Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I've had the phone for 3 1/2 days now and my screen is broken. I should have kept the phone in my right pocket in my car since I realized that the phone sometimes slides out of my wool pants since it's so slippery without the bumper case providing friction. Anyway, as I stepped out of my car I heard my phone land on the ground about 1 1/2 feet from my seat. The phone slipped out of my pocket as I was getting out of my car.

I wish a bumper case was available at launch since I've used it on my iPhone 4 since launch day. I actually went through 3 bumper cases on my iPhone 4 in the 2 years and 3 months since the rubber wears away and rips over time.

Yes, accidental damage and my fault, but why hell wasn't the case available at launch? I made an appointment at the apple store and they said $229 for a replacement. Interestingly, the guy just to my left had a broken iphone 5 screen as well, caused by a guy walking into him.

Also, since this glass screen is much thinner than the previous iphone 4, isn't it more fragile as well? So more fragile phone and no apple approved cases.

Definite bummer, my first iphone with a cracked screen. I've owned the original/iphone4/iphone5 and also purchased the 3G/iphone4/iphone5 for my wife. I've had the infrequent drop with the others, but they all withstood the fall, even a couple of times without a case. My wife is scared of using her phone and dropping it since she's always had a case on each previous model and she has trouble gripping things due to juvenile arthritis damaging her joints.

I do love the phone, but feel ripped off having to pay $230 to fix a 3 day old screen. Why can't they charge the actual cost for glass and labor with a 25% markup? It would go a long way for customer service for making such a fragile slippery phone and not offering any cases.

Check with your credit card company. It may be covered under their 90 days accidental damage insurance (including theft and loss). My Citi MasterCard and AMEX both have 90 days accidental coverage and an additional year of warranty (does not cover accidental damage, theft, or loss).

These perks are free with most cards.

mpapaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Yup. I cracked my screen last night. Slipped out of my polyester Adidas track pants pocket. Albeit a shallow pocket. And right on to the concrete front step of my house. I did purchase Apple Care + on launch day, so $99+$49 later and I have a brand new replacement.
I felt awful walking into the Apple Store tonight. No Genius Bar appointment, I found the manager (wearing a black shirt, not blue). Told him what happened and he set me up with someone immediately to do the swap. Backed up the broken phone over wi-fi through iCloud and it was as painless as possible. I said that I couldn't possibly be the first and the employee said, Nope. A girl came back after purchasing a phone on launch day--dropped it in the parking lot on the way to her car. No Apple Care, so she spent an additional $229 to replace a phone she owned for just 10 minutes. OUCH! Whether he was making the story up or it was actually true, didn't matter. I somehow felt a little better about the whole ordeal.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
That sucks dude. This is exactly why I always get AppleCare+ for iPhone/iPad, cheaper in the long run to be a little careless than not getting AC+ and always worrying.

Enjoy your replacement and get a bumper. SGP just released theirs.

Yes but applecare doesn't cover accidents by the user. Only defects from the factory.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I've had the phone for 3 1/2 days now and my screen is broken. I should have kept the phone in my right pocket in my car since I realized that the phone sometimes slides out of my wool pants since it's so slippery without the bumper case providing friction. Anyway, as I stepped out of my car I heard my phone land on the ground about 1 1/2 feet from my seat. The phone slipped out of my pocket as I was getting out of my car.

I wish a bumper case was available at launch since I've used it on my iPhone 4 since launch day. I actually went through 3 bumper cases on my iPhone 4 in the 2 years and 3 months since the rubber wears away and rips over time.

Yes, accidental damage and my fault, but why hell wasn't the case available at launch? I made an appointment at the apple store and they said $229 for a replacement. Interestingly, the guy just to my left had a broken iphone 5 screen as well, caused by a guy walking into him.

Also, since this glass screen is much thinner than the previous iphone 4, isn't it more fragile as well? So more fragile phone and no apple approved cases.

Definite bummer, my first iphone with a cracked screen. I've owned the original/iphone4/iphone5 and also purchased the 3G/iphone4/iphone5 for my wife. I've had the infrequent drop with the others, but they all withstood the fall, even a couple of times without a case. My wife is scared of using her phone and dropping it since she's always had a case on each previous model and she has trouble gripping things due to juvenile arthritis damaging her joints.

I do love the phone, but feel ripped off having to pay $230 to fix a 3 day old screen. Why can't they charge the actual cost for glass and labor with a 25% markup? It would go a long way for customer service for making such a fragile slippery phone and not offering any cases.

I swear.... people are NEVER HAPPY.

3G - back is plastic, scratches, boohoo
4/4S - it's all glass, it's going to crack and scratch. BOOHOO
5 - it's all metal, thinner lighter, its going to scratch and dent .. booohooo

Get off it already. Just because someone else's phone survived a drop doesn't mean yours will. So many variables. GLASS BREAKS. Get over it. If you don't want a phone that breaks so easy, stop dropping it, don't use a phone or fine an all plastic phone instead.

Not Apple's fault at all. It's not cheaper, thinner glass.

Jesus already.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I bet screen replacements are going to be pretty pricey with the iPhone 5. I would imagine having the touch sensor built into it will increase the price.

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA

the screen is thinner as in the sum of all the components (lighting, lcd, touch sensor, and glass) are all together to make a thinner display not a thinner glass. where does it say that the glass is thinner. i swear this forum is killing me with all the stuff people are complaining about. you dropped it. how is that apple's fault??? in your post you went from saying my fault to completely blaming apple for it. you're nuts.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I swear.... people are NEVER HAPPY.

3G - back is plastic, scratches, boohoo
4/4S - it's all glass, it's going to crack and scratch. BOOHOO
5 - it's all metal, thinner lighter, its going to scratch and dent .. booohooo

Get off it already. Just because someone else's phone survived a drop doesn't mean yours will. So many variables. GLASS BREAKS. Get over it. If you don't want a phone that breaks so easy, stop dropping it, don't use a phone or fine an all plastic phone instead.

Not Apple's fault at all. It's not cheaper, thinner glass.

Jesus already.

Finally someone that speaks the truth.:)
Nothing is indestructible, especially when it comes to cellphones. No matter what they use people will complain.
You cannot make everyone happy.
And some people even after dozens of replacements still cant be satisfied and will find flaws in every iphone on their quests for the "perfect" iphone:D

Sjf73

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012

To be fair, as is the case with any phone, you should be able to use the iPhone 5 without a case. If it were imperative that it had one, Apple should supply one with the phone.

None of my 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S phones have had cases. They've been used and abused in the same way as any other mobile phone I've owned going right back to the Motorola Dynatac and Nokias of their day. They've lived in my pockets, cubby holes in cars, have dropped on concrete, Tarmac and hard floors but apart from a few resulting marks and scratches as you would expectant, I have never actually broken an iPhone in any way as a result.

All of those phones have actually looked and felt in my hands as if they would stand up to a fair bit of abuse, in spite of the glass components.

But actually just thinking about it, and holding it in my hand as I type this, I guess it stands to reason that if the 5 is longer and thinner but the same width as the 4, and some of those parts in the 4 that were made of steel are now made of aluminium in the 5, that's could have a few effects on potential overall strength?

A longer screen means more glass area, so a greater chance of breakage. That's just an indisputable given.

The weaker aluminium compared to steel means other components including the glass are taking the stresses that steel would in the 4.

I'm just wondering if Apple have in part at least deliberately designed the 5 to make us think "hmmm...this does feel in the hand like it needs a case", or at least were happy when it did look/feel like that in the hand.
(That's not an anti-Apple comment before the fanatical factions start hammering out their usual neurosis in response.....It's just business and to an extent would be understandable if it were the erm....case....Pardon the pun).

To me, as an owner of one, the 5 does feel potentially more fragile than previous iphones.
It's possible Apple have got pretty sick of spending fortunes repairing internal components under warranty broken through phones being dropped.

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Applecare+ is always the best option and people who say it is too expensive clearly only have 16gb iPhones.

Having a 64gb iPhone and Applecare+ puts my mind at ease sooo much!
Especially if you're a cluts like me :D

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Check with your credit card company. It may be covered under their 90 days accidental damage insurance (including theft and loss). My Citi MasterCard and AMEX both have 90 days accidental coverage and an additional year of warranty (does not cover accidental damage, theft, or loss).

These perks are free with most cards.

Yep. 100% agree.

Just replaced my iPad 2 18 months old out of warranty cause my 2 year kid dropped the iPad 2 too many times and touch sensor stopped working on the upper left hand corner.

iPad 2 in tough Griffith military case. He had done a lot of damage before I got the case. But screen was still perfect.

Paid the $250 for replacement of iPad 2. Filed claim with Amex. Faxed in necessary documents. Amex refundede the entire $250 plus taxes for my out of warranty iPad 2 within 9 days of filing claim.

Cost of warranty to me. Free.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I always lol big time when i see these storys :D (but sorry for what just happend) the thing i have drop my 4 and 4s many many times still looks like new :) im not talking about little bumps etc seriously big impacts and rolling on the floor.

When the iphone 4 launched some of my friends where saying that it looks fragile etc etc guess what i did ? I tossed the phone 2 times in the floor just for the plesure, something told me it just wouldnt brake :p stupid i know but that iphone still looks like new and works perfect.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I wish apple have apple care + options for customers outside the USA. Plus we don't get an option to pay for just a simple screen replacement either with apple. It's always a replacement phone they would give. Even though I love apple but wish they had a fair policy across the world.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I wish apple have apple care + options for customers outside the USA. Plus we don't get an option to pay for just a simple screen replacement either with apple. It's always a replacement phone they would give. Even though I love apple but wish they had a fair policy across the world.

Me too :(

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I always lol big time when i see these storys :D (but sorry for what just happend) the thing i have drop my 4 and 4s many many times still looks like new :) im not talking about little bumps etc seriously big impacts and rolling on the floor.

When the iphone 4 launched some of my friends where saying that it looks fragile etc etc guess what i did ? I tossed the phone 2 times in the floor just for the plesure, something told me it just wouldnt brake :p stupid i know but that iphone still looks like new and works perfect.

You keep telling yourself that, but whatever you might say, your 4/4S does not look like new.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Yes, regural Applecare doesnt.
Applecare Plus covers user accidents, cracked screens, liquid damage etc..
It has a $50 deductible and costs $99 to purchase the coverage for 2 full years.

I never knew that had a PLUS. When was that invented??

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
You say you know it was your fault and yet you are not wanting to pay to have it fixed?:rolleyes:

The price of repair did not change when you dropped your phone, it was the same.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Surprising, after all the drop tests i've seen. The phone looked pretty durable.
That's why I ignore drop tests, they don't prove a thing.

If it's portable, it's subject to breakage.

That's not a bad reflection on Apple or any other manufacturer.

Only purpose built rugged portables like a Panasonic ToughBook are likely to survive.

Smartphones will always be a trade off. You either get a good looking one, or you enclose it in a big thick Otter Box type of case.

To the OP: sorry to hear of the accident.

It's happened to me in exactly the same way. It just goes to prove, no matter how careful we are, these things do happen.

andysutton2073

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
The same exact thing just happened to me. I know it was my fault, but I do agree with the original poster that $230 is a terrible price, especially only 30 days into it. I'd happily pay $75, or hell even $100 to replace or fix it, but $230 is outrageous. I had a 4 and a 4s, and dropped both the same way several times and it never even so much as scratched it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The same exact thing just happened to me. I know it was my fault, but I do agree with the original poster that $230 is a terrible price, especially only 30 days into it. I'd happily pay $75, or hell even $100 to replace or fix it, but $230 is outrageous. I had a 4 and a 4s, and dropped both the same way several times and it never even so much as scratched it.

What difference does it make if its 30 days into it or 6 months in? It still sucks.
If you dont want to pay the replacement fee you can wait for 3rd party sellers to start releasing screen replacements or shops that will do it for you for cheaper.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Buy AppleCare+ and file a claim in a week or so to replace your screen. It would cost you $150, and you'll get insurance for 2 years. Better deal than paying $229.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You drop the phone due to your fault, you pay for the replacement, fair. But I can feel your pain and $230 is expensive :(

There are a lot of 3rd party cases available on the market for the iPhone 5, why didn't you get them? Why must you use Apple bumpers? Apple didn't make any cases for the first iPhone, 3G and 3GS AFAIK but the 4 had it due to the infamous antenna issue. The 4S has same dimensions so the bumper still worked. The correlation between you dropping the phone to the ground breaking it and Apple doesn't provide a bumper is way too remote.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

No iPhone dropped a few times looks "like new". Your devices have suffered no significant damage, but there will be scuffs, marks, or scratches and in no way will it look like "new".

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
No iPhone dropped a few times looks "like new". Your devices have suffered no significant damage, but there will be scuffs, marks, or scratches and in no way will it look like "new".

Well i can take pictures if you like but what will be the purpose ? Im not defending nobody mate lol i was just sharing my storys because ive always been lucky with devices, another story is of my launch day xbox :) the thing still works with no problem and never got the RRD :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.