iPhone 5 randomly reboots

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kingdom23, Oct 20, 2013.

1. kingdom23 macrumors regular

My iPhone has started to randomly reboot - a black screen appears with apple logo and then it reboots, quicker than normal, but annoying all the same. Any ideas? Have done a hard reset, but it hasn't cured it.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

On iOS 7 I assume?

3. kingdom23 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes ios 7.0.2

4. !GS51! macrumors regular

Thats basically a respring its been a known issue in iOS 7, but the problem does not affect all users ur probably one of the unlucky ones. But what you can try is restore iOS 7.0.2 and set up ur iPhone as new and see if it happens again.

5. kingdom23 thread starter macrumors regular

Will a software update, when it comes along, cure it?

6. !GS51! macrumors regular

Well thats basically up to Apple, if they know about it then of course, if they dont know about it then no :p. Im sure they do know about it and hopefully will be fixed in future updates.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Restored and setup my iPhone 5S as new but it kept happening. My replacement should be arriving this week.

8. kingdom23 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it a hardware or software problem then?

9. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Wouldn't be strictly software as it's not affecting all users (ip4, 4s, 5). If it was a update would've been pushed out sooner

Sounds more as both hardware/software compatibility as majority of this happens on the 5S along with the BSOD.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'd say it's a combination like Fantasigraphic said but I'm not sure. I'll find out when my replacement arrives.

11. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I have the iPhone 5s running 7.0.2 and whenever I try to listen to iTunes Radio my springboard restarts then it is fine. It is starting to get annoying.

12. o0smoothies0o macrumors regular

No. It is strictly software. My iPod touch 5G was doing the same thing. Restored and it's fine. Restore clean, not from backup.

13. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

I have this problem too.

So you back up your phone, restore as "new" and then how do you get all of your apps and settings and everything back?

14. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I had my first random reboot today while swiping to open.

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I restored my 5S and set up everything as new yet it kept happening. Whether you will experience the same or not I don't know though.

No it doesn't appear to be strictly software.

16. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Go into Settings/General/About. Scroll down to Diagnostic & Usage, then go into Diagnostic & Usage Data.

If you have any entries called PANIC.PLIST then your iPhone has an hardware issue and will need to be replaced.

I had a 4s that was doing exactly that same thing and I had PANIC.PLIST in the diagnostic log and I had to get it replaced. There is no software fix for PANIC.PLIST's has they are a hardware issue.

17. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

It's a software problem. The music app and mail app cause the phone to reboot constantly for me. I recommend closing those apps when not in use. It doesn't resolve the reboot problem entirely but it helps a little.

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Will people stop assuming what they're dealing with is the same for others. It may be a software issue and it may be a hardware issue.

19. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Springboard crashing is not hardware related.

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Then explain how it's happening on some devices and not others. Even following a restore. Post #16 might shed some light.

21. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

I'd still be willing to give a proper restore a shot. I know how to restore to the set up as new iPhone, but at that point, what do I do to get back all of my apps and settings and data (messages, etc?)

22. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Restore from backup. What's point of doing this if your phone is crashing? Obviously it's something in your backup causing the reboot.

In this case you're just gonna have to bite bullet and restore. If still continues then it's more than software issues and now gotta look at hardware issues/problems

Only way to get apps back is to re download them, and to get settings back you'll have to start from scratch and go thru and set again. To get messages back only way is to restore from backup.

23. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

Ah. Understood. Well...that's a pain...but I guess it's worth a shot. I haven't done a fresh start since I got my first iPhone, and that was years and years ago and I went through all the iOS 7 betas too

24. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If the current software has bugs I don't know why do you think restoring to the same current version of software can eliminate those bugs?

25. TmanATL macrumors member

my 4S with latest version of iOS7 has done this at least 3-4 times.
    VERY annoying. I mean it's pretty quick but then all the apps etc I had open are gone.

This NEVER happened on previous operating systems.