iPhone 5 help!!! [wastes a lot of data?]

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Welder, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Welder macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 5 and I have a serious problem. My iphone wastes a lot of data. I keep my data turned off so I won't have overages. Most of the time I just turn on my data and get on Instagram for like 2 minutes and then turn off my data. I then check my data by typing *3282# and my data usage is up by about 20mg. I have have everything that uses data off even iMessage. Is there a way to fix it? I'm on AT&T thanks!

2. CanadianGeek macrumors member

20MB? That sounds about right for instagram. What is your cap?

3. Welder thread starter macrumors newbie

My cap is 3gb but isn't Instagram using a lot of data in so little time? Or does Instagram use that much data?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You're loading photos..that can easily burn through data.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

With 3 GB it really doesn't sound like you would need to go as far as actually shutting data off and turning it on occasionally.

6. Welder thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I am on wifi and have lte on it still says I waste a lot of data. I can check about every 8 minutes and I've wasted about 20mg and on wifi! Thanks everyone for your answer.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

You are saying your mobile data is somehow getting used up while you are on WiFi?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

20 milligrams? Lol:D
    If you meant 20MB That's nothing for an iphone.
    And its not the iphone that wastes the data, its the user;)

9. Welder thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol I meant MB, but even on wifi it wastes all that data.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, go with the 5GB cap then.

To be honest about this, the whole "Turn off and then on" strategy always backfires. Why? When you turn off data all data services are suspended. Now bear in mind, several applications have self updating features.

When you turn on data, all those apps that have the auto-update feature will instantly start chugging down data as they receive updates. In other words, you will get two things: 1. Slower data transfer as soon as data is back on 2. Huge data spikes due to all apps updating.

Want my advice? Keep your phone on having its data flow freely. Do not put data "off". It just makes it worse.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its connected to wifi it shouldn't use any carrier data.
    But the data results you get from AT&T are not instant. A days data usage can take many hours to be processed, calculated and then reported back by AT&T's system.
    Its not like a bank account that adds it up on the spot. It takes a long time for all the usage from various cell towers to be tallied up.

12. Welder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man I'm just going to keep it on. Thanks for the help really did help

----------

Thanks man I would check data by calling *3282# thanks for the help.

13. It Is James macrumors member

I've had this happen before and it's actually caused me to go over my data limit a few times.

For me, it was a certain app (Bump) that wasn't correctly shutting off after it's been closed. Not only did it continue to use data, it also drained my battery.

Since then, I've kept a closer look at what app processes continue running with SBSettings and kill the ones I'm not using.

14. aristobrat macrumors G5

Doesn't help you immediately, but fwiw iOS 7 tracks cellular data usage per app.

Attached Files:

15. Welder thread starter macrumors newbie

The only apps I keep open are- messages, phone, and settings but it still does it

----------

That looks like a real good feature. I'm just going to wait for ios7 to release might fix my problem.