like the tapered shape. I don't think a few mm shaved off the bottom will be noticible in your hand, but on a table it will be nice to have it angled towards you a bit.