iPhone 5 has stiff competition before it's released.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanteMann, Sep 26, 2011.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

When the iPhone 5 comes out, it will more than likely have specs that are commonplace in the mobile industry. Of course on these forums the word "specs" is an evil word. Apple no doubt is counting on it's loyal followers and it's brand when they release this phone. Performance wise it won't out perform any of the high end android superphones. How do I know this? Well I'm just following the logic. Even it's retina display will no longer be a selling point now that SuperAmoled HD (4.65inch @ 1280x720, just released in Korea) will be out. You can count on the Nexus Prime in October and GS3 having this screen. So if the GS2 HD LTE is sporting such impressive specs, I can't imagine what the iPhone 5 would have to face with the GS3 in Feb. Writing's on the wall. No more 1+ yr updates for Apple.

Attached Files:

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

People don't buy the iPhone because of the specs (edit: just read you said that, sorry).

However, speaking of specs the A5 will still be holding it's place among the top mobile processors (especially gfx wise) and it's now rumored to have 1GB RAM which will speed things up even more (especially for multitasking and the rumored assistant integration).

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it's not all about having higher numbers in hardware...
    software resources and many other things play on how well an electronic item performs...
    Let the competition get better; makes apple work hard for our desire of their machines.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

It's never been about specs. In fact, there have always been competitors who have better specs at the time of every iPhone model, save the 'Retina display' on the iPhone 4. It's always been about build quality and iOS--won't be any difference this year.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

From what you're saying, every best-spec'd smartphone would be #1. But obviously that isn't true.

The fact of the matter is, it's not about specs only, it's mainly about the experience the phone delivers. The iPhone delivers the best smartphone experience to their customers, hence it's the best consumer smartphone in the market, and has been for years.

The only way Samsung can beat Apple, is if they beat Apple in providing excellent experience, which is very tough.

6. lilo777 macrumors 603

It's not the same as before. Before iPhone was "on par" or better (the display). Now, it looks like it may never be on par with the best Android phones. This is not entirely surprising considering that iPhone is targeted towards a wide market and as such can not have the best hardware (would be too expensive for wide adoption).

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I noticed that too by the huge line-ups to get the latest competitor's phones ... the Android scalpers were the worst :cool:

8. Greatbape macrumors newbie

You serious? You do understand that android phone are usually the same price if not cheaper than iPhone. The brand new Epic 4g Touch is 99-150 dollars in most places.

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

And this is another hurdle Apple needs to cover. This is why people are thinking a low end model will be released as well. Then they can make their normal model really good and not have to worry about the somewhat lower end market not being able to afford an iPhone.

10. colormyworld macrumors member

I had the 3GS...loved it, totally changed my life...then it was stolen on Memorial Day last year. A few days of depression, then decided to by an iPhone 4 on launch day. Loved it even more. Fast forward to May of this year, THAT one was stolen. And to kick a person while they are down, I received numerous emails and even phone calls from the person who HAD my phone, saying they got my number by going into facebook, and they weren't going to return it because they paid for it on the street in Chinatown, but needed my password to "help me out by sending my info"...right, because I'm a total idiot. o_O This time I decided to go Atrix bc of the better specs (and felt like the iphone was a bullseye). It's faster, more customizable, has a dual core processor, fingerprint scanner for unlocking the phone, and is technically better in almost every way except the camera (which bites, though video is great). However, I had to convince myself that i really loved the phone. Honestly I miss my iPhone. The smartphone experience, as mentioned, is just a lot more rewarding for some reason. Go figure. After spending the flat out $600 on the Atrix, I want an iPhone again...

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Even with specs at or even below those of competitors, iPhone is still the best at making those specs work together seamlessly. I've seen some of the best android devices that lag, stutter, and crash all the time. iPhone is just smooth and stable 95% of the time. I'll take that over shoving the best specs on a phone...just to have the best specs, any day of the week.

12. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually was looking at the fact that Samsung is the one true OEM that makes it's own products. It has what it takes to give people the best of the best, and let's it's products do the talking rather some talking head that tells me their products just work. I like how they go balls to the wall pushing technology so that when I buy their next device 2 yrs down the road, that device will already have been upgraded 2-3 times already. Giving me even more for my upgrade. Not some joke of a small spec update. No thanks.
    Oh yeah, and then there was that small little legal thing that has one fruity company desperate to stop the sales of it's products. It just screams of one company fearing the extremely fast growth of another companies mobile devices. Gotta be a reason for such desperate measures.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

At first it was about iOS being so limited compared to Android. Then as iOS matured with updates, manufactures of Android phones basically pushed the hardware to a level most of us didn't think we would see so soon. Then the iP4 basically crushed anything spec wise for a good month or two until even more higher spec Android phones release. Now iOS5 and IP5 is about to release with even more greatness, then the cycle will continue. Competition is amazing. Without it the iPhone would lack so much and their probably wouldn't be a reason for Google to have created Android in the first place.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If they don't attempt to protect their IP they can lose it. It's really that easy.

Android was in the works before the iPhone was announced. The prototype hardware looked like a BB or Treo though.

15. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It seems pointless to compare phones that are not out to other phones that are not out. Shall we decide if Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is better than Assassin's Creed: Revelations?

16. tbayrgs, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Sorry but this is simply not true. The iPhone has always lagged behind many other smartohone regarding its capabilities (the first iPhone was only 2G with only a 2 MP camera, no front facing camera until iPhone 4, no MMS until halfway through 3GS cycle, no cut and paste until 3GS, no front facing camera until iPhone 4, never has had a memory expansion slot or removable battery--I could probably keep going if I thought more about it). Yet it is the most popular, bestselling smartphone by a huge margin because of the user experience, Apple's customer service, and the great build quality of the phones. I'd guess most people couldn't tell you their phone's processor speed, camera MP or screen resolution but just like how their phone 'works'. Only tech heads like us that patrol tech forums care about specs.

17. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

Galaxy S2 LTE and Galaxy S2 HD just got released and both have LTE. The HD is 4.67 inches with 1280x720 res, giving around 316dpi. It's safe to assume the Nexus Prime and GS3 (the flagship phones for Samsung) will be sporting these specs at the least. So you can make a reasonable comparison. The same way you can guarantee the iPhone 5 will be an improvement over the iPhone 4.

18. aleni macrumors 68020

screw the specs, I'm not going to leave apple's ecosystem that i invested a lot. the iMac, Macbook Air, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touches.

how do i buy music, tv shows on the fly with samsung's phones?

apple is an ecosystem that no other companies can match for the time being, that's what keeps me on apple's side, not the specs.

19. disarticulate macrumors regular

This is spot on. I don't care if Samsung or whoever puts a core i7 and 8GB of RAM in their phone. Until theyre able to make the hardware provide a superior user experience I will stick with iPhone. Same reason why I'd prefer a C2D MBP to a Ci7 Vaio. Same reason why I'd prefer a Benz E350 to a Charger SRT8.

20. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

21. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

It's all about the OS and not the specs! Look at how Apple ads are compare to Android phones. Apple just show you how simple is to use the iOS and it just works. On the other hand android phones are just all about how powerful this phone can be........

22. utl768 macrumors 6502

droid bionic makes the iphone look like a flip phone

not sure on the rest of the competition

23. aluren macrumors 65816

Android really needs to improve in order to fully compete with iOS. If Google gets that right, then I think things will start to change. Right now, the Android phones can be faster than a speeding bullet, but if the user experience isn't there, then it'll still be a ways out before they catch up to the iPhone.

24. gta50419 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure if serious.jpg

25. Robby S macrumors member

Not interested. This constant battle of Android phone manufacturers trying to 1up both each other and themselves is the very thing that puts me off. 4.65" 720p screen, so what? I don't watch movies on my mobile or use media in any capacity that pushes the current iPhone screen let alone something larger with a higher resolution.

As has been said many times in this thread already, it's not about the hardware specs with Apple. Take buying a luxury car to be chauffeured around in - performance will simply be described as "more than adequate", it's just a given. What matters more to the client is the build quality, ride quality, and the toys inside. Same with the iPhone. I bought into the brand because the phones are well built, and have a smooth, functional OS that is backed up with a host of great apps.