iPhone 5 looks like a premium product, iPhone 6 does not

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dba415, Nov 10, 2014.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

From the ugly antenna lines, to the camera protruding, to the overall plastic-y feel of the device, the iPhone 6 simply does not look like a premium product. Compare it to the iPhone 5/5S and it is night and day. The glossy edges, and the plastic bands are barely noticeable yet still complement the design.

The only thing I like about the iPhone 6 design is how the screen curves on the edges.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How can it feel plasticky if it's mostly aluminum and glass? The 3G/3GS was plasticky; the 6/6+ is not.

3. 53kyle, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The 5/5s is a pretty sick design. Can't argue with that.

Attached Files:

5. davedvdy macrumors regular

Where is the plastic? The slimmer design and curved edges of the iPhone 6 make
    it look sleeker and more premium, IMO.

Even the Former Android VP Hugo Barr called iPhone 6 'Most Beautiful Smartphone ever".
    So there are plenty that disagree, but the phone is what it is.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

iPhone 5 looks like a premium product, iPhone 6 does not

IMO the 6 is the best looking iPhone since the 4.

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I have both models. I love both models. They are differently and equally fine.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What is that app on your phone?

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree that the protruding camera is unsightly and not Apple-esque. The rest of it I like a lot though. And I'm still using a 5.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's not mine but the app is iLevel to control aftermarket car air suspension.

11. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

What's with people saying that the protruding camera isn't apple-esque? The iPod touch in 2012 got it first! I think it perfectly fits in with apple's design because they at least tried to make it look pretty.

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Really quick.. why would anyone need to control their air suspension in their car? Interesting… went to the site, but doesn't really explain. I'm just amazed at what these apps can do. Thanks.

EDIT: I found my answer under the LEARN Tab in that site you posted for iLevel.

GENERAL AIR SUSPENSION FAQ:

Why Air Suspension?

A: Level your load – passengers, fuel, cargo, trailers, etc. Adjust the height of your vehicle on the fly – improved appearance, obstacle clearance, ease of loading, etc. Get an exceptional ride quality regardless of load – read the next Q/A for the explanation. Get amazing handling stability and performance due to the inherent progressive spring rate that Air Springs offer.

13. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Since this thread has lasted over 2 hours, I'll chime in.

Best phone design ever- iPhone 4, still looks good 3 years later. If only they resurrect it with a 5" screen...

Second place- iPhone 6/6 Plus. I'm quite happy with the design, camera, and feel of my 6 Plus, but it is the buggiest iPhone ever produced.

I never liked iPhone 5, it drove me to HTC One within 6 months of use##. Maybe it was the regression in design and feel, but it was a let down.

14. x34 macrumors 6502

apple created it THAT UGLY on purpose, all focus has been on the watch for mr. ive and they want to you buy the next iphone 7 too when the hype for big displays is over.

15. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

OP just put a bedazzled Hello Kitty case on it and you'll love it.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Couldn't disagree more with the OP - I think the 6 looks more premium than the 5/5s with the stupid panels on the back and a chamfered edge that chipped as soon as you looked at it

The 6 feels superb in the hand too with its rounded edge glass and more natural aspect ratio (always felt the 5/5s was too tall and narrow)

In fact, I hated the look of the 5/5S so much that I spent 2 years on Android between the 4S (which still looks fantastic) and the 6

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 certainly look premium to me. One person's opinion though does not make anything fact though. I am guessing you'll be out-numbered on this one, but thanks for sharing. ;)

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on the volume of sales, I think we can make a leap of faith the many people love the way it looks, otherwise they'd not be dropping their hard earned $$ on it.

I think the designs are different enough that they're not mutually exclusive. Both are premium products, but using different designs. I love the look of the IP5 but I also love the look of my IP6+ as well.

19. caravela macrumors newbie

After one day of using iPhone 6 you do not want to go back to iPhone 5/5s. And the look of new iPhone is much better.

20. shawndc86 macrumors newbie

i agree, the 5/5s looks so much better, the 6 is so slippery & it seems like apple actually rushed this product just to release a phone

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Exactly. I loved my 5S but after holding and using the 6, I don't think I could ever go back.

22. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

They're different. I do prefer the look of the 5, but I definitely think the 6 looks and feels like a premium device. Go handle a Samsung and then an iPhone 6 and tell me it doesn't feel premium.

23. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Most people have just spent hundreds of dollars on purchasing new iPhones. There is no way you will get them to turn on their purchase and say it is not a premium device, especially over something they just sold/ handed off. So, what is the point of posting this when you will never get an objective answer? Just move on, unless you want to keep trolling...

24. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Am I allowed to say I think both look and feel premium? Ok, I just did, I've owned both and this is my opinion. You're welcome. ;)

25. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

The Black iPhone 5 was the best looking iPhone ever.

I don't mind the design of the 6, at least the space grey model. It looks a lot better in person than in pictures. The gold was a big step backwards in this design, it doesn't look nearly as good as the 5S.