Iphone 5 Practical Possibilities

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvilSmiley, Feb 18, 2011.

1. EvilSmiley, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

EvilSmiley macrumors member

EvilSmiley

Hi all,

We have been hearing a lot of rumors and expectations on many possible upgrades that could come on Iphone 5 (or what ever it may be called). What are the practical possibilities for those rumored features that i could make it to the next gen phone from apple ?

:apple: Dual Core Processor -------------------------- :D
    :apple: NFC ----------------------------------------- :D
    :apple: 4G/LTE Capability ---------------------------- :(
    :apple: GSM & CDMA Capabilities (World Phone) ------- :(
    :apple: 4" Screen ------------------------------------ :confused:
    :apple: Form Factor/Antenna Redesign ---------------- :(
    :apple: HDMI Output --------------------------------- :(
    :apple: iOS/GUI Update ------------------------------ :confused:

Note: Keep in mind that fitting most of these features into a new phone will require a lot of battery consumption. So apple will really think hard before enquing them into a phone and finalise. If you have any logic to support your assumption please feel free to post them as well.

:D - Yes
    :( - No
    :confused: - Maybe

2. mysticalone macrumors newbie

I think they might remove the home button and just make one long capacitive screen. Using gestures, you can mimic the same functions of a button. In turn this means less components in the phone so more room for other components and much easier for them to repair.

3. chestvrg macrumors 65816

What is NFC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

NFC stands for near field communication. The main use for this tech is that your phone can become your credit/check cards and be used for payments at retailers. They need a specific device to accept it but it could reduce the need for an overloaded wallet. There's other features to it as well but thats what most people are looking at it for.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Two things:

1) Next iphone will probably be 4G compatible with HSPA+ not LTE (still 4G)
    2) The iPhone is already a World Phone. Yes there are other countries that use CDMA, but the vast majority is using GSM. If you have a CDMA phone and leave the US, you will not get signal anywhere past our borders. Went to Bahamas and had nothing, my Treo couldn't even update its time. Go with an AT&T phone, you have large roaming rates but it is still useable.

6. EvilSmiley thread starter macrumors member

EvilSmiley

It is a modern technology with which you could use your iphone as an credit/debit card. Although i have serious questions about this technology

1) If your phones gets stolen, so does your card.
    2) Security, If you have to use it it has to be protected by some sort. The most that i could think of is activating it using a password. But for every purachase if you have to open that app and enter the passsword i would rather choose swipe of a card. Or if they donot have pswd sytem, i donot know how they would secure the system.
    3) Battery - Additional hardware = additional power consumption. Imagine you are in a shopping mall and your battery died and you wil stand there embarassed. [dont say who would be dumb enuf not to keep the phone charged up, believe me people do. You talk on the phone, listen to songs/youtube, browse , your mail/facebook updates coming in these things would eat you battery up like crazy. 65 - 70 % of your battery will be gone easily]

These are my views abt NFC. But i still believe apple will overcome these things in a smart way :)

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'm guessing we see a form factor change. A total assumption, but I feel they will try and move away from the antenna stigma.

8. EvilSmiley thread starter macrumors member

EvilSmiley

By world phone i meant both CDMA and GSM integrated. I dont know if it is practicaly possible but i've heard apple is working on it so no matter what network preveils in the country you visit, you will still be able to use iphone. Different countries operate in different bandwidth's. For eg in india, they operate in 3 bandwidth in which only one is available in US. So if i goto to india my phone recognizes only signal from a particular bandwidth not the rest of them. So they might be working on something for the iphone to work on most of the bandwidth over the world.

9. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Apple uses chips from Qualcomm in their phones and the currently have a different one for CDMA and GSM in the respective phones. However there is already a production chip that can handle both type of networks and will probably be in the next phone. That will enable apple to produce one type of phone with different storage levels for all carriers.

10. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I just hope they change it enough to justify my waiting an additional 5 months.

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

LTE is definitely possible. I'd change that to a maybe.

An iOS update is imminent, IDK why you have that as maybe, that's a yes.

HDMI is a definite no. Apple hates putting ports. They would also lose Apple TV sales. They are pushing Airplay too much to add an HDMI cable and provide people with a reason not to use the Apple TV.

I think that the iPhone 5 will be the same body as the iP4, maybe with some minor adjustments. Perhaps the attenae will be redesigned more like the Verizon one just to make people happier and to stop talking about a problem that has been proven over and over that really isn't much of a problem at all.

I agree with your maybe's on the World Phone and 4" screen. IDK if that will happen though.

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

HSPA+ is even further back into it's rollout than LTE is. The whole reason people don't think Apple will use 4G is because of how new it is. I doubt they will roll out an iPhone for AT&T with 4G capability, when AT&T is further behind than all the carriers in that regard...just my thoughts. Perhaps im wrong.

13. EvilSmiley thread starter macrumors member

EvilSmiley

LTE - The reason i didn put a may be on this one is because, at&t is still struggling to get their 3G right [I get 5 bars in my office but the data rate sucks]. I dont think apple would consider implementing LTE for att when its coverage area is not widspread. And one more consideration, if they implement LTE

1) it would suck the battery
    2) Since its not wide spread, people would be complainin abt the data speed like what they did with IP4's antena [so called death grip]. So they wouldn want to get into that pool again.

IOS - This one was a maybe becasue as we know that we are going to get an ios 4.3 upgrade soon. So i thought the os might not have any new features other than supporting the new hardware whatever's implemented on IP5. [either this or ios 4.3 upgrade might be just the hotspot facility update for verizon users and some minor upgrades for both nwtwork users]

I will certainly go with you on the HDMI

Form Factor - I think there might be a noticable amount of change the way the IP5 is going to look because the first thing people are going to talk about is the death grip. Apple defined its placement of spaces to accomodate better reception. So they might go with diff form factor with same material used in IP4. [just my guess]

Again all the above details are my thoughts which supports my assumptions. I am not saying this is what's gonna happen but this might. So anybody to contradict my thoughts or think the same in a different way are welcome which paves way to narrow down what we are going to get on June/July.

14. EvilSmiley thread starter macrumors member

EvilSmiley

:eek:Mee too

15. Actarus macrumors member

Anyway, Apple needs to launch the iPhone 5 ASAP. Other companies are presenting outstanding phones and the iPhone 4 will be no longer in the competition very soon. Android is growing very very fast. Come on Apple, are you sleeping?

True

16. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Verizon will have full roll out of LTE by 2013. I don't mind waiting until then. I'm enjoying my VZW iPhone 4.

17. profets macrumors 68040

I thought the verizon iPhone 4 has the Qualcomm MDM6600 chip that can do cdma/gsm/hspa.. I figured they'd use this in the next iPhone, and design it to work on AT&T or Verizon.

18. profets macrumors 68040

Why wait 5 months? I'd grab an iPhone 4 now and then change if/when something new comes in 5 months.

19. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Easy to repair? They consider the iPhone disposable, they just refurbish some of them at the factory, so it is so cheap to get a replacement due to volume that to repair it.

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Dual Core? Yes.
    NFC? Yes.
    4G/LTE? Maybe, Maybe Not.
    World Phone? The Verizon iPhone 4 already has that capability. So Yes.
    4" screen? I really hope so, at the same not not changing the size of phone.
    Form Factor/Antenna redesign? Quite possibly, because the iPhone 4 is plagued with antennagate.
    HDMI Output? Nope.
    iOS update? Yes, 5.0 should bring a proper and long waited for notification system.

21. kdesign7, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  22. EvilSmiley thread starter macrumors member

EvilSmiley

i am not sure if i like the edge to edge 4" screen :rolleyes:

23. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

hspa+ is not real 4g. Of course neither is lte. But lte is closer than hspa+.

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Now, that is a very nice concept. I'd really want the iPhone 5 to look like that. However i'm confused about the volume and brightness toggle, is that on the screen?
    That's not completely edge to edge, which is great.

25. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Good call! Side-to-sideedge glass ;) ummm just touch sensitive controls. No physical button so the whole bottom area has a touch sensitive area for gestures and commands. Similar to android devices. Just something I thought would be neat.

Oh and even though the home button is touch sensitive, it would still have a groove so the user can feel where they are touching. ;). Thx for the compliment. This is a cropped version I made located here
    [​IMG]
    Also in reference to the Direct 10 blurb, i got those specs from looking up the rumored chip 'power rv'.