iPhone 5 on AT&T loses data connection and needs reboot

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphone3gnj, Sep 28, 2012.

1. iphone3gnj macrumors member

Hi,

I have 64gb model. This has happened to me 3 time in the past 2 days. I'll be on LTE and try to go to a website. The browser doesn't respond, and I see the spinning circle. I tried turning LTE off, and the same issue persists on 4G. Reenabling LTE doesn't work. The only way to get data to work is to reboot the phone. I don't know if this is a phone issue or AT&T issue. Does anyone else have this issue?

2. brian5258 macrumors newbie

Same here man. I hope there's a fix soon. The 4G signal in my area by my work is crayup. Rebooting to switch to 3G everyday is not fun :mad:

3. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

In 2 of the situations, I was coming off of wifi. But I've came off of wifi in these locations before, and LTE worked. I called AT&T, and they were not having 4g issues.

4. rklaver macrumors newbie

Well at least I know others are having the same issue. I wasn't getting emails most of Sunday. Restarted the phone sunday night everything was fine, then when I woke up this morning the data was hosed again. Restarting is the only thing that will fix it. Dropping to 4G didn't work nor did toggling airplane mode. 16GB model. My wife has the same phone and has seen no data problems with hers.

5. viper1000 macrumors newbie

Had the same issue I had to turn on and off airplane mode and that seemed to work but started to get annoyed... I reset my network settings and turned off my imessages and don't know why but so far problem is resolved

6. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

This issue is really starting to tick me off too. At first I called AT&T the first two times to have my data reset and they said its a common thing with the 5 and apple knows about it and working on a software fix.
    I asked apple over the phone as well as in stores and they know nothing of this

I notice mine does this when going from a place with little to no signal. Once I get to an Area with signal again it will not negotiate and go back to hspa+ again easily. It will sit in edge and I can watch my voice bars fluctuate like crazy. Sometimes flipping airplane on and off or data on and off helps for a quick fix but something deft isn't right.
    My 4 and 4s don't do this and on the same ios6

7. ReillyGJ22 macrumors newbie

Same problems here as well. Like others have said, I just mess with the airplane mode to get it working.

8. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Apple gave me a new phone today no questions asked. They feel it was a hardware issue with the antenna. I haven't tested the low quality areas yet but wifi seems leaps and bounds better already.
    I was scared to swap because of the cosmetic issues and i had a blem free one from launch.I watched a guy go through 6 blacks in front of me until he got a perfect one.
    I happened to get a perfect cosmetic one first shot and was happy.

Time will tell if the new phone fixes that issue. Maybe the wifi issue and this issue really goes hand in hand and an antenna issue?

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Mine has been cycling every few seconds between the various data types. LTE -> 4G -> 3G -> EDGE -> No Data -> No Service. It seems to be stuck in some strange loop.

10. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

That was the last straw for me when mine was doing that. I got it replaced the next morning.

11. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

I just switched to AT&T but had the same problem with my sprint iPhone 5. I'm currently using a 4S until my 5 arrives, it's been great. Hopefully I don't experience this crap with the 5.

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

13. Mike4486 macrumors newbie

Mine does the same thing, I took pictures of it cycling. Verizon's is doing the same. Hopefully it's a software issue...

14. iphone3gnj thread starter macrumors member

Is the new device working better?

----------

I haven't had the data cut out in a while. The issue I'm having now is getting back an LTE signal after a phone call and switch to 3G/4G. I have to go into setting to turn LTE off and on to get LTE back right away. If I don't do anything, LTE eventually comes back. I was thinking of getting a replacement but don't know if that will fix it. This issue is on both Verizon and AT&T.

15. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Yes the new phone is flawless and has not dropped signal yet in the same areas where the other one had problems.
    Switches back immediately with no action take
    Also wifi issue fixed with the new phone

16. plixyloren macrumors newbie

Hmmm The Problem same with my Iphone hope will fix soon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. octicolly macrumors newbie

Since iphone 5 very amazing, sometimes disappoiting me is the WIFI

18. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That happened to me once, last weekend. I was at a friend's house, with marginal LTE. Over the course of an hour or so, it went all the way down to EDGE. I had to do a hard reset, and then it was fine again, reliably connecting to LTE. If it happens again, I'll think about replacing it, but I'm happy with everything else about the phone, so I'm not sure I'll pull the trigger.

19. IrishFire74 macrumors newbie

Happened to me - about 4 weeks after iPhone 5 in service. Apple store replaced it with no questions. I have now had the new phone for 1 week (after replacing another 5 for home button issues). Now it is happening again. Hope they do an update and fix soon

20. LearnIIBurn macrumors member

I am on Sprint in San Francisco and we don't have LTE yet. But my iPhone 5 64GB loses data ALL the time. I have to airplane mode it and off again to restore it. I travel in the subway a lot and when I get out the phone will not reconnect to 3G unless rebooted or airplane moded.

It not game breaking for me really. But it is a persistant issue and I can replicate it 100% very easy. Sprint's network is pretty terrible none-the-less.

I really hope they get on the faster network bandwagon. These Tier 1 networks make insane amounts of money.

21. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Have a new iPhone for 3 days and the wifi is just horrible. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just does nothing. It is not the wifi signal since I tested it next to my iPad. I have have to reset the wifi, and airplane mode several times a day and sometimes the only way it works is to turn the phone off completely. It is aggravating!!!!

I did call AT&T when I was at my gym where I usually listen to stuff on youtube while on the thread mill. I said it works then stops but will work if I turn off wifi and just use 3G/4G which grains my battery fast. They had me check with the gym manager who said they had random problems after the hurricane sandy but my iPhone 3GS had worked flawlessly. Anyway, they asked me to just try at home. I got home and it work fine but a few hours later it didn't work at all on Wifi so it definitely is the phone not the signal.

AT&T is supposed to call me back tomorrow, Monday 11/19, to see if it is improved. In a nutshell, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't, regardless of how I hold it. I suspect it I will need to return/exchange it. Glad I did slap on one of their $25 screen protectors yet :(

22. Skb3735 macrumors newbie

This is the exact issue I am having

23. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

This is all so scary to hear especially after ordering my iPhone 5 today mainly to use only at home as a Hotspot to run my computers off of. Does this problem mean it will not be so reliable? Also is the problem a software issue, carrier service issue? or apple hardware issue? also is the problem a luck of the draw where some folks maybe luckier than others?

24. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Just had my Lemon/Apple iPhone5 replaced, fingers crossed if I got a good one.

After several restore, reset, total wipes, conversations with AT&T and finally with Apple, apple admitted they know about a wifi antenna issue on some of the new phones. Not all, but enough that they are aware that my problem is not an isolated issue.

Anyway, after apple decided it was the phone, not the connection, they said they would send me a new phone. I asked if it would take a week or more and they said, Yes. I asked it I could simply do this at my local Apple store and they said sure and they tried to set up an appointment. Sadly, the next appointment was Wednesday, two days from now. So I went to where I got mine, Best Buy, and did an exchange.

Again, I hope I got a good one. I'm not putting on a screensaver until it checks out!!!

25. ebock macrumors newbie

I called Apple today and they had me do a few things the last was to reset the network settings. What I get to do next is their standard shpeal of set the phone up as a new device after loading the OS again. I'm thinking my next phone will be Android.