iPhone 5 power/lock button loose and rattling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDustiNN, Sep 21, 2012.

1. DDustiNN, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

My lock button is loose and rattles back and forth if I shake the phone slightly. I noticed the rattling when I got a text messages, from the vibration. I thought it was the camera shutter, but it's definitely the power button.

Is anyone else's like that? My iPhone 4 power button is completely solid, while this one has some wiggle room it seems.

Just wondering if it's something I need to live with, or if I should go to the Apple store this weekend....

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Mine and many many iPhone4's also have the sleep/wake button rattle.

3. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Mine being loose was about the first thing I noticed about my iPhone 5. The lock button on my 4S is super tight. I don't think it's going to be an issue, but I'll keep an eye on it.

4. Photoblaster macrumors newbie

That was the first thing I noticed when I set my phone down, I heard a rattle. After holding various buttons down I found that the power button is the culprit. If I shake the phone it sounds like a small piece is loose inside, but it's just the power button. I'm going to talk to Apple once the launch chaos dies down.

5. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Are you sure it's not the camera? The moving parts (focus mechanism) inside the iPhone4S camera are known to rattle a bit.

6. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

That was my first thought too, since my iPhone 4 camera rattles a tiny bit. So I put my finger over the button, shook, and no noise at all. Let go of the button, shook, rattle.

It's not a big deal I guess, but I really liked how solid the button felt on my 4.

7. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I noticed the rattle as well and thought i was alone!
    It feels like there is a tiny metal thing loose inside!

8. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

My 4S's sleep wake button is extremely loose, but GUESS WHAT?? My phone works flawlessly!!!

9. aajad macrumors member

aajad

I noticed it too. I hold it down, no rattle. Now when I put it up to my ear, I hear it until it's against my ear. If I wasn't aware of it I probably wouldn't mind but it pi$$es me off because I hear it every time now. I'm sure my mind will learn to ignore it. I'll checkout other phones at the Apple Store next week and then decide if I want to go through setup again.

10. essential macrumors regular

Mine rattles as well, annoying when getting texts, it's always something, heh.

11. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Mine does the same thing. Even my volume rockers are a bit loose. I don't mind personally, as long as it falling out or failing to work is never a concern.

12. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Mine rattles as well! Feels very chinsy, but I can't complain. I only have 2 rub marks that are hardly noticable!

13. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I have the rattle as well. I believe it's the device used to vibrate the phone. See the iFixIt teardown for more details.

I've had it on other phones. Not optimal but doesn't bother me. :)

14. JDBaughman macrumors newbie

Hmmmm this will be an issue for me... I'm still on the fence about the google nexus or the iP5... The google doesn't have GPS blah blah blah, and I thoroughly enjoy apple iOS... BUT, reading some of the complaints on macrumors is making me 2nd guess my big purchase... I am going to wait a few months, hopefully they will update the model with making tighter buttons... Kinda like they did with the 4 when it first came out...

What do you think?

15. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Yeah mine seems to be a bit loose too, got mine from the UK, like you say might be worth checking out a few other peoples phones to see if theres is the same.

16. GreenFrog macrumors member

bump.

my black ip5 has a loose/rattling power button, as does my roommate's.

i also noticed it on every single display ip5 at my local apple store..

i can hear and feel the button rattle when i get a notification and my ip4 most DEFINITELY did not have this issue.

im surprised more people haven't noticed this.. and when i demonstrated the issue to a local apple genius, one of the first things he said was that he can't swap my phone out for this issue if most of the phones do this.

i think they now know that the vast majority of iphones have this problem and they're now just going to pass it off as 'normal.'

in my mind, this issue is far more annoying and problematic than the scuffing issue.

17. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

I called up Apple and asked them about this. Apparently it's the auto focus or something in it.

18. Petronas macrumors regular

Do you guys find that the iPhone 5 lock button is more recessed than the iPhone 4?

19. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

This one seems to have a very tight button compared to the previous models.

20. Petronas macrumors regular

As in not as high/tall as the 4/4S yeah?

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Interesting that Apple has caught on... I called about the exact same thing 1 year ago on my 4s and they told me it definately should not make a noise and to send it back.

...all of them on display did it too.

22. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

mine rattles as well, but I don't consider it a huge issue. Overall, the phone is solid.

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

sure beats the "battery rattle" that some were reporting... sheesh! like shaking a shoebox with one shoe in it.

24. NavyDude065 macrumors member

Lens Cover

It's the crystal camera lens cover. I placed my finger on the crystal cover and no more rattle. It's part of the design.

25. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

The lock button is a bit loose on my iPhone 5, but quite solid on my iPhone 4.