iPhone 5 Freezing

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Ryan Burgess, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Hello, I've been having several serious problems with my iPhone 5 recently and so far the Genius Bar has been less then helpful.

My first problem is when the phone is locked. I will push the home button or lock button to wake up the screen, but nothing will happen. I can slide to unlock, and everything, but I cannot see anything on the screen! The only fix to that is to perform a hard reset.

Another major problem that started last night. My phone will start to lag IMMENSELY I have no games, or large memory intensive apps open, and all of a sudden my iPhone will not respond to my touch. It lags, hangs, gets caught up in doing simple tasks. For example, I received a text, I started to respond, and the phone just stopped. I couldn't type, press the home button, nothing. Then it would only respond to my touches VERY slowly, like a button every 2-3 seconds.

Then I received a phone call, the phone showed who was calling, but lagged so much it didn't vibrate or ring, and wouldn't let me touch answer.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced these problems before…I took it o genius about 5 days ago, and he said he couldn't do anything unless I could replicate the issue for him.

It's a Verizon iPhone 5 16gb, running iOS 6.1.3.

Any help is appreciated thanks!

2. DMH3006 macrumors regular

How about a restore? If that doesn't work get a replacement.

3. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

Get a replacement my device has never hiccuped no random reboot nothing. You probably have a defective device. Happens.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Agree you seem to have a serious hardware issue. Never had any of these issues on mine in the last 6 months. Get it changed.

5. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

You didn't say how long you've had the phone. Did you experience this after an update?

6. zosokm macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 and except for individual kappa rarely closing down have never experienced crashing . Best bet is to return it

7. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

My bad, I've had the phone since December, I started having problems a few weeks after that. It's just gotten progressively worse since then.

I tried getting a replacement but the genius said "Because you can't replicate the issue, there's nothing more I can do. " should I just go back to the Genius Bar?

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

9. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, haven't tried that…what's the difference between that and a normal restore?

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Have you tried a hard reset to clear the ram.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

12. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Listen, Ryun, take the phone back and don't leave until you get a replacement (New One). Nobody should have to go through all this crap you've had and keep on bitching till you get it. I know it's a hassle going back, but stay right on them.

13. DMH3006 macrumors regular

If you have another device with a camera,once it starts acting up start recording your device freezing and stuff like that and then go back to the store and showed them the video.

14. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm with you dude, I'll go back and update this post with the results!

15. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got back from apple store. The genius this time was much more helpful. He basically tried to restore as new, but once I told him I'd already done that he said ok I'll grab you a replacement.

The whole operation took less than 10 minutes, and for those who are wondering the iPhone 5 came with 6.1.2 on it (yay!) :D

16. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

You had a kinder genius this time and I'm glad he gave you another phone. Always fight for your rights.

17. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

for what it's worth, i've had problems identical to the OP. it is maddening. sometimes when i have an incoming call, and i press acceptover and over again nothing happens.

i was unable to get a new device. i'm not sure if it is iOS6 or the iphone 5 though. part of me thinks it is iOS 6.

18. DDaddyx2 macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

I had the same issue where it won't wake up, and I have to do a hard reset to get it going again. Happens every 3 weeks maybe so not bad enough for me to make a fuss.

19. Bahroo macrumors 68000

have you tried a hard reset? hold lock button and home button till phone shuts off.... if not try a restore?

did you spill any liquids on your iphone 5 or any humidity got to the phone? can be multiple reasons... if nothings works above just go get a free replacement at Apple

never has happened on my Verizon iPhone 5

20. lilface macrumors member

I got my iphone 5 in early october right after launch, also on Verizon, and within the past few weeks I have also been experiences these problems. The phone will freeze while scrolling between screens, randomly closes out of apps and lags immesnsly while answering texts or while trying to go into different apps.

I wasn't sure what to do to fix this, but now I'm thinking I should go to the apple store and see if they can help me or get me a new one because this is rediculous. The phone is barely 6 months old and its acting like its a million! :(

21. Tom359 macrumors regular

Having the exact same issue

Got iPhone 5 in November. For the last 2 months or so, it completely shuts down about once every two weeks. Been trying to see if there is any commonality when it happens, here is a typical scenario:
    -press either home or wake button
    -unlock screen briefly appears, then goes black
    -phone becomes completely unresponsive, appears to be shut off
    -only way to revive is to do hard reset.
    -phone works normally for about 2 more weeks

Been contemplating a genius appointment, but like a previous poster mentioned, since I can't reproduce it on command, didn't think they would do anything.

22. macalec macrumors 6502

Good. If they did not do it for you that time, I would have demanded a supervisor.

23. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I'm glad that you got your iPhone replaced. If you have problems with your newly replaced iPhone perhaps you should call AppleCare instead of going into your local store. You may have better results with that.

24. syd430 Guest

If the Genius can't replicate it, then they can't replicate it. They are just following company policy. I'm glad the OP got a replacement in the end but bagging the Genius but he can't find a fault is odd. If the problems were as bad as the OP mentioned, he should have been able to replicate it even it means having to play with the phone for 20 minutes.

25. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Don't know if you have been in similar situation but for me it happened long time ago. Not talking generally about iphones but about gadgets. I had problems with my laptop and smartphone, went to service center and baaam no issues, they couldnt replicate issue, everything worked fine. Later came back to home and same issue appeared again... ;D