iPhone 5 Delayed to get Quad-Core A6 Ready?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arcadia310, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

I've been thinking about this for a while now and it makes more sense the closer we get to the end of the year. On the Android side of things, we are getting very close to seeing phones/tablets with dual core 1.5+ Ghz processors, and tablets with quad core by the end of the year. The first quad core Android phones will come early in 2012, and the next Nexus phone will most likely use a dual-core 1.5Ghz OMAP4460.

Would Apple push back the iPhone an extra 3-4 months just for cosmetic changes? Nope. Would they push it back just because they could? Probably not. If the phone was ready for a June/July release launch, they would have launched it. Period. Why wasn't it ready in June/July? The hardware.

Think about it. Why would Apple release the iPhone 5 in Sep/Oct with only a 1Ghz dual-core processor? Don't get me wrong, I know Apple doesn't like to play along with the whole specs race game, but they certainly wouldn't like to be outclassed for an entire year either. Apple has the R&D money necessary to get the A6 ready by Fall of this year, just in time for an iPhone 5 launch.

If the iPhone 5 released with a quad-core A6 processor, just imagine how far ahead it would be of nearly every smartphone on the market. It would dwarf Google's next Nexus phone and nearly every phone until late Q1/Q2 next year. Also, the A6 is going to be on a MUCH smaller die than the A5 which gives Apple much greater possibilities to make the device thinner.

It also makes sense for the next iPad. If Apple does in fact release an iPad 3/iPad Pro this year, it wouldn't be because they could stick a retina display on it. It would be because they have a massive hardware upgrade ready, being the next-gen A6 processor. That's the only logical reason for Apple to release a new iPad so early in the game. It's also the only reason why Apple would release a new iPad and iPhone SIMULTANEOUSLY outside of their usual release date time frames. I HIGHLY doubt Apple would release a new line of iPads simply because of a resolution increase. It would severely limit the regular iPad line and would confuse/piss consumers off.

Here's an interesting article about the A6 processor: http://blogs.computerworld.com/18629/apples_a6_processor_28_nm_3d_ic_and_made_by_tsmc

What do you guys think? If you know anything more about the A6 processor feel free to post it. My knowledge of it is pretty limited. :apple:

2. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Not a chance in my opinion. Apple has never been after cramming in better specs, and it doesn't need to be. Also, I'm sure Apple probably has a projected technology roadmap worked out long before each iPhone is even created, so they most likely would have thought about this, if they even have interest in a quad-core A6.

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Sorry but I don't agree. Someone in another thread said it perfectly... Apple doesn't need to play the spec game because their software is specifically made to marry perfectly with their hardware. Google can throw a quad core in their next phone, and an iPhone running a dual core with iOS will STILL run smoother. It may not pass it up in a benchmark, but that's irrelevant because iOS will never run the choppy slop they call an OS over at Google.

And as far as most people are concerned, Apple is still testing the A6 - months away from a release in a current iOS device.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still think it'll be the A5. Quad-core wouldn't really benefit...

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why do you need a Quad core? Why?! Are you trying to be the guy who can reach the next highest pi decimal on the phone? Or, are you trying to be that guy who gloats on having 4 cores on a cellphone?

I don't get what is the obsession with 4 cores on a CELLPHONE. One core is enough, two cores is already too much. I can see dual core for the GPU being just fine and four cores the next thing, but the CPU? No.

6. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

First off, I never implied that I wanted a quad-core or that I'm trying to reach the "next highest pi decimal" on a phone. And just so you know, the current GPU in the A5 chip has 8 cores. :roll eyes:

Will most people need this kind of power? Nope. Do I claim to need this much power? Nope. The main reason is for gaming. If you've been under a rock, gaming is becoming a huge industry on mobile devices and see huge advances when newer hardware is released.

Since these are just CELLPHONES, why do we need anything past a 3 year old 600Mhz processor without a GPU?

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Exactly, I don't see any need for a quad core on a phone besides saying you can do it. Mobile applications now don't need that much power, and I have a hard time seeing them ever needing that much power unless developers get lazy about optimizing code. I just don't think a phone form factor is any good for applications that would require that kind of power.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Apple wouldn't pass up the chance to sell a dual core phone before making users upgrade to a quad core in a few revisions. The A5 is still good.

EDIT: people seem to think a quad core processor would be put there just for extra power. They could also underclock the hell out of it for awesome battery life without a performance hit.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

But not the A4, which is being currently used. And the A5 has dual cores (two 543s), pipes or number of SIMDs is an entire different thing :rolleyes: please be informed before rolling eyes.

Gaming is never CPU bounded. It always GPU bounded. You really don't. The games we now enjoy are a luxury. A cellphone was meant as a means to communicate via voice. Companies added extra features and functionality to make it better and much more attractive, but in the end it is still a CELLPHONE.

Cellphones work just fine with 50 MHz CPUs to do talk and text. Everything is has always been luxury and will always be that.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

if they under clocked it then wouldn't apps that aren't optimized for multiple cores run slower. I don't think apple wants everyone complaining that their new shiny iPhone is slower than their old one because some developers didn't optimize their apps.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Apple has never been about the specs game.

Look at their Macs and iPods. There are other computers that are cheaper and have more power than the iMacs and MacBook Pros. When the iPod classic was still very popular, there were other mp3/pmp players that could do other things that iPods couldn't do and were cheaper and had superior audio quality. Apple is about their ecosystem that you can be part of.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm not really knowledgeable in this area, but I figure they would have some solution to this, like a toolkit for devs to make it easy or have the phone utilize an appropriate amount of power per app or somthing.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The only reason we didn't get a new iPhone in late June/July is, iOS 5 wasn't ready. ;)

14. nawras94 macrumors member

thats very stupid the iphone 4 can barley last the whole day
    but 4 cores not much battery life left

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

A processor isn't like a car engine, it won't use more and more power with each core added. The main factor is the strain put on the processor, so more cores could do a lot of good by minimising the strain on each core.

Think of it like this. If you have a man dig 8 holes, he'll be exhausted, but if you have 4 men dig 2 holes each, the job is done faster and the men are not as tired at the end.

16. Cingular macrumors regular

Apple will be using A5 for at least one more year from now IMO.
    Apple doesn't need to play the catch up game with other phone manufacturers.
    People will still keep on buying iphone's, ipod's, ipad's, etc. Plus iCloud will reinforce the "buy Apple only" mentality.

17. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Well of course the iPhone 5 will have the A5 chip..

If it doesnt.. oh god LOL.

Also, Im pretty sure iPhone 5 was delayed due to iOS5. Because the two are so closely perfected. Being the iPhone 5 PROBABLY has tech, relying on iOS5's features.

18. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

TSMCs proposed chip for the A6 only went into testing a few weeks ago and reportedly won't be ready for volume production before end of year. With 30% increase in performace and 50% decrease in power consumption, it is a very nice chip. I would love the readiness of an A6 to be some misdirection on Apple's part, but I don't expect to see it in any products for another six to eight months.

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Damn! :eek:

50% decrease is power consumption is awesome :D (even if lighting up the screen is still the main battery killer)

Still progress is progress :)

20. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Looks promising but not for now. LTE and the A6 might just be joined together in the next iPhone, just maybe.

21. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

We only need 640k of ram.

The rest has been luxury since all that time.

Sound good?

22. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm gonna agree with the OP. While I don't have any idea about processor specs, I do think Apple has some hardware improvements they are refining for the next iPhone. I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it just doesn't make sense to make an iPhone 5 (or 4S) slap an A5 and bigger camera on it and start making "magical" commercials.

This is not Apple's forte'

Apple has released every iteration of the iPhone like clockwork. Now they are getting off a normal release schedule, why? To introduce an aging A5 chip seams a bit of a stretch. I've got a 2nd gen Apple TV and an iPad 2 (both with the A5). Both included the A5 chip well before the summer iPhone release cycle. My point...the technology has been there all along for the rumored iPhone 5 upgrade spec. Everyone keeps clamoring about the new iPhone 5 and what it will have. Seems the 2 biggest (agreed upon rumors) are an A5 and better camera. Really? I just don't see a delay this long being caused by technology that's already been used by Apple in other devices (save the camera).

I'm not predicting anything better than the A5, what I am saying is we are gonna see serious hardware improvements for Apple to delay their flagship device this long. I just can't see Apple making a new and improved iPhone with iPad 2 specs and asking the general public to embrace it. Something is in the Apple crockpot...can't wait to see what comes out.

23. Arcadia310, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

A lot of you seem to forget that A6 is a 28nm processor and will theoretically use 50% less power than the A5. Everyone is so caught up in the word "quad" that you've forgotten that the whole point of mobile processors: efficiency, power consumption, and size. If Apple had the chance to use A6 they would, not because its more powerful, but because it would lead to an overall thinner device that uses much less power.

Its like a car manufacturer having two engines: one is bigger and sucks up much more gas while the other is smaller, uses less gas, and is more powerful! Do you really think they wouldn't use that? Come on now.

Edit: CosmoPilot put it nicely. This is really the only way I could justify Apple waiting this long to release the iPhone. It would be underwhelming if it was just A5 and an 8mp camera, especially when other phones have had comparable/better specs for months now. The best they could do is increase the screen size and make the device much thinner, but the Galaxy S II did that nearly 6 months ago! Again, Apple wouldn't wait this long just to be severely outclassed for the next year. Imagine what the Galaxy S III would bring!

24. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The A4 is fast ... the A5 will feel incredible compared to the A4. I would be happy with slight spec bump and that's all the i4 needs to stay on the top as it is now, but we all know it's going to get much more after the delay.

I don't see Apple delaying a product for a power-hungry CPU that isn't required to run iOS 5 smoothly.

25. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Again, A6 uses 50% less power than A5 does!