iPhone 5 is full. Can't even take a picture

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bushwood, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Bushwood macrumors member

I am so *$&^ing sick of Apple and their useless notifications, e.g. "Manage Storage" Really Apple? Just "manage" them. Okay, ya got me... how?

I have deleted ever app I don't need (or really want).
    I deleted a ton of pics.
    Here's my storage situation. Clearly there's a lot of (uselessly hi-res) pics on the phone. Is there a way to off load them into iPhoto and NOT have them sync back every time?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for ANY suggestions

2. themyst macrumors 6502

After you delete pics, there is a deleted folder that you must also purge (so you have to do it twice). Then you'll get back some of your storage.

3. Bushwood thread starter macrumors member

The trash in iPhoto is empty. I have hundreds or even thousands of pictures. I don't need them all on my phone. Does iPhoto not provide that option - to not sync them back to the phone?

4. wepiii macrumors 6502a

5. Bushwood thread starter macrumors member

Help me out... where in iTunes? I've searched... and coming sooooo close to throwing the phone and computer against the wall. Just so damn tired of the time sponge these devices have become.

Thanks

6. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Photos > sync off

Seriously who do you think you are to curse like that just because you have no idea how photo syncing works? That's not Apple's fault. They made it pretty easy...

7. fotomarc, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

iPhone 5 is full. Can't even take a picture

Use iCloud to send your photos to your computer via Wifi. Only sync photos you really want on your phone with iTunes. Select the photo tab, in iTunes when you plug it in. Make a folder on iPhoto for favourites. Then remove all the photos from your phone.

Use iTunes Match for all your music. iTunes Match will cost a few dollars, but you can use if on all your devices and won't need a bigger hardrive on your iPhone. Only problem is you need A Wifi or cellular network to play.

Delete your backup on iCloud then backup your new streamlined phone! Storage problem gone!

You didn't say how many GBs your iPhone is. You also don't seem to understand how iTunes syncing works. Spend some time on iTunes with your iPhone plugged in! It's not that complicated!

8. Bushwood thread starter macrumors member

But it's a symmetrical sync correct? I want a one-way sync.

Sorry about the PG-13 language. Really. I'm just stunned that Apple has created this issue. Very hi-res camera - knowing full well that 99% of photos will NEVER be printed. So, the storage need is skyrocketing, and there is no mechanism to select a lower res mode for the vast majority of all iPhone pictures, e.g. Facebook, instagram, emailing/texting pics...

I don't want to not sync from the iPhone. I want to sync and leave them on the computer - and not have them sync back. I am carrying around over 4,000 picture on my phone.

As I understand it, if I turn off Sync, then the pics stay on the phone... until I sync manually.

----------

Okay ^that^ looks like what I've been missing. Thank you. I'm going to do that - spend time getting a better (actual) understanding how the sync works. Clearly, I've been doing it wrong... very wrong.

Thanks guys. And again, sorry for the rant/vent, etc. deep breaths...

9. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

The other think to check is you don't have too many old backups on iCloud. When I got my new phone I had two and had a message saying my iCloud storage was full!

A little bit different to the storage on your iPhone itself. See above for answers to that!

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Back to a flip phone?

11. maliu macrumors 6502a

Load them into iPhoto, then pick delete from phone. Uncheck sync photos in iTunes and you're done.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You're complaining that there is a very high res camera on your phone and citing it's uselessness since most photos won;t be printed?

is this real life?

14. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

seriously? You are blaming apple because you filled up your own phone?

15. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Nah, iTunes syncing is one way (from iPhoto Library to iPhone). ;)

If you want your photos deleted from the phone, just do what maliu said.:p

16. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

One option is to just stop using iPhoto and don't sync your photos to your iPhone in iTunes. Just use image capture on your Mac (preinstalled software) to copy your photos to your computer and then delete those you don't need on your phone. That's how I've been managing my photos for a while and it works really well.

17. Bushwood thread starter macrumors member

My car has a throttle.
    My stereo has a volume knob
    My faucet has a valve.
    In real life.

So, would it be out of this world, if the iPhone's very high res camera could be dialed up and down based on the need? I mean, in real life.

18. stasha macrumors 6502

Seriously,do people keep all their photo in their phone eternally untill the end of time?

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yes. Apparently it would. Because you are literally the first I've ever seen complaining about it. You yourself said you have thousands of oictures you don't need. This has nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with the fact that you don't know how to not re sync all of your pictures each time (also admitted by you).

20. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

So it's Apple's fault that you were a big dummy who only bought 16GB?

21. Tomperser macrumors newbie

Tomperser

It's always the device :D How many Androide phones have you crased meamwhile?

22. dba415 macrumors 6502

It's apples fault that they even sell a 16 GB and don't allow microSD expansion

23. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Install Google plus, you get 15GB for free for pic uploads. Upload all your pics, turn off icloud sync. Enjoy.

24. ABC5S, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

OP, this is your fault, not Apples. Learn how to do things by reading the darn manual for a change, and not act like a *%#^**$. You get no sympathy from us. :p

25. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Upgrade to the 6, 128g. Problem solved, that's what I did.