iPhone 5 gonna destroy Android Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Sep 9, 2011.

1. aohus, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

TL;DR: We aren't the demographic. Your friends, parents, work buddies, and relatives are.

We keep forgetting that the most of the readers on this forum are not the target demographic for iPhone users. Sure, we may be the early adopters, guiding our clueless friends, relatives, and even strangers about the latest in the mobile industry, but sometimes we need to reorient ourselves and see the bigger picture.

I can't tell you how many countless current Android users are just waiting to drop their Android phones for the next iPhone iteration coming this October. Anytime someone asks me what phone to get, I can't help myself but say, 'just get the iPhone.' Its so much easier than saying, 'get so and so Android phone, but wait, make sure you download a, b, and c, so that you get a bit better battery life, and have a cleaner user experience.

Face it, out of the box, no other phone surpasses the iPhone in terms of ease of use. This is why J.D Power rated Apple #1 in customer satisfaction.

This all sounds like a fluff piece, but be prepared for a huge influx of new iPhone users come October. I would say more than half of current Android users that I have personally talked to are dissatisfied with their current Android/BB phone, especially WOMEN.

Now that Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and possibly T-Mobile getting the iPhone as well the number of iPhone users will skyrocket. Now look at China, with news that China Mobile and China Telecom getting the iPhone as well. This would add over 600 million potential new customers for Apple. Yeah, over 600 million subscribers, double the population of the entire United States of America. Thats Mind = Blown imo.

2. rockinred macrumors member

Whatever!

iPhone is by far the best, but Android has steadily been closing the gap, while Apple is waiting a few years and starting to play catch up. Hopefully Apple jumps ahead on this new launch and does some cool things and not just a better camera and faster processor. The whole thing on Apple depending on the Apps can come back to bite them. It is like Windows and Mac. Sure Windows offers much more compatibility on software, but that doesn't make it a better system than a Mac. Well the same can apply to the Apps... there are way better Apps created for iPhone, but if Apple doesn't stay awake the Android system can become better.

My iPhone beats the crap out of wife's droid, but the gap is closing and I can see it. Surely Apple can.

3. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

4. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Doubtful and this is coming from an Apple fanboy. Except i got logic.

How can you "destroy" something that's given away for free (Android OS)?

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

iOS already destroyed Android OS, with iOS 5 anyway.

But this will definitely be a nice punch at Android's marketshare.

6. hayesk macrumors 65816

Who cares who beats who? I'd rather they both have market share. Companies should always be acutely aware that the customer has a choice. Including Apple.

7. tann macrumors 68000

I think that android will always have more marketshare, because there are people who can't afford iPhones (even the cheaper 3GS etc). I think Apple will always have the best hardware/software though. Everything is just so slick and smooth on their phones. Even on high powered android phones, while they do everything very fast there is slight lag at times when loading things or swiping around. At least this has been the case with my experiences with phones like the Galaxy SII.

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I honestly disagree with this a lot. The gap is far from getting closed. In fact, the "huge" market share of Android that they keep preaching is probably going to shrink.

From the development perspective, it's always been a nightmare. One device has a trackball, one doesn't. One has a front facing camera, one doesn't. One has a hugely different screen resolution than all the others.

From the user perspective, it's another nightmare.

I did a little work on my friend's LG Droid-of-the-Month today because she was complaining it kept saying she was out of memory. Now this is a stock phone from Verizon, and she couldn't receive any text messages or phone calls because it was THAT out of memory. She even started deleting texts until she had about about 12 texts left on the whole phone and STILL couldn't receive new ones.

The whole methodology of Apple would prevent this from ever happening (I hope). At the very least, I wouldn't have two very distinct memory spaces (internal memory/SD card) to try to manage, especially for the technically disinclined.

The problem was that she had installed about a half a dozen memory hogging apps. Facebook, G+ and a few others. Between these apps and their relevant data, they completely filled up the phone's internal memory. Now I know there is an option to move apps to the SD card, but damned if most apps won't let you actually do that.

So, the question becomes, either keep half a dozen apps installed, and not be able to use your phone to do even the most basic "communication task", or uninstall the apps and might as well have bought a RAZR from 2004.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

WOW OP! Yu duh Appil mahn! Woohoo! Yu tell um!

[​IMG]

11. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

as long as android has so many models to choose from they will be competitive. OP what did you say in your post that anyone reading here doesn't already know? of course the new iphone will bring in new users EVERY iteration does. What did this post prove?

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is my sentiment exactly. Android hits at those low end markets that the iPhone is unable to penetrate (including having free phones). This alone is appealing to many people. However since I am fortunate enough to have enough extra cash where I can choose which device I want, I am going to choose the iPhone because the iPhone is the phone that comes out with the least issues and it works for my personal needs.

13. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Alcohol does that......

14. phaggard macrumors regular

I have had every Iphone made and can say that the Iphone is the most solid operating phone there has ever been and is very easy to use but I got very bored with my Iphone 4. It's hard to admit when you are a gadget nut that the phone works so well that it is boring. I now have the Samsung Infuse with Android and again as a gadget nut I love it because I can customize it any way I want. I know you can Jailbrake the Iphone but that route isn't for me.

But I have to admit that I am having issues with the Infuse locking up occasionally and am really thinking about going to the Iphone 5 when it comes out. The only reason is the gadget nut in me that is just wanting the newest gadget.

I believe the Iphone is the winner for the average user that just wants the simple high tech phone and the Android is great for the Apple haters (not me) and people like me that love to change how my phone looks once in a whille and I really wish the iphone would come out with at least a 4.3 inch screen.

15. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I don't know about you all, but the quadcore 4.5inch Androids look promising to a heavy, HEAVY user such as myself. The only thing holding me back is of course my contract with my iP4 which has another year to go, and the fact that battery life is probably going to be pretty bad.

16. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I bet you the "quad-core" android's battery will be about less than 2 hours and STILL LAGGY! :D

17. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Meh. The Thunderbolt rocks a 1Ghz snapdragon 1-core and the animations and loading times are above average. I'd figure if the OS and applications were designed to take advantage of all four cores and not repeat the desktop era it would be great.

18. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

LOL "destroy Android"

Do you know why there is countless threads comparing iphone to Android because there comparable. If this was no contest there wouldn't be much discussion about which is better. The reality is with all factors in consideration there equal.

One does have to take into account the actual cost of the device.

Point being I got tired of waiting for the iphone 5 and felt full price for an over a year old iphone 4 was to high.

So I picked up and $100 off contract LG optimus and you know what low and behold I'm quite happy with it especially the price. The fact I pay $50 a month for unlimited everything including hotspot is an added plus. The device does everything I need and didn't feel like I bought something more then I needed.

I think Apple fan boys thinks everyone needs the "greatest". No we all don't need the absolute best phone.

I know plenty of people who have shiny iphones and can barely pay there phone bill. As this is how they conduct there lives they must have the absolute best of everything clothes,shoes, cars, etc.

So I think as long as there is price conscious people in the world Android will not be destroyed.

19. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Minor change recommended.

Who cares who beats who? I'd rather they both have market share. Companies should always be acutely aware that the customer has a choice. Especially Apple.

Other than that, fully agree..

All these idiots who wish for one-company-only-world have no clue about the real life and the consequence of monopolies..

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I've had 4 Android phones, and 3 iPhones... And I can attest to the fact that Android isn't as solid as people would like you to believe. I've had big problems with all of them, except for the Infuse. The Infuse only had small problems (some force closes, random reboots) Some could call those big, but after the crap I've been through, it's not much.

Anyways, the only Android device I'd recommend an iPhone user to switch to, would be a Nexus device. The OS hasn't been screwed with, and you get the latest software. If you still wanted to use custom ROMs, you could, but it wouldn't be necessary if you just wanted the newest Android version. Custom ROMs is a whole argument altogether though... It's trial and error. If your Phone's vital to you, or if you don't have a lot of time to test and learn things, it's not the smartest idea to use non-stock ROMs.

I think I'm getting sidetracked here... I forgot the point I was trying to make. *looks back at the post*

Though I've had some bad experiences, mostly related to hardware and skins... The Android experience is still something that gives iOS a run for it's money. If right now I had a stable Nexus S, and got to choose between that and an iPhone 4 (I use the 4 as an example because we have no real clue what the 5 will be like) running iOS 5, and I had to choose between the two, I'd call it a draw. And a lot of power users wouldn't even consider the iPhone. Going through (unmodified) Android with animations off is amazingly fast. It makes doing anything on my iPhone feel slow. That said, it's more of a power user thing. Some people like the prettiness of iOS.

The iPhone 5 will not destroy Android. iOS5 was catchup. And Ice Cream Sandwich could (possibly...) be an insanely good update, which would just make Android become stronger. A lot stronger.

There are some great aspects of Android nowadays. But it's hard to see it over the bloatware, skins, and crap 99% of Android phones have. I'd recommend that anyone thinking of switching to Android should wait for the Prime, and don't consider any other Android phone

I really feel like my post was poorly constructed... But I'm on my phone and I'm in a hurry. Hopefully you can understand some of my points though

21. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I've actually been looking into HTC recently. I like the back designs they have for the EVO 3D. Nice rounded edges and the back rounds out with a nice texture.

22. blunti macrumors 6502a

you're forgetting icecream sandwich and the prime ( also the sgs 2 coming to the US )...

23. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

i'm trying to figure out if anyone actually read the post, or just read the thread title and reacting to that.

24. something3153 macrumors 6502

On the other hand, my girlfriend (a WOMAN), loves her MacBook Pro... and her Android phone. She's quite happy with it and plans on getting another. Further, most of my swim team has Androids, and they're mostly not overly-technical, and they all certainly make enough money to afford an iPhone if they wanted. Given the rest of your post, I seriously doubt your observations are objective and honest. We will see.