Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Headphone Jack

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
WOW you need to go back to school man. Gravity accelerates all objects at the same rate. The force of gravity acting on an object near Earth's surface is proportional to the mass of the object, but it is the acceleration that is the constant even though the force varies.

Gravitational attraction
F = G m₁m₂/r²
G = 6.67e-11 m³/kgs²
m₁ and m₂ are the masses of the two objects in kg
r is the distance in meters between their centers (center of mass)

F=ma

combine the two

ma = G m₁m₂/r²
mass cancels
a = Gm₂/r² where m₂ is the mass of the earth.

Nope, he's got a valid point. A lighter object will generate less impact force as per E = m g h.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
WOW you need to go back to school man. Gravity accelerates all objects at the same rate. The force of gravity acting on an object near Earth's surface is proportional to the mass of the object, but it is the acceleration that is the constant even though the force varies.

Gravitational attraction
F = G m₁m₂/r²
G = 6.67e-11 m³/kgs²
m₁ and m₂ are the masses of the two objects in kg
r is the distance in meters between their centers (center of mass)

F=ma

combine the two

ma = G m₁m₂/r²
mass cancels
a = Gm₂/r² where m₂ is the mass of the earth.

No. Its acceleration will be the same, but the impulse force will be different.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Am I the only one who prefers the weight of the iPhone 4/4S?

I've held off on ordering the iPhone 5 for a bit, but have now had a chance to play with one at the Apple Store.

The iPhone 4 just feels so much more substantial and solid to me...and I like that. That bit of heft is actually comforting and reinforces the quality of the phone to me every time I pick it up.

The new phone just feels way too light. Kind of gives it a cheap feel. But I guess it'll probably grow on me.

Any thoughts from those upgrading from the 4/4S?

I got my hands on a 5 for the first time yesterday, and was a bit surprised at how light it was - knowing that it was lighter, I was still surprised. It almost felt like a toy to me, but I don't think I'd have nay trouble getting used to it.

KeanBurke

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
I've been using the iphone 5 for over a week now and honestly it feels heavy now. I hope the next phone is even lighter

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've been using the iphone 5 for over a week now and honestly it feels heavy now. I hope the next phone is even lighter

This, it was unnervingly light.
But now that I'm used to it, it could stand to lose a few more oz. But I'd trade battery life for oz any day.

Headphone Jack

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Where you guys draw the line by the way? I'd say that an iPhone that's about 7 mm thick and weighs roughly 100 g is about as low as it can get before the device starts to feel cheap and uncomfortable.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

I've held off on ordering the iPhone 5 for a bit, but have now had a chance to play with one at the Apple Store.

The iPhone 4 just feels so much more substantial and solid to me...and I like that. That bit of heft is actually comforting and reinforces the quality of the phone to me every time I pick it up.

The new phone just feels way too light. Kind of gives it a cheap feel. But I guess it'll probably grow on me.

Apple is running out of things it can do to a new phone so they made it longer and lighter but unfortunately it also weakened the phone and we will see more bent iPhone 5 units in the future. They sacrificed strength for weight.

----------

Really?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Its funny how something can be lighter but more prone to devastating damage from drops.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
River, cry one for me. :p <- that means I am kidding.

If you think that is too light pick up an SGS3! That thing feels like paper.

Uhmm what are you talking about the GS3 is about 20-30 grams heavier then the iPhone 5...

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
No. Its acceleration will be the same, but the impulse force will be different.

Bingo. Assuming equivalent air resistance, the speed/acceleration upon impact is exactly the same but as stated, the force that each hits the ground with will be different as that figure is mass-dependent.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

Yes it is a light phone. That's what everybody wanted. People complained about the 4S being too thick to & they wanted a thinner/lighter phone so there you go! They got what they asked for. You can add some weight back to it by putting it in an OtterBox case.

NewGuyHere

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2012
It's a simple equation F=ma

let's say the mass of the iPhone 5 is 3.95 grams; the equation would be:

F= 3.95g (mass) * 9.8 m/s

F=force (n)
m=mass (g)
a=acceleration (m/s)

Took physics last year.

Anyway for people saying its lighter weight makes it cheap here's an analogy

This is higher quality?

14491451-this-old-style-tv-set-is-large-and-very-heavy-angled-view.jpg

compared to this?

LG-31-inch-prototype-OLED-Ultra-Thin.jpg

The materials used are better + more expensive in the iPhone 5, don't judge it's quality by it's weight. It's like comparing an ounce of gold to 2 ounces of fool's gold. Rather have real gold.

iScreamSanWitch

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
Love the Physics tangent haha...

..but I have to agree with the fact that the impact 'force' depends on the mass of the object, even without the use of fundamental Physics formulas this is common sense.. not only that, but the terminal velocity will be greater if the object weighs more.. imagine dropping a feather from a skyscraper.. it's impact force on the bottom will be exactly the same as if you dropped it from 2 metres height -> low terminal velocity..

..not that anyone would drop their i5 from a skyscraper.. :D

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
my girlfriend has a 4s and i have a 5. everytime she asks me to look something up on her phone i feel awkward about how small, thick and heavy it is. you'll get used to the size and weight of the 5 in no time and you'll look back on the 4 wondering how you lived with it for so long.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Now people are just making up **** to complain about. Too thin, too light... I thought we ASKED for a slimmer phone. People complained last year the 4S didn't have a new form factor. Now that the 5 does, people still say it's the exact same just because Apple didnt make it triangular or whatever. Are you all blind?

Seriously if it's too light, tie a brick to it. I'm done.

MJD Dawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster

F=force (n)
m=mass (g)
a=acceleration (m/s)

Took physics last year.

The materials used are better + more expensive in the iPhone 5, don't judge it's quality by it's weight. It's like comparing an ounce of gold to 2 ounces of fool's gold. Rather have real gold.

Oh man...it's high school over again!! It's been a while since I took physics course but doesn't acceleration equal 9.8 m/s/s?

Now people are just making up **** to complain about. Too thin, too light... I thought we ASKED for a slimmer phone. People complained last year the 4S didn't have a new form factor. Now that the 5 does, people still say it's the exact same just because Apple didnt make it triangular or whatever. Are you all blind?

Seriously if it's too light, tie a brick to it. I'm done.

Who's complaining? Did you look at the date of my original post? The phone had just been released and I posted after I'd had just a few minutes with the phone in an Apple store.

I don't have the phone yet but I've played with it enough in store and I'm OK with the weight now. Still think that Jony could have used some that extra thickness for a bigger more powerful battery. Apple's fascination with thinness is getting silly.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
In a few years, phones will be even lighter.

I can carry my iPhone 5 much more easily in my front pocket now. Love it, but can't wait until its less than 100 grams!

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Where you guys draw the line by the way? I'd say that an iPhone that's about 7 mm thick and weighs roughly 100 g is about as low as it can get before the device starts to feel cheap and uncomfortable.

7mm and 100g is the tipping point for cheap? Ok there buddy. Thanks for your scientific analysis.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

F=force (n)
m=mass (g)
a=acceleration (m/s)

Took physics last year.

This is higher quality?

compared to this?

Please, for the love of all that is Holy (and well built :p), use

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

F=force (n)
m=mass (g)
a=acceleration (m/s)

Took physics last year.

This is higher quality?

compared to this?

You got everything right except one thing, LG has always sucked. I think that tv is an LG back when LG was called Lucky Goldstar. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.