iPhone 5 or 4GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EarthNeutron, Feb 17, 2011.

?

Do you want the iPhone 2011 to be 4GS or 5?

1. 4GS 100%, Apple won't change the design, just the hardware

54 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. 5, that 4 inch lower res screen is a must have

41 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. IDK and I don't give a ****

25 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. None of above, there's NOT going to be an iPhone 5, just an iPhone mini!

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Just a simple question: I'm going to get rid of my 3GS and get a new :apple: iPhone 2011. However, if the iPhone 2011 is an iPhone 5 (with a 4 inch screen or no Home button), I won't buy it, unless the resolution increases and the ppi stay the say (which I don't think so), I'm going to buy a 4 for 100$ on contract.
    What do you WANT this next iPhone to be?
    4GS (dual core processor, upgraded graphics, 8MP 1080p camera)
    or 5 (same specs as 4GS + 4" lower res screen/no home button)

2. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Let's quit this whole "4GS" thing now, as there isn't even a "4G." Apple started this numbering pattern exactly for that reason, so they wouldn't have to keep adding letters onto the product name. Drives me insane.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I agree. There is NO iPHONE 4G So even thinking that the next iteration will be called the iPhone 4gs is silly.

No matter what changes are made to it little or major it will simply be called the iPhone5. This makes perfect marketing sense to move away from the antenna issue hype with the iPhone4.

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

The next iphone will be at minimum HSPA+ compatibe, which is now labeled as a 4G tech. Thus, 4G. The S comes from the increased speed/ dual core. Thus 4GS.

5. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

1. That's not likely. It will probably still be 3G only.

2. Apple isn't going to release a 4GS without releasing a 4G first, just as they did with 3G and 3GS. They aren't going to confuse consumers like that.

3. The whole point of the iPhone 4's name is to eliminate the confusion caused by 3G/3GS/4G etc. in the future. They can not start naming them iPhone 5, 6, 7 and so on.

If Apple is really going to release a phone with 4G, faster processors, and other new software features, it's going to be called the iPhone 5. It only makes sense.

6. at&t iphone macrumors newbie

Now as far as 4G and 4GS goes, if apple has an GSM+CDMA+LTE capable chip they are satisfied with then it will be the iPhone 4G. This way at&t users get HSPA+ and verizon users get LTE at the time of release (or soon for verizon LTE similar to at&t's upgrade to HSDPA with the 3GS), both faster and both '4G'. Then when at&t flips the switch on LTE then the phone will already be compatible for that day.

I'm just not sure if Apple is ready for LTE and if they aren't they can't call it the iPhone 4G without leaving verizon customers out. None of these names are probably right, Apple will have some name that we are not thinking of right now.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Johnny seeing as the Verizon iPhone already contains a cell chip that is HSPA+ capable I'd say it near 100% that the next iPhone will be HSPA+. And why would you think the name iPhone 5 makes sense? The 4 is the only one to use numerical naming based on succession. The other 3 phones were named based on their features. So if the new phone is 4G capable, and is faster, a name of 4GS would be more likely then iPhone 5.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

My guess iPhone 4S or iPhone 5.

iPhone 4G, iPhone 4GS, or iPhone 6 next year.

9. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I'm not sure. I think Apple may need a 4" screen to keep up with the competition, but it's hard to say.

10. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple's going to surprise everyone and release iPhone 6.

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think you are all jumping to conclusions here.

The new baseband supports LTE, so the only reasonable name would be the iPhone 4G.

Just like the iPhone 3G when it got, gasp, 3G/UMTS connectivity.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We're not going to see a 4G based iPhone in 2011. AT&T is no where ready with their LTE network, heck they just bought a billion dollars of white space last december. In the meantime they're renaming their HSPA+ stuff 4G to give the impression that they have some 4G available.

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

4" screen won't fit in the current design (realistically). I doubt we'll even see 3.7" (the small gain would hardly be worth Apple's trouble)
    [​IMG]

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Even if the next gen supports LTE, they won't call it iPhone 4G because too many people think incorrectly that the iPhone 4 is called iPhone 4g, it would be too hard to differentiate them. So probably iPhone 5 if it's a major upgrade otherwise 4s

15. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think it'll either be called iPhone 4GS - for speed bump, with LTE; iPhone 4S, just for a speed bump or iPhone 5 - for speed bump, LTE and more

16. iRance macrumors regular

Those statements confused me so I give you this

Attached Files:

17. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Let's hope we'll get an iPhone 5 with a slightly higher resolution that the iPhone 4 (so it could still be Retinal at 326ppi or even more)

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Who cares what its called?
    I'm looking to upgrade from my iPhone 3GS too. I had an upgrade last year, and I have no idea why I didn't buy the iPhone 4 back then. I hope they don't remove the home button. In the next iPhone, I'm looking for a faster phone with a better camera. Everything else is a bonus. :apple:

Apple doesn't care what we think/hope/expect about the next iPhone though. They'll do what they want.

19. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

20. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I was coming in here to that exact thing.

21. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Who the OP?

22. saberahul macrumors 68040

Yes.

23. svenn macrumors 6502

iPhone 5. Because it is the 5th model to be released.

When naming the 3GS, Apple figured out a way to keep a '3' in the name of their third iPhone by claiming it was for speed. And now their 4th model could be called iPhone 4. I would bet that people calling the first phone 2g still irks them a bit, as well as the fact that their second phone is the 3g.

24. SamElfer macrumors newbie

iPhone 5

I personally think they'll look to call it the iPhone 5, what's intriguing me is whether Apple will continue to use consecutive numbers for subsequent models. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last number before the company start to use a different naming convention. What do you think?

I've discussed it a bit more over at my blog http://samelfer.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/what-comes-after-4