iPhone 5 just a spec bump?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Day48, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Day48 macrumors member

I am wondering why people are thinking that the iPhone 5 will be just a spec bump? Personally I see it as a good opportunity to introduce a new design. Apple has milked this design for a while and when it lauched it was plagued by the "death grip" and every release after that also was plagued with that. So why not start a new design, get rid of those thoughts people have. Also they have a great unibody design in the iPad 2 and I think that they will model that? Just my thoughts, what are yours? Cause I am in the market for an iPhone...

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple doesn't redesign the phone every year. Based on the pattern from last 4 years, apple kept same old design on both iPhone 3G and 3GS.

Tim cook already mentioned several times that they are not willing to do design change on iPhone yet. Pretty much says that this upgrade will get Dual core, double memory and better camera.

3. coooolwhip macrumors newbie

I think it's safe to say it will be faster but as far as the design I don't think you'll see a drastic change.

Camera might be better, although I think it's already pretty darn good.

4. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I hope!

Dual core A5
    SGX543MP2
    1GB RAM
    32/64GB
    8MP Camera
    Bluetooth 3.0
    Much improved iOS 5

If all the above come true, it'd make it a pretty substantial upgrade.

5. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

Looks good to me. I think the 4 is a great phone already. These updates will just make it that much better.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

All i'm expecting is the A5 and an 8MP camera, possibly 1GB of Ram. It's not a Droid so forget about a 4" screen. I doubt it will look much different from the iPhone 4.

7. robkot macrumors member

If apple didnt plan on atleast changing the size of the LCD, they would not have released the white ip4.

You can expect bigger screen, more ram, dual core, 8mp camera, I hope it's delayed until LTE is ready.

I have a knowledgable source within apple who doesn't have permission to speak to me about it, but he did say "bigger and better." he wouldn't go any farther on the subject though.

His son claims a total redesign.

8. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the 5th-gen iPhone. Don't disappoint me Apple, I wanna see a revolutionary device!

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'm looking forward to a bigger screen, 3.7" will do! just god something bigger than 3.5 but significant enough, so 3.7 - 4" seems ideal.

The iPhone 5 will be amazing, it's Apple's top secret and thats why we haven't heard of much info and it's almost May.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Considering early reports are saying the white iPhone 4 is no longer plagued with proximity sensor or death grip issues I think it's fair to say that Apple has made improvements where improvements were needed.

That said, and iOS overhaul is what I'm really looking forward to - but I doubt they'll stop there. At the least I'm expecting a redesigned OS with an iPhone 4S type update - which will be fantastic.

In reference to Apple saying they aren't willing to make design changes, that was in reference to LTE - not aesthetic design in general (not that I think they'll be making much of a change aesthetically anyway)

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's not a Droid so forget about 1GB RAM as well. Obviously we have no idea what they'll do though.

12. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

All of that with all the new features were going to get with iOS 5 I say both iOS 5 and the iPhone 5 will be both big improvements.

13. swiftbmx macrumors regular

oh please

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think 1GB of Ram is a necessity at this point, a 4" screen is not. A larger screen would also require every app to be adjusted in some form. Furthermore I hate huge phones.

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You won't see any display changes until next year. It's clear apple keeps the same design for at least another year.

16. diamornte macrumors regular

-----Except within the last 4 years, Apple changed the case design from the iPhone (v1) to iPhone 3G (v2)

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Really? Because all the apps run fine so far in the current RAM.
    A larger screen (not specifically 4") won't require every app to be adjusted, if the aspect ratios will remain the same. It's up to the developers if they plan on using the extra screen real estate.
    Who said that the phone has to be huge?

In your opinion, 1GB is necessary. In my opinion it's the bigger screen that's necessary.

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yup. This will be argued by everyone else on Macrumors until the iPhone 5 is announced lol

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There aren't many phones with 1GB RAM yet (or I could be wrong) and Apple historically hasn't been all too concerned with specs, so I just don't see it happening. If anything, the iPad needs more RAM than the iPhone, and it has 1/2 a GB as well. But then again, the iPad 1 had less RAM than the iPhone 4 though it was released a few months before (same scenario this year?) Apple can't keep multiplying the RAM from 128MB to 256MB to 512MB to 1GB and so on. I mean, they can, but then iPhone 6 would have 2GB ram?? lol I think Apple will have to take a break and might do 768MB RAM, if anything at all.

Haha, it's kind of funny thinking the iPhone 3G has 128MB RAM. That's horrible.

20. Day48 thread starter macrumors member

I think there is going to be a pretty drastic change. They have seemed to really milk the iPhone 4 design with the different releases and to come out with the same design with a slight spec bump, would keep people from upgrading. They need peoples upgrades for the success of the device because everywhere you go you see iPhone 4s. If people are just missing out on a slight spec bump they will be holding out for iPhone 6. Apple wants everyone to upgrade every year, because that is where the money is. If I had an iPhone 4 and I was missing out on an 8MP camera and 1 GB RAM, I wouldn't upgrade, I'd be one holding out.

21. collisos macrumors member

I'm hoping the iPhone 5 has a jump similar to the one from 3GS to the 4. I hope iOS is significantly different too. I hope that there is a lot more customization and an updated notification system. Having recently jailbroken my iPhone 4 I would love some of those ideas to be incorporated in the new iPhone or OS.

22. cbguitarschool macrumors newbie

As a developer, I'm kind of hoping they do increase the screen size. The iPhone's pixel density is already pretty crazy where it is right now so if they went with a 4 inch screen or bigger and kept the pixel ratio it would still look amazing.

23. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

a logical person would think this, but we're talking about a very arrogant company here with followers that gold plate every word out of Steve Job's mouth. apple knows they can put out an iphone 5 that is just a refresh and people will still buy the hell out of it. only apple can get away with a two year span between redesigns.

things have definitely been going differently this year though. who knows what the hell september will bring.