iPhone iPhone 5 replacement

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by mich070, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mich070 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Since the release of iOS 7 I read a lot of threads about battery life on iPhones.. Before updating my iPhone 5 to iOS 7, I had a usage of about 8-9 hours of usage (5 months old iPhone).... After updating to iOS 7 i only had maximum usage of 6 hours of usage... Mostly only 5 hours, and I am only using my iPhone 5 on wifi... So I was really surprised of the changes, because for a lot of users there was no difference. I sent my iPhone back to my Operator, which sent it for me to reparation and they directly switched my iPhone for a new one.
    However, this "new" iPhone 5 came with iOS 6. The usage is exactly the same as before, and now I am scared if I should update to iOS 7, if there will be some changes or not..
    Did somebody experienced the same changes?
    Thank u very much for ur help!

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is nothing wrong with iOS 7 and its battery life. The problem is when people upgrade to iOS 7 from an older version sometimes the upgrade process does something goofy and a bad battery life is a result of this.

If you restore your phone using iTunes and setup iOS 7 as a NEW phone and DO NOT restore from a backup chances are you will be fine.

I get 8-10 hours out of iPhone 5 running 7.0.4. This is what I was getting on iOS 6.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My iPhone 5 had the worst battery life of any of the iPhone's ever released - my iPhone 5S is far superior.

4. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Mine has been pretty awesome today. iOS 7.0.4, iPhone 5.

Attached Files:

5. yzjustdatguy macrumors regular

yzjustdatguy

Any of your usage stats consist of music playback?

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

What a drag to lose ALL your data by not restoring from a back-up. What's the point of sticking with the same ecosystem but then losing everything when you upgrade your o/s?
    A clean install, setting up as a new phone and then restoring from an iCloud back-up has ALWAYS been fine until iOS7 came along.

7. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

Yea, having to redo everyting shouldn't be a requirement of upgrading.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I will have to disagree with you.

Doing a backup restore, whether from iTunes or iCloud has created issues for many in past iOS levels.

Safest way is to just restore your content, but not a full restore from backup.

----------

It isn't a requirement, but a choice --- if you want your device to run trouble-free every time there is a firmware update.

I've owned every iDevice Apple has produced (except the iPad minis) and everyone has run trouble-free on each and every firmware version.
    Yet, all day long I read question after question, complaint after complaint about others having issues having made the choice to restore to backup.

9. pazgb macrumors newbie

I also experianced the same problem.

After searching for hours on this issue, I tried something different. I read on a verizon forum that a rep told the user to pop out the sim card and wait a few seconds and pop it back in. This updates some cellular settings. Then after a few seconds, do a reset(Power + Home button pressed until it turns off and back on). I turned off my icloud backup for now. I'll turn it back on after a couple days to see if that is the culpret. For now just doing basic sync with iTunes.

I also took it a step further and drainned battery until it shutoff at 1% last night. Then plugged it in overnight for full cycle charge. This helps recalabrate the battery.

So far this morning...after 30 min of use, 3 1/2 hours of standby still at 99%. A little FB and email reading/checking.

LTE on
    icloud on, except for backups
    wifi off
    bluetooth off
    mailbox(1 gmail account)
    good enterprise (1 work email account)

Best part was I didn't have to monkey around with setting up as new or backups...yet...

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'll give you specifics:

The phone comes off the charger at 6:30AM

I stream iTunes Radio over LTE on the way to work for 30-40 minutes

At the office I listen to music as much as possible (assuming people don't interrupt me) as I work. On top of this my phone is waking up to e-mails being pushed through exchange and I receive text messages from friends and family throughout the day.

At lunch time I will surf the web on LTE (Flipboard) or play a game.

At the end of the day when I leave work my battery is usually at 50% and I listen to TwiT podcast for 30-45 minutes as I drive home.

I don't put the phone back on the charger until 11:00pm or so.

11. yzjustdatguy macrumors regular

yzjustdatguy

Thats great. I wish I could get 8-10 hours of usage on my 4S like I used to on iOS 6

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's not always sunshine and rainbows. All of us at work that have Verizon iPhones take a big battery hit when the cell tower near us acts up making our signal bars bounce. In situations like that I leave work at 20% battery capacity.

13. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue I got 7-8 hours on iOS 7 once I first update in October but now I get like 4-5

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The only people who supposedly get good battery life with iOS7 are people I have never met on the internet. Every person I know in real life who owns an iPhone, be it the 4/4S/5, ALL have lost big chunks of battery life per charging cycle. This just doesn't seem to be a coincidence to me. No matter what I do and which features I switch off, I cannot better 5.5 hours with my 4 month old iPhone 5. I often get less than 5 hours of use per battery cycle. When I used to get a minimum of 8 hours with iOS 6 this just isn't acceptable.

15. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

Yeah my mom who has a 4s gets like 6 hours and 3 days standby and it's at 47 now so that's terrific

16. yzjustdatguy macrumors regular

yzjustdatguy

Yea same here. It's definitely something I noticed once I put iOS 7 on my phone. Nothing seems to change it back to how it was. Not complaining but it's definitely something that bothers me

17. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

I have everything turned off and when I first updated, I got like 7 hours idk why it's different now

18. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yeah, you have a ****** app running in the background and killing your CPU. Remove all your applications.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I don't know but we shouldn't have to do umpteen clean installs, switch features off and hang around forums trying to work out what's wrong. We only hear the same old advice, in that it's an app causing the problem or a 'corrupt' backup. I have never had to do anything except one clean install and back up from iCloud with previous updates before iOS7 came along. I have owned iPhones for years and am usually the guy dishing out the advice but I'm stumped with iOS7. I just think it's a battery hog unless you have an iPhone 5S.

20. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

I do that before I lock my phone always...

----------

Ya same here the battery is just awful no matter what you do. I was thinking about buying a higher capacity battery or just replacing mine

21. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You delete all your applications every time before you lock your phone...? :confused:

22. yzjustdatguy macrumors regular

yzjustdatguy

I've considered buying a mophie case just because my battery doesn't last long enough. I believe it's an iOS 7 problem and it seems to be running way too much in the background

23. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

No, I kill all the recent apps after I use them...

24. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

That's part of your problem then.

25. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

Do you understand what "kill all the apps in the background means"? It means I double tap home button then swipe up on every app I recently used to close it……