Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
You are correct there, yes... but like others, we are most upset about the fact of how much we pay for extra storage. There is an addition $90 of profit in the 32 GB model compared to the 16 GB. and there is an addition $169 of margin in the 64 GB model.

If they charged $199, $249, and $299 on contract. Their margins would still be huge, and there would still be additional margin on larger capacity versions. An additional $40 on the 32 GB model and an additional $69 on the 64 GB model (That is just additional margin compared to the margin already built into the 16 GB model).

That is why people may be upset. It did not take any additional R&D for the 64 GB model compared to the 16 GB model. Just different RAM, meaning we pay $200 additional for something they pay $31 additional for...

----------

Well said...the Apple fanboys/apologists out there don't seem to get it.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
Don't be an idiot. Yes, Apple needs to spend money on R&D, manufacturing, etc..but the fact that they have 50B+ USD in the bank means they definitely aren't hurting and they have very healthy margins. Grossly overcharging a consumer for things like more RAM does make Apple greedy.

And as previously stated, if there was only $30 difference between models, nobody would buy the 16 or 32gb models.

Marketing genius clearly.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
LOL, funny funny! Such a jokester!

Actually you're right... They probably do make min wage - 365 days in a year x 24 hours in a day x min wage ($8.25?) = $72,270 ... reasonable for entry level hardware R&D.

Really? That's quite low give Scilicon Valley wage... Especially rumor of how much a slave driver the Tim Cook/Job management style is...

kdarling

macrumors P6
So we are getting phones at cost, how much profit is being made by the carriers with the data plans?

We might pay $200 upfront, but the carrier pays Apple over $600 per iPhone. (Average $640, I think. It's a big upfront cash hit and affects carrier stocks. This is a major reason why they often push non-Apple devices in their stores.)

We then pay the carrier back for this $400+ loan over a two year contract, at a rate of about $20 per month. (AT&T has stated it takes an average 20 months for them to get back the subsidy.)

WHAT DOES IT COST TO MAKE AN IPHONE?

People keep bringing up R&D and other costs, but never seem to sit down and calculate them. So I did. Using figures from filings and recently revealed Apple trial testimony:

Apple makes an average 53% gross profit margin ($340) on iPhones. That's their raw revenue after paying for the parts, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, and patent licenses per device.

Of that $340 gross per phone, about $20 goes to R&D, $50 to support Apple employees and buildings and sales and ads, and $70 is put aside for taxes... leaving a nice net profit of $200 (30% net margin) per phone.

Note that the R&D portion allocated here is probably high. Perhaps double or more. iPhone revenue is so much higher than other devices, it undoubtedly subsidizes R&D for lower margin devices like the iPad, iPod, Apple TV, etc.

Summary: Out of the $640 Apple sells each iPhone for, $300 goes to making it, $140 goes to corporate costs, leaving $200 or more clear profit to stick in the bank.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
Manufacturing is $8??? Unbelievable. It's a joke when compared to the rest. How much more would it cost to build in the US?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Engineering and test is part of R&D. Production is included in the table above. Marketing, distribution and sales is handled in large part by the carriers.

Not in my world. R&D is pre-production: prototyping, conceptual modeling, etc. Once those efforts flesh out requirements then it goes to engineering, production, test, etc.

That's hilarious! What makes you think Apple doesn't have huge marketing cost associated with their MOST POPULAR global product?

Distribution and sales IS NOT only handled by the carriers. Ever been in an Apple store, on the Apple site.

Did you even read the article? It says right up front:

"the estimate, which does not include numerous other costs involved in product development, manufacturing, and sales, such as research and development, software, patent licenses, marketing, and distribution expenditures"

(People living in a fantasy world...)

Dobiewonkanobie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
The thing that stood out to me was the $8 for assembly.

----------

Manufacturing is $8??? Unbelievable. It's a joke when compared to the rest. How much more would it cost to build in the US?

I've read somewhere that it wouldn't cost much more to make in the US. The problem is the lack of supporting infrastructure,. For example all the small parts like screws and such made by others. In China it's just down the street if you run out. It could be weeks if not local, and the more that becomes prevelent the harder it is to run a lean manufacturing system, then costs go up.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Well said...the Apple fanboys/apologists out there don't seem to get it.

I was hoping throughout the rumor mill that we would see decreased prices because you can buy a 64 GB microSD card for $70... Yet we have to pay $200 more for an additional 48 GB, where apple is paying $31. No need to gouge those who want more storage on their phone to that degree.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Manufacturing is $8??? Unbelievable. It's a joke when compared to the rest.

The manufacturing cost is actually higher than it used to be.

Interestingly, Foxconn had a 2.7% profit margin back in 2007, but that has dropped to 1.5% over the years, so they're making less in profit now.

Probably a combination of higher wages, more complicated designs, and Apple negotiating the lowest price possible.

How much more would it cost to build in the US?

Depends on the automation.

IIRC, there was a video talking about an iPhone going through 50 workers to be built, a step at a time.

In the US, most of those steps would be done by robot. And, in fact, that's why Foxconn is buying one million robots over the next few years.

Also, in the US, each soldered board would be examined by automated 3D X-Ray for flaws. At Foxconn, it's only one board out of every batch of ... hundreds? So the US longterm yield would be better.

Apple once made a big deal about how easy it was to get Chinese manufacturing engineers, and about how "all the factory engineering firms in the US would fit" in the exhibit room or something. Of course, that's actually over 5,000 such firms, each with up to a dozen employees. Typical Apple handwaving to avoid questions.

The problem is profit margin more than anything. You could increase the cost of manufacturing from $8 to $80 and Apple would STILL profit more than most any other phone maker in the world. But that's not their style.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
So we are getting phones at cost, how much profit is being made by the carriers with the data plans?

People don't get phones at cost.

And cell carriers are in the game to make a profit to....though people always give Apple a pass while the telco's work on a MUCH slimmer profit margin.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You probably think that aluminum in iPhone costs more than $2 :D Aluminum (or plastic) is not what defines the quality and cost of the device. As it turns out iPhone 5 is a relatively cheap phone. Nothing surprising here. Given the fact that Apple skimped on many components (lower resolution screen, no NFC chip, no second radio chip, just 1GB of RAM etc.) its BOM is lower than the competitors. Here are some BOM numbers for other phones:

Nokia 900 - $209
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - $235.50

Link

I have not seen numbers for Galaxy SIII but they should be higher than that for Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.

This puts iPhone 5 into a upper middle class among smart phones but way behind the elite phones.

The international version of the SIII only has 1GB RAM as well: http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphone/GT-I9300MBDTGY.

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
We might pay $200 upfront, but the carrier pays Apple over $600 per iPhone. (Average $640, I think. It's a big upfront cash hit and affects carrier stocks. This is a major reason why they often push non-Apple devices in their stores.)

We then pay the carrier back for this $400+ loan over a two year contract, at a rate of about $20 per month. (AT&T has stated it takes an average 20 months for them to get back the subsidy.)

WHAT DOES IT COST TO MAKE AN IPHONE?

People keep bringing up R&D and other costs, but never seem to sit down and calculate them. So I did. Using figures from filings and recently revealed Apple trial testimony:

Apple makes an average 53% gross profit margin ($340) on iPhones. That's their raw revenue after paying for the parts, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, and patent licenses per device.

Of that $340 gross per phone, about $20 goes to R&D, $50 to support Apple employees and buildings and sales and ads, and $70 is put aside for taxes... leaving a nice net profit of $200 (30% net margin) per phone.

Note that the R&D portion allocated here is probably high. Perhaps double or more. iPhone revenue is so much higher than other devices, it undoubtedly subsidizes R&D for lower margin devices like the iPad, iPod, Apple TV, etc.

Summary: Out of the $640 Apple sells each iPhone for, $300 goes to making it, $140 goes to corporate costs, leaving $200 or more clear profit to stick in the bank.

Thanks for posting this. There's no need for everyone to guess what their margins are, they publish them every quarter. This post sums that up nicely.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
If you're hiring someone to build and install a fence on your property, and they quote you 5 days time at $3,000.... then you point out that the wood and nails only cost $400, are they ripping you off?

Cost of materials is not the complete cost of anything. Maybe Apple should sell a do-it-yourself iPhone kit for $200, and see if any of you can put it together?

No one is saying they shouldn't make money. That would just be stupid. But they are like crack dealers. :eek: LOL

Edit:

I’ll sell you the crack cheap but you pay big $$$ for the needle and spoon. LOL

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
If there was decent alternatives then we wouldn’t be paying these prices. My wife has a new ION and the thing has a two year old OS. :confused:
I don't care what features android has the typing and work correction sucks.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Thanks for posting this. There's no need for everyone to guess what their margins are, they publish them every quarter. This post sums that up nicely.

Yep, where Apple's income goes to is pretty much laid out in their filings.

Now, where the money comes from, that was the big surprise revealed in the Apple v. Samsung case evidence. Previously analysts had estimated the iPhone gross profit margin to be 35-50%. The trial documents revealed that it was higher than anyone thought: 49%-57% depending on model, IIRC.

This also meant that the iPhone now accounts for almost 60% of Apple's profits, which helps explain why they're so serious about trying to stop any competition via legal means. A lot at Apple is riding on the iPhone selling well.

OTOH, iPads have much lower profit margins, and thus are not a huge factor. That was a slight surprise, too.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
A product that is $649 retail includes a profit margin for the store that is selling it as well. Also, there are other costs involved, as others have mentioned.

It's sold directly from Apple at $649 ($700 in Canada even though our dollar is worth more than the American dollar).

I would guess that non-Apple retail outlets are lucky to get even $10 from the sale of an iPhone, probably much less.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's sold directly from Apple at $649 ($700 in Canada even though our dollar is worth more than the American dollar).

I would guess that non-Apple retail outlets are lucky to get even $10 from the sale of an iPhone, probably much less.

A retailer would never sell a $649 item for only a $10 profit. They would go out of business very fast.

Their profit is probably more like $200.

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Agree...

They could afford to be at

$169

$249

$349

On contract and pass some of that memory savings onto customers.

But... then again.... they sold 2 million in 24 hours.... I think they have little incentive to cut the price.

Nope, Apple can't do that. They're always under pressure by investors to improve sales quarter over quarter. When profits drop, the stock price will drop.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
A retailer would never sell a $649 item for only a $10 profit. They would go out of business very fast.

Their profit is probably more like $200.

You are dreaming in technicolor. I would bet you $10,000 right now that it;s closer to $2 than it is to $200.

Walk into your local Best Buy and ask the manager how much they make on the sale of an iPhone. It's almost nothing.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008

Yes, it's sold directly by Apple as well of course, although the majority of phones can't be sold by Apple directly I imagine, but in that case there is a cost involved with the store as well. Anyway, the actual numbers have been published so the speculation can end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.