iPhone 5 Smart Covers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Mar 13, 2011.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Of the great features the Smart Covers has with the iPad 2 such as being a stand, protecting the screen when not in use, cleaning the screen, and waking upon opening, do you also thing it would be great to have this on an iPhone also?

Presumably the iPhone 5.

2. davidhawkins123 macrumors regular

screen is to small though it would be very usefull

3. LouieSamman, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

They might give the new iPhone a sleek form factor just like the iPad 2 and increase the size to a 3.7 or 4" screen. The Smart Covers will look like a mini me of the iPad Smart Covers. I think they can make it work. Imagine not having to worry about your screen getting scratched up when putting your phone in your pocket along with other items.

It would be great for the females who put their iPhones in their purse that has a lot of things that could possibly rub up on the iPhones screen. Having the Smart Covers would stop that from happening.

I know there are cases that has the flip front to cover the screen but the Smart Cover could be the alternative to those who don't want to ruin the design of the iPhone and still keep the thin form factor while just protecting the screen in an elegant way & the added bonus of it becoming a stand.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not sure if people exactly are going to roll that thing off their screen each time they get a new call/text/or whatever iPhone related activity you do.

If they made one, I wouldn't get one. Plus, I already decided I'm gonna go caseless on iPhone 5 :D

5. drummr macrumors regular

I would imagine the cover would get caught and come off every time you wanted to put the phone in your pocket. It works on the iPad because you aren't putting it in anything. I wouldn't want one.

6. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

It would be pretty dump. I mean it woulnd't work like it works on the iphone.

7. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

It would be very very funny, amazingly dumb and ugly and useless.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You'd constantly be putting a phone in and out of your pockets. This wouldn't even be practical. Nice in theory, but..

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha. That was so funny.
    Don't forget how it will cost only $79.99 :D

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't generally worry about that with my naked 4, no problems.

13. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I think they would be quite annoying as I would have to roll it off each time I receive a call or just want to use the phone. They could be available but I don't see myself buying one.

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yeah, same here, seems unnecessary for such a small screen...

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

16. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

There's just no need to put a Smart Cover on an iPhone or iPod touch

17. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Smart Cover is lame, no portrait standing for iPad 2.
    iPhone with something like that is ridiculous.
    Why people think thata a tempered glass can be easily scratched?
    Are you dumb enough to put you iPhone together with your keys and leave it on the sand at the beach?

18. k3roro macrumors 6502

Hmm, wouldn't be that bad of an idea if it's strong enough to not fall off from movements in the pocket and slim to not add bulk.

This would go nicely if the iPhone 5 has a flashing LED so I wouldn't have to flip the top off everytime I want to check if I have notifications.

19. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Haha, and they'll kill to get one. :D

20. calvy macrumors 65816

Magnets on a device that us likely to be near my wallet sound like a terrible idea

21. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

It scratched REALLY easily...

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I thought, but then I'm a little biased about the smart covers. I think they're kind of ugly.

23. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Smart covers are definitely a 'No' for a mobile phone they're just not functional for everyday use.

It's like those annoying leather flip cases you can get for the iPhone, don't understand how people can use them.

24. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I don't know guys but I think it's not that bad as you may think.

If you hate having to flip the cover to see the screen all the time, don't forget you can flip the Smart Cover to the back of the device while the magnet still holds on. That way you have a nice textured feel to the back of the device when holding it.

And you can keep the Cover on the back until you find it necessary to cover the screen when wanting to put it in your pocket that may have keys, coins, ect to protect the screen which is more important than the back since there is no screen on the back.

I think the smart covers would be great for the iPhone 4 design because of it having a 2 sided glass. The slippery feel of holding the glass on the back of the iPhone 4 gets annoying so flipping the Smart Cover to the back will allow that better feel and hold while protecting the back of the glass.

So what I am saying is you don't always have to have the cover to cover the front screen.

25. scuzzbug macrumors member

BAHAHA
    + 1 for your signature!