iPhone 5 coming sooner than we think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrfeine, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jrfeine macrumors newbie

So we all know that Steve Jobs resigned today.

I took a look at Apple's stock and it dropped 5% which is nothing that I wouldn't expect since Steve Jobs is Apple, Inc. but then I realized that a lot of investors are upset about this and that's not what Apple wants as a corporation. So as a business student, I thought the typical next move has to be a release of a product from Apple to take away from the fact that Steve Jobs resigned. This would take away media attention from Apple and boost up their stock back to abnormally higher values. Does that mean iPhone 5 is just around the corner? As soon as they announce iPhone 5 their stock is going to skyrocket. Maybe a late August announcement?

What do you guys think?

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere.

2. Macrookie86 macrumors member

I dont think that there will be the iphone5 till oct!

3. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Nah, iPhone 5 is still going to be on track for late September/early October launch, with the event date the same as it was. I want to agree with Gizmodo's post about this: Steve Jobs's resignation letter was more about strategy than any worsening of his health (which is a relief, if you ask me). They just made it official what Apple has been working on for months now: Cook's training as CEO and Steve Jobs's gradual pull out from Apple. Stock prices will fluctuate now, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that Apple has $70 billion+ in cash. It also doesn't change the fact that many investors know that many consumers are eagerly awaiting the iPhone 5. So I suspect that tomorrow, it will be a "buy" day. At least it will be for me. As for Apple, the stock prices could hardly matter what the more important matters at hand.

4. jrfeine thread starter macrumors newbie

Very well thought out! Those are valid points but why did he resign now?!

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Until Apple announces it, there's no point in guessing. This is an unpredictable company by choice.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Ok, lets hope Apple releases the next iPhone in the next couple of weeks with iOS 4.3.5 just to make the shareholders and investors happy, and then at the end of September or early October when iOS 5 is ready and stable enough to be out of Beta, then lets update the phone and release iCloud and OS X Lion 10.7.2 all out of order, just to make the shareholders happy now and divert attention from what is currently going on.

Yup, this makes perfect sense.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If they were worried about a little stock wavering or keeping their investors happy, they would (at the very least) have waited until Friday night to announce his stepping down, instead of doing it mid-week.

As for everything else, it'd make more sense if they held to the rumor timeline... if only to separate Steve from the iPhone 5 and make it seem more like it was Cook's baby. If the iPhone 5 were announced tomorrow, it'd be seen as a parting gift from Jobs and faith in Apple would quickly drop now that he's head boss.

Instead, let Jobs' passing the torch settle down for a month, have an event, give Tim the mic, let him announce the new iPhone and iOS, his future goals, and (most importantly) remind everyone that he hasn't been in charge for just a month, but this whole year... and that everything he announced was made completely under his watch.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

Doubt it. August is practically over. Everything is pointing to a September media event, with the iPhone being released in October. Beta 6 is probably the last beta. GM is typically released the day of the event, which is probably in two weeks. It's funny how we go from a buggy Beta to a near flawless GM.

9. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i think he feels like he has done just about everything he could have hoped to with apple at this point. and lets face it, when you have money like he does, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. i just hope it wasnt because his health is getting worse

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I think it's exactly because his health is getting worse. I can't see any other reason for Steve to leave doing what he loves most.

11. PPFee, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

PPFee macrumors 6502

I can think of a few.I could make an essay out of this reply, but honestly could there be a better time. Maybe he wants to avoid the Brett Favre route; we all know Steve loves his Jeans; however, I would much rather see him go out on top in style than slinging Wranglers with built in NFC E-wallet functionality. :apple:

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

While you started this thread with good intentions, it demonstrates a profound lack of knowledge of the financial markets, especially in the bolded section.

A few things to think about:
    -The 5% drop was in after-hours trading. We'll see the real effect tomorrow
    -If the stock will definitely go higher when Apple announces the iPhone 5, why wouldn't the stock just be higher now?
    -If Steve Jobs is Apple, do you think 5% is too little of a drop?
    -What would constitute abnormally higher values for the stock?

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

Weak theory for many reasons.

1. iOS 5 isn't ready.
    2. iCloud isn't ready.
    3. New product announcements, even iPhone and iPad, have little effect on the stock price. If anything, they often lower the stock price.
    4. If your theory is true, Steve would've waited until after the announcement to resign.

14. evilblob macrumors member

This may not mean much, but for the first time, I heard 'the next iPhone' mentioned on TV in Australia.

Regarding Steve's announcement today,

'The announcement comes just weeks before the next iPhone announcement.'

15. Muro macrumors 6502

I agree, they probably could let him resign after the keynote but then they wouldn't had an stockbooster coming up in a short time. Therefor I can understand they want the next keynote to take away fast the Jobs issue.

16. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Yup, any new product (software, hardware) in the past has always caused the stock to go down.

So no, iPhone 5 is NOT coming out until October. I thought we all had agreed on that already. :rolleyes:

17. shadrap macrumors 6502

I think Steve resigning now means we are further away from the iPhone 5 announcement. They will want to wait until the buzz of his resignation calms. That way when Tim Cook does the keynote he will be standing on his own, without the shadow of Steve's resignation.

18. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs leaving is already priced into the stock. It got a brief hit from reaction based sellers. It will rebound quickly.

19. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

20. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I agree, I believe this is a timing thing. They will allow the dust to settle from this announcement, then we will hear about a Keynote being scheduled.

If the iPhone 5 was announced prior to him stepping down, their new product would be overshadowed and lost in the news stories of his resignation.

21. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I hope he still does the media events. It would suck not to have him doing the demos.. :(

22. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I just don't believe this.
    I have friends at Apple and his health is not the big mystery it once was.
    He doesn't hide.
    The rank-and-file see him day-in and day-out.
    He eats at the company cafeteria with them.
    And in only a matter of months, the water-cooler talk has gone from "Jobs is doing great" to "Jobs ain't looking so good."
    Back in May they were seriously discussing whether Jobs would still be around by the end of this year.

23. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

X2

I wouldn't doubt this.. Just by the way he looked at the last media event.. He looked like he was going to fall over... I more than willing too bet this has something to do with his health..

If they company is doing so well and if not for your health, why would you step down now? Maybe they know something we don't know, like maybe steve's days are numbered IDK, but for a successful CEO to step down almost out of the blue, it can't be good.

James

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I agree. At the last event, not only did he not look too good, but he didn't sound too good either. There was something in his voice when he spoke. Almost like you could tell how tired he was.

25. cinek macrumors 6502

if it's not ready, it's not ready - we won't see it any sooner. It might have been a good move, but I don't think that'll happen