iPhone 5 features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antster94, Sep 17, 2010.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Hey guys,

What else can they put in? Only thing I'm thinking is a bigger screen, that's it.

2. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I just talked to Steve Jobs yesterday, he said he'll let you know in June 2011.

3. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

There are a lot of things to put on it, just not all of them are very cost effective and/or efficient enough yet. That's why we'll see slow upgrades from year to year.

4. kevink2 macrumors 65816

iPhone 5 will use the new iPod nano screen. And finally have a physical keyboard. And support both verizon and AT&T. Using LTE.

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Hey, me too! He was kind of pissed about the ninja star thing, so I am thinking he was planning on putting a ninja star launcher into the iPhone 5. Not sure what he's going to do since Japan wouldn't let him take the samples out of the country though.

6. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

He's going to make the iPhone 5 unavailable in Japan for the first quarter.

7. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I'd place my bets on:

64GB flash.
    Slightly redesigned antenna.
    Slightly faster CPU, likely underclocked.

You won't see the Liquid Metal enclosures, LTE compatibility and such until 2012-1023.

8. Statik macrumors member

I'd be happy if they just managed to fix the notification system. It is the one show stopper feature that prevented me from buying the iPhone.

9. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

64gb flash
    redesign or some type of fix with the antenna
    faster specs
    improvement in camera quality
    On Verizon

Honestly iPhone 5 isn't going to be a big deal in improvements, you will see a better upgrade in the iPhone 6th generation.

So if you have the iPhone 4, stick with the 2 year contract and when the 6th generation comes out, you will get a worthy upgrade.

Heres what I believe we will see in the 6th generation

-3.7" or 4" screen size
    -10MP camera
    -4G
    -Slimmer
    -Maybe an Super OMLED Retina display
    -Wireless syncing (this could as well be done with software update and be on the previous gen iPhones but it will be announced along with the new iPhone 6th gen)
    -Very fast processor
    -1080P video
    -Facetime on 4G
    -Home button now is a SIDE button so apple can utilize the front of the iPhone for more screen size
    -A physical camera button
    -Liquid metal enclosure

Anymore you can think of let me know.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

11. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

It's going to be called iPhone 4s

the "s" is going to stand for speed

12. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

maybe, then the 6th gen will be 4GS

people think it will be 4g THEN 4GS but I don't believe 4g will be ready when the 5th gen iPhone comes out.

Definitely 2012.

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

i can see a liquidmetal iPhone on verizon just to differentiate the 2 carriers

14. NintendoFan macrumors regular

I really don't think it makes any sense to differentiate the two. Why split product lines like that?

15. Tanto macrumors member

Tanto

I think that the whole liquidMetal thing is going to be quietly replacing the AT&T line when it comes out for Verizon.

It will also probably have a proper mini-USB port to comply with the recently passed bill in Europe than standardizes charging connections on cellphones.

A more durable case than the current ones which seem to break too easily.

I like the idea of having the home button on the side for more real estate, but the current configuration has the big advantage in that it never gets inadvertently pressed (in my experience). My blackberry with some of its keys on the side got pressed inadvertently enough for me to be glad my iPhone doesn't suffer from the same flaw.

To be honest, I think that the biggest upgrades will come in the hardware and the iOS. The alert system currently used has been woefully neglected and become a nuisance to me.

16. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Yes, please!! I would love the addition of Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle :)

17. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Why not just enjoy the amazing iPhone 4? No announcements of 5 yet, so why worry?

18. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

If it gets any slimmer we'll hardly be able to comfortably hold it.

19. felch macrumors member

I can't think of much that I would want changed.

1. Larger battery. I get 6hr of fairly heavy usage out of my phone, can usually kill the battery in 11hr off the charge. I want 8-10hrs. The phone is fast enough.

2. More options For the UI. As I type this now I have a 1/2 bar across my screen above the keyboard that's completely useless. I'd like to disable the auto zoom as well.

3. Custom manual input for dictionary entrys.

4. The option to choose screen orientation on the home screen as well as for the lock. I hold my phone sideways 99% of the time, something I got used to after years of sidekicks.

5. More camera options. My iPhone fills replaced my point and shoot as the camera in my pocket for those days I don't want to lug all my DSLR equipment around. At the very least I want white balance options, but more manual settings would be nice as well.

6. The option to hide folders and/or password protect folders. There are some things I don't want people to see or access but I don't want to use a pin number each time I unlock my phone to respond to a text message.

Other than the iPhone 4 is perfect. Most of those could be changed in software tho. I think when it comes time to upgrade battery life is going to be what wins me over, be it iOS or win7.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

A pair of proper speakers would be nice on the next Iphone. This single speaker on this Iphone 4 leave a lot to be desired unless you are sitting at home in a quiet bedroom or office.

21. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

That's not gonna happen

22. AnodizedFish macrumors member

If apple finally got influenced by the AMOLED wave... maybe we'll see a super AMOLED retina display or something?? I'm sure that the production of those panels will higher and the technology will be cheaper over time...

And oh, how about specs that is good enough to support iOS5? Maybe an A5(A4's successor??) chip? It seems that for every iteration of the iPhone, the iOS is fully supported by that year's iPhone... so, expect a much better iOS too...

How about 1GB RAM? Those are getting cheaper by year, and maybe by next year they'll be cheap enough for Apple to include in each iPhones?

I know that the current iPhone 4's battery life is awesome, but... maybe Apple could add more juice by next year? :p

Also, how about widgets?? Since HTC and Samsung are equipping their smartphones with those, only time will tell when Apple will put widgets on their iPhones.

It is possible, after all, the graphics of the iPhone will only get better right? And more RAM would be useful.. So, there wouldn't be any lag, and the dream of having Dashboard on iOS would come true! Maybe as a homescreen even!

Apple could also add more memory to the iPhone 5, 64GB would do some justice...

And I know how this hurts, but how about enabling flash? Maybe not by default, but at least put it as an option under the settings or something... But honestly, by how the mobile Safari is handing the flash videos, I don't think they'd need flash on the iOS.

I don't mind a trashcan of some sort where all deleted apps or movies can be stored in...

And maybe Apple could come up with more enhancements of iOS's GUI... I have no idea, but I bet people in Cupertino have tonnes of ideas, waiting to be experimented and implemented :D

Yeah... that's pretty much it...

23. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The SAMOLED screens are pentile, meaning it skips a pixel every 2nd pixel. In a normal RGB screen it's Red Green Blue in every pixel. In a Pentile screen it's Red Green for one pixel then Blue Green for the 2nd pixel. And while it's not horrible to look at, next to the proper RGB iPhone screen, it's dodgy.

Unless Samsung (the major producer of these screens) can deliver three things in the next year: lower costs, true RGB sub pixel layout and keep up with the production rate Apple requires (AFAIK, Samsung make nowhere near the 2 million+ that the iPhone 4 is currently selling being produced at.

And finally, one of the killer apps of an OLED screen is the amazing contrast ratio. Testing has shown that while the OLED screens are quite ahead in this regard (about 1500: 960) there's nothing to say that the next iPhone screen won't close that gap further.