iPhone 5 revealed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smtevo, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Smtevo macrumors 6502

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Seems like alot of trouble for the developers for a mere .2 increase in screen size. Either go w/ a 4 inch screen or stick with 3.5 but fiddling around in the middle is just a waste :(

3. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

with a 3.7 inch display Apple is behind, right out of the gate once again.

4 inches is perfect but then again fanboys will say 3.7 is just right because Apple can do no wrong in their eyes.

When will Apple ever get their ****** right?

4. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone size is perfect. I rarely find myself wanting for more screen real-estate. It's a phone, it's supposed to fit in pockets / cupholders, etc. and fit snugly in all types of hands.

I'd say 4" is too big for a phone. I'll be happy if they don't feel the need to upsize.

5. Ommid macrumors 6502

They' cant

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why is it trouble for them to do nothing?

That's exactly what they'll have to do for such a minor change.

Granted a few of them may decide to make some UI changes to maximize the use of that space, but the vast majority of them will do absolutely nothing to their software after a change like that.
    Uhm, duh...6 inches is 'perfect.' Come on. You're critisizing Apple and yet you don't even know the perfect size yourself?

7. hb13 macrumors newbie

Old phone was the Droid X, and the 4" screen was the one (of many) things I didn't like about that phone. 4"screen for a phone is too big and a hassle. It becomes more of a small tablet.

8. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I had a Nexus One with a 3.7 inch display and even though it was bigger than iPhone's 3.5 it was still lacking in size. I also have currently have a device with a 4 inch display and it's perfect, put along side my iPhone 4 it's noticeably bigger, not too big and not too small 4.3 inches is just way too big and clumsy.

From experience 3.7 just doesn't cut it....it's an improvement over 3.5 but still too small.

9. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

The Droid X has a 4.3 inch display, you're mistaken or just might not be telling the truth.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I know quite a few people who have complained that the current iPhone is a bit too big.

I could see Apple doing a 3.7 iPhone. Or I could see them doing a 3.5 and 4.0 choice. But there's no way in the world they'll go to 4.0 as the only option for the iPhone. They'll lose just as many customers as they'd gain.

Sure, some people like 4.0 screens. But I find it hilarious to call that 'perfect' when I know many people who wouldn't buy it. How can something that loses some customers be called perfect? I'd go with 'different' as a better word.

A 4.0 iPhone is just like a 17" Macbook. I think it's useful and they'll probably make one someday. But to think it'll be the most popular option...that's wishful thinking.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

12. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You're mistaken, remember most Apple users are like you and love whatever Apple produces.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Is anyone else not able to access 9to5mac?

Nevermind. It seems to be working again.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So since I don't want a 4" iPhone and those people are 'like me' then they wouldn't want a 4" iPhone so what you're saying is that you're wrong and they won't like whatever Apple produces.

So you've basically changed your mind, then?

15. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Size

Had a Droid X and liked it, but it did feel big in my pocket. My IPhone 4 feels just right. I don't miss the extra screen size in the Droid.

16. Ommid macrumors 6502

Im not :D

At least not straight away lol

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

My Atrix is similar in size to an iPhone 4 and it houses a 4" display just fine.
    The issue with the iPhone is a lot of wasted space around the screen.
    Even the Atrix has about 4mm of wasted space on the sides of the screen.

I can see Apple maintaining the same height and width form factor of the iPhone 4 while having a 4" screen in there.

Atrix 117.75mm tall x 63.5mm wide

iPhone 4 115.2mm tall x 58.6mm wide

The differences are a matter of a few millimeters.

The Droid X was a beast at 127.5mm tall x 65.5 mm wide

All three are within a millimeter in thickness, so that is pretty much a non-issue.

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Personally, I'd prefer a 3" iPhone with the same resolution, and definitely wouldn't want a 4" one as a preference. However, if that's the only size they do, I'd get it because I would rather compromise on a screen size I don't particularly like than the entire phone.

19. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You might want to rethink a 3" screen. Typing it on it would difficult regardless of how small your hands are. I say this because I had a 2.9" touchscreen phone & it was a pain to use.

20. Smtevo thread starter macrumors 6502

In my opinion 3.7" would be perfect because look at the screen compared to the size of the phone. That screen size on that small of a phone makes the screen look bigger in my opinion.

21. nora47 macrumors regular

i call fake. First, the people who were given the photo are very skeptical. Second, why is there just the one photo of the phone and then when it comes to comparison it shows an iphone 4 and just the screen part. If the provider of the pictures truly had the iphone 4s or 5 or whatever it will be called, wouldnt they take a picture with the two instead of the way they did it. My guess, they photoshopped one picture and were lazy on making another one. The screen part might be real though, but that would be easier to photoshop.

22. EddyP macrumors 6502

lol
    I love it.
    "It's not what I want. If you disagree, you're a fanboy!"
    Hard to argue with "logic" like that

I care more about the overall size and fit in my pocket than the screen size. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen just to make the keyboard a little easier to type on. But I don't care about a bigger screen for anything other than that.

23. Cander macrumors 6502

And how many time have when seen people post that phrase about images that were not legit?

24. JASApplications macrumors 65816

If they are going to make the screen bigger, they've at least got to do it properly by making an 4" screen!

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's the thing, his posts dont have much logic.
    He hates Apple and the iphone yet posts here on the regural:rolleyes:
    Who knows why he cares what other people might like, his opinion is always right....