iPhone 5 Jailbreak & iCloud

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by LouieSamman, Oct 20, 2012.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I am thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone 5 but would I still be able to do iCloud backups of my iPhone 5 to the cloud when I am jailbroken?

What would happen when I get a fresh iPhone and sign in to my latest iCloud back up that was backed up with having the jailbroken apps such as cydia?

Would Cydia be backed up also and it's settings?

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

First and foremost, there is no jailbreak available for the iPhone 5 yet.

Secondly, Jailbreaking modifies the actual OS the phone runs, which is not included in backups. So to answer your question, yes, you can still do iCloud backups with no problem.

Restoring from a backup of a jailbroken phone to a new device will cause no issues. Some jailbreak data will transfer over but it's harmless and is nothing to worry about.

Cydia is not backed up because it's part of the OS. However, some tweaks and app data from apps installed through Cydia ARE backed up.

When you back up your iPhone (on iTunes or through iCloud), only app data and settings are backed up. Apps are not backed up, nor is the operating system. So when you restore, the backup tells iTunes which apps you had installed on your phone so it can put them back as well as the settings you had with them. It's more of a schematic than it is actual files.

3. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

No Jailbreak for iPhone 5 but doesn't it only rely on the OS?

there is a jailbreak for iOS 6 but why wouldn't it work on the iPhone 5?

Is it due to hardware?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, not only are jailbreaks iOS specific, they are also iPhone version specific. The hardware plays a part. And there is no jailbreak yet even for iOS 6. There will be a jailbreak for iOS 6 for 4S's and under first. They've said the JB for the iPhone 5 will take substantially longer after that, so a lot of waiting to do..

5. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The only jailbreak for iOS 6 is for the iPhone 4 and it's tethered only, meaning it's gone if your device turns off for any reason. The iPhone 5 has a new processor and an exploit must be found first to achieve a jailbreak for it. There's going to be quite a long wait until that happens.

6. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Might not be that long after all: LINK