Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethan61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I was just browsing the Apple website the other day and I found something rather intriguing on the ‘Try A Mac’ page. There’s an image of an Apple Genius and two cheerful customers in an Apple store, but just behind them there’s a set of advertisements, including an iOS device which looks like no other I have ever seen, in fact it looks strangely similar to the rumoured design for the next iPhone 5! It clearly has a much larger, edge-to-edge screen, a thinner bezel, and an iPod Touch like body! Here’s a link to the page – http://www.apple.com/why-mac/try-a-mac/ (Something else to note, the image file is called next_hero)

Last edited:

Xystence

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
That is a very strange looking device back there lol. Looks like it sports a lot of the rumored stuff like a larger screen, and it also seems to have the different volume rocker as well. Interesting image.

Xystence

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
This is clearly an older image. It does not sport any of the new apple store 2.0 stuff put through earlier this year and the advertised apps on the other wall are not new lol.

rcjh22

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
That is pretty cool. You never know I guess. It would be incredible if they could make the next iPhone that thin!

ethan61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
The name of the file is really next_hero20091221.jpg

2009-12-21
12-21-2009

Well see me and my friend thought the same, but we've been thinking about it properly, and it just doesn't seem to add up, the advertisements behind them look like no other that's ever been displayed in an Apple store, and why is there a MacBook Pro right next to an iPhone?

bosoxnm3

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

That's definitely not an iPhone 4 as it is curved. I think it's a 3Gs.

ethan61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

That's definitely not an iPhone 4 as it is curved. I think it's a 3Gs.

A 3GS doesn't have that small a bezel? Or that thin a body? Or that large a screen?

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Well see me and my friend thought the same, but we've been thinking about it properly, and it just doesn't seem to add up, the advertisements behind them look like no other that's ever been displayed in an Apple store, and why is there a MacBook Pro right next to an iPhone?

Why wouldn't there be? More importantly, why wouldn't that iPhone be an iPhone 4?

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
A 3GS doesn't have that small a bezel? Or that thin a body? Or that large a screen?

Actually you might have a point. Although I think it's more likely to be the iPhone 754 for the year 3480.

It's a 3G/GS. The bezel blends into the background as it's chrome and the background is white.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
If I was in marketing trying to be sneaky in putting hints of an iPhone 5 image, I would backdate the image file name to throw people off... or take an old image with old products in the foreground, and photo shop a blury image of a new product in the background.... lol... but who knows.:p

ethan61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
If I was in marketing trying to be sneaky in putting hints of an iPhone 5 image, I would backdate the image file name to throw people off... or take an old image with old products in the foreground, and photo shop a blury image of a new product in the background.... lol... but who knows.:p

thankyou! exactly what my friend said!

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
are you serious? the body on the 3GS is a hell of a lot bigger and chunkier, and the screen is a lot larger

It's an out-of-focus wall display from 2009.

But you believe what you want to believe lol. If it makes your day go a little quicker thinking it's the new iPhone 62, then who am I to disappoint you.

It's not though.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's a washed out picture of the 3Gs. Look just to the left of the blue shirted guy's elbow. You'll see a blue 4/5 G iPod Nano. Apple doesn't sell those anymore and hasn't since September of 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.