Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

005006-iphone51_500.jpg

The front bezel of what is claimed to be an "iPhone 5" part has reportedly been posted to by iDealsChina. The image was first discovered by 9to5Mac. iDealsChina writes:
China's 1st iPhone 5 photo has surfaced! From this photo it seems that the screen size will be larger than iPhone 4. There has been a lot of specualtion about a larger screen and maybe this will be one of the upgrades we will see when iPhone 5 is released this summer.
The screen could match up with claims that the iPhone 5 will have a larger 4 inch screen as well as a "edge to edge" screen which we mean to interpret as a smaller bezel (border). It's hard to tell for sure without a comparison with the current iPhone 4 next to it.

iDealsChina was one of the sources of the early (2008) iPhone Nano rumors based on some early cases from accessory makers. They had previously posted moldings for the then-unreleased iPhone 3G cases which turned out to be accurate. The iPhone 5 is rumored to be launching this summer.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Part Shows Larger Screen, Thinner Bezel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xoixly

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Fake. Look at the screen you can clearly see by the black part where the camera is that it is slanted.

Comment

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Great I guess, but am I the only one who thinks black looks horrible for an iPhone? White on the other hand looks pretty awesome.. Apple should either it brushed aluminum or white..

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
not sure why they'd go this way. bigger screen isn't an inherent advantage unless they keep the same resolution and add more pixels. They won't do that unless they add pixels for use by the OS but not apps (notification area, or virtual home button, etc.) I don't see them doing any of that.

Comment

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
not sure why they'd go this way. bigger screen isn't an inherent advantage unless they keep the same resolution and add more pixels. They won't do that unless they add pixels for use by the OS but not apps (notification area, or virtual home button, etc.) I don't see them doing any of that.

How can you keep the resolution the same and add pixels???

Comment

fdv

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
This is exactly what I want to happen, but it does look fishy...please Apple!

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like it.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I wouldn't mind it, as long as it was tapered.

You see, with a four inch model, Apple could make the battery even bigger. Think about the iPad. Bigger display, much bigger battery, epic battery life.

The other potential that I see is splitting the iPhone into two product lines, with one being an iPhone Pro. The iPhone Nano could potentially fit in here, but that seems unlikely to me. Perhaps they could shrink down the existing model a little bit, use some cheaper parts like the retina screen from the iPod Touch that is non-IPS, and sell the base iPhone for cheaper with the Pro model for power users and other Apple freaks like most of us.

This way Apple gets to dominate the high-end while nosing their way into the mid-to-low end.

Comment

darkslayer13

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Size

I was able to determine the size of the screen using a computer ruler. I compared the home button size to an iPhone 4 (assuming its the same size on the "iPhone 5"). The results are below:

"iPhone 5" in photo (photo sizes; not actual sizes):
corner to corner = 3.59375 in.
Home button diameter in photo = 0.34375 in.

"iPhone 4":
Home button diameter = 0.4375 in.

Conversion of "iPhone 5" photo screen size:
3.59375 x (0.4375 / 0.34375) ≈

4.5 inches

Soooo, either the photo is fake, or the iPhone 5 will have a 4.5 inch screen!!! :D

Seeing how the current iPhone can only maximally hold a 4 inch screen, I'm concluding:

FAKE!

Last edited:
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I was able to determine the size of the screen using a computer ruler. I compared the home button size to an iPhone 4 (assuming its the same size on the "iPhone 5"). The results are below:

"iPhone 5" in photo:
corner to corner = 3.59375 in.
Home button diameter in photo = 0.34375 in.

"iPhone 4":
Home button diameter = 0.4375 in.

Conversion of "iPhone 5" photo screen size:
3.59375 x (0.4375 / 0.34375) ≈

4.5 inches

Soooo, either the photo is fake, or the iPhone 5 will have a 4.5 inch screen!!! :D

Seeing how the current iPhone can only maximally hold a 4 inch screen, I'm concluding:

FAKE!

Or the home button is not the same size.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.