iPhone 5 coming soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Nov 11, 2010.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Alright, take this with a grain of salt just like I am - but this is a rumor site and therefore I felt it was my obligation to share this here. I have a friend that works for a printing company, he "claims" that the company has the contract to print banners for Apple. While I have a hard time believing that, he has accurately predicted things that banners will say at Apple events the past few times. That said, he said there was a lockdown at his work last week in which they allow no one but the CEO and the Printmaster in the building for confidential projects. He told me that when he got to work he found a copy of a print that said "iPhone 5". He said that Apple usually wants final prints over two months before an event to ensure they are exactly what they want.

That said, if we are to believe what he says, we should expect an announcement of the "iPhone 5" around mid-January.

Let the flaming, arguments and hate begin.

2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

3. Mabyboi, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Verizon iPhone 4 should be in January, dummy. iPhone 5 (kick-ass AT&T - funny!?!) June/July 2011.

5. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

this makes sense.

6. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you're going to deliver insults, please deliver them in the proper bracket format. () does not equal [].

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

fail thread!
    It's funny it's a banner story, but there is no info on how the phone looks, just that it says iPhone 5....:eek::rolleyes::p

8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Who cares about the iPhone 5. Get an Evo...or a Droid 2...they apparently does.

9. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

"We introduce to you today the new iPhone 5, the biggest leap forward since AT&T. With the new iPhone 5 were bringing Verizon coverage to the world. It's gonna change the way we think about dropped calls".

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm completely sure that this won't happen.

12. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

"This time, you'll actually be able to make calls."

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Nice.

14. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

not happening. c'mon goes against everything we know about apple. and against any common sense in general.

15. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yes. Cause Apple always does EXACTLY what we expect.

16. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Haha, well said OP!

There are too many dicks on these forums as of lately. As you quite rightly said it is a rumour and this is a rumour site so there is no harm in discussing it. I personally don't think it'll happen but then I never had an issue with the iPhone 4. I'm on my third iPhone 4 (for different reasons :p) and none of them have had this antenna issue so I'm really happy with it. If they do release one in Jan I'd be a bit annoyed and probably wouldn't buy another iPhone again. A year life cycle is short enough.

17. JonTa macrumors member

That is the time for iPad v2, not next gen. iPhone

18. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

They might have surprises up their sleeve every now and then, but this would be strongly irregular.

Release Dates
    iPhone: 6/29/07
    iPhone 3G: 7/11/08
    iPhone 3GS: 6/19/09
    iPhone 4: 6/24/10

See a pattern? Every summer, within the same 2 weeks. Anything else would suggest they have quickly accelerated their development cycles. The R&D into the iPhone 4 (which will sell very well through June) needs to carry the iPhone 4 into the summer. Expect the iPhone 5 in late June, early July. And it's not because I know anything, it's because Apple *can be* predictable.

Though if I'm totally off, feel free to quote this post at a later date :)

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

But Apple has stated that they intend iPhones to last about 3 years, so they provide software updates and parts for this time.... Besides, if you always want the brand new shiny model, you can always sell your old one.

20. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

But they say they are going to release the iPhone 4 white in spring 2011. So announcing the iPhone 5 in January would be really stupid.

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

22. JulianL macrumors 65816

I have one wild theory and, if true, I'm afraid that it's bad news for your friend.

Apple is famous for its security and secrecy which sometimes looks like something out of a spy novel. Apple must use external contractors for stuff like banners and point of sale displays and maybe someone somewhere in Apple procurement is doing a project to re-assess their suppliers. Security is going to be a key quality that Apple looks for in any supplier working on products prior to launch so maybe this is a deliberate test, put out a fictitious iPhone 5 work item, covered by NDA and all the usual lectures about how security is paramount, and see if anything leaks. If it does leak then it's no big deal because it's all fake anyhow and these sort of leaks crop up all the time, most of them BS, so one that was genuinely from Apple would probably get lost in the noise.

If it was a test then I think that the company your friend works for might be just about to lose a high profile client. Let's hope it's not enough of a loss of revenue for them to need to lay off some staff because, if they trace the source of the leak, then I have another theory about who'll be first out of the door.

- Julian

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't think that words means what you think it does.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, they locked the building down, kicked everyone out, and then just forgot to pick up all the stuff they were working on at the end of the day.

He just "found a print?"

Did you ask him why his boss has the IQ of a small dog?

25. Grimes macrumors regular