Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingdom23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
My iPhone has started to randomly reboot - a black screen appears with apple logo and then it reboots, quicker than normal, but annoying all the same. Any ideas? Have done a hard reset, but it hasn't cured it.

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Yes ios 7.0.2

Thats basically a respring its been a known issue in iOS 7, but the problem does not affect all users ur probably one of the unlucky ones. But what you can try is restore iOS 7.0.2 and set up ur iPhone as new and see if it happens again.

kingdom23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Thats basically a respring its been a known issue in iOS 7, but the problem does not affect all users ur probably one of the unlucky ones. But what you can try is restore iOS 7.0.2 and set up ur iPhone as new and see if it happens again.
Will a software update, when it comes along, cure it?

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Will a software update, when it comes along, cure it?

Well thats basically up to Apple, if they know about it then of course, if they dont know about it then no :p. Im sure they do know about it and hopefully will be fixed in future updates.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Restored and setup my iPhone 5S as new but it kept happening. My replacement should be arriving this week.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Wouldn't be strictly software as it's not affecting all users (ip4, 4s, 5). If it was a update would've been pushed out sooner

Sounds more as both hardware/software compatibility as majority of this happens on the 5S along with the BSOD.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Is it a hardware or software problem then?

Wouldn't be strictly software as it's not affecting all users (ip4, 4s, 5). If it was a update would've been pushed out sooner

Sounds more as both hardware/software compatibility as majority of this happens on the 5S along with the BSOD.

I'd say it's a combination like Fantasigraphic said but I'm not sure. I'll find out when my replacement arrives.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I have the iPhone 5s running 7.0.2 and whenever I try to listen to iTunes Radio my springboard restarts then it is fine. It is starting to get annoying.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013

No. It is strictly software. My iPod touch 5G was doing the same thing. Restored and it's fine. Restore clean, not from backup.

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
I have this problem too.

So you back up your phone, restore as "new" and then how do you get all of your apps and settings and everything back?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have this problem too.

So you back up your phone, restore as "new" and then how do you get all of your apps and settings and everything back?

I restored my 5S and set up everything as new yet it kept happening. Whether you will experience the same or not I don't know though.

No. It is strictly software. My iPod touch 5G was doing the same thing. Restored and it's fine. Restore clean, not from backup.

No it doesn't appear to be strictly software.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Go into Settings/General/About. Scroll down to Diagnostic & Usage, then go into Diagnostic & Usage Data.

If you have any entries called PANIC.PLIST then your iPhone has an hardware issue and will need to be replaced.

I had a 4s that was doing exactly that same thing and I had PANIC.PLIST in the diagnostic log and I had to get it replaced. There is no software fix for PANIC.PLIST's has they are a hardware issue.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
It's a software problem. The music app and mail app cause the phone to reboot constantly for me. I recommend closing those apps when not in use. It doesn't resolve the reboot problem entirely but it helps a little.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
It's a software problem. The music app and mail app cause the phone to reboot constantly for me. I recommend closing those apps when not in use. It doesn't resolve the reboot problem entirely but it helps a little.

Will people stop assuming what they're dealing with is the same for others. It may be a software issue and it may be a hardware issue.

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
I'd still be willing to give a proper restore a shot. I know how to restore to the set up as new iPhone, but at that point, what do I do to get back all of my apps and settings and data (messages, etc?)

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
I'd still be willing to give a proper restore a shot. I know how to restore to the set up as new iPhone, but at that point, what do I do to get back all of my apps and settings and data (messages, etc?)

Restore from backup. What's point of doing this if your phone is crashing? Obviously it's something in your backup causing the reboot.

In this case you're just gonna have to bite bullet and restore. If still continues then it's more than software issues and now gotta look at hardware issues/problems

Only way to get apps back is to re download them, and to get settings back you'll have to start from scratch and go thru and set again. To get messages back only way is to restore from backup.

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
Restore from backup. What's point of doing this if your phone is crashing? Obviously it's something in your backup causing the reboot.

In this case you're just gonna have to bite bullet and restore. If still continues then it's more than software issues and now gotta look at hardware issues/problems

Only way to get apps back is to re download them, and to get settings back you'll have to start from scratch and go thru and set again. To get messages back only way is to restore from backup.

Ah. Understood. Well...that's a pain...but I guess it's worth a shot. I haven't done a fresh start since I got my first iPhone, and that was years and years ago and I went through all the iOS 7 betas too

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Restored and setup my iPhone 5S as new but it kept happening. My replacement should be arriving this week.

If the current software has bugs I don't know why do you think restoring to the same current version of software can eliminate those bugs?

TmanATL

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2013
my 4S with latest version of iOS7 has done this at least 3-4 times.
VERY annoying. I mean it's pretty quick but then all the apps etc I had open are gone.

This NEVER happened on previous operating systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.