iPhone 5 Charger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbro1096, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

I was watching a video of an iPhone 3GS being unboxed when I thought of something. With Apple's new iOS 5 you really don't need the data sync cable, so do you think the iPhone 5 may have a different charger and a different charging port to fit within Europes new regulations? Let me know what you think. I know it's a little out there, but I think it is possible. Either way I have my money ready for the iPhone 5, so Apple needs to hurry up and announce it! :D

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I doubt it, Apple has invested so much into having their universal dock connector I would expect them to just ship the iPhone 5 with an adapter to comply with the regulation.

3. genexrocket macrumors regular

Yea, they're not gonna redesign the universal iOS connector for all of their iOS devices. Think of how many thousands of iPod accessories would be obsolete if they did that. :D

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would they? What about all the docks etc?

Also on a side not apple comply fully with the eu regulation. The charger has a USB port and outputs a standard voltage.

5. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a good point! I didn't think about all the products that would not be usable if this was true. I don't think Apple is willing to anger that many people. Well, that puts an end to my idea pretty fastly. Haha!

6. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I really hope not. I have like 5 or 6 different chargers and I'd rather not have to replace them.

7. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I really doubt it will change, the iPhone 5 will probably support the same HDMI output as the iPad 2.

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Theres too much money in licensing the use of the Dock Connector for them to goto a standardized interface and there is still use for the Dock Connector. Not all syncing will be over air. I'd much rather transfer multiple gigs of data via a cable than over air since its much faster.

9. blarivee macrumors 6502

Don't forget that if you ever need to restore your iPhone, you still need the dock connector to connect to the computer.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

11. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Nope. They've stuck with the same design on the connector for years. They won't change it all now just because of the iPhone, remember iPods still exist.