Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Hi all

I was looking at getting my wife an iPhone for a present, but the latest 6 gen are a out of my budget range.

I found a shop selling reburbised iPhone 5 for nearly half the price of the iPhone6, but I want to know is it worth it?

She would like it for on the hop photos, emails, social media etc. Not really into gaming.

What do you think?

Thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all

I was looking at getting my wife an iPhone for a present, but the latest 6 gen are a out of my budget range.

I found a shop selling reburbised iPhone 5 for nearly half the price of the iPhone6, but I want to know is it worth it?

She would like it for on the hop photos, emails, social media etc. Not really into gaming.

What do you think?

Thanks
I think it's excellent for that. But, I have the iPhone 5 and that's exactly what I use it for. So, maybe you want someone else's opinion, IDK.

My wife also has the iPhone 5 and it's done everything she's needed it to do. She uses it more for email and texting though than anything else.

Of course the 5s would give you TouchID and a 64bit processor, but it may cost more.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here's the only thing I can say against the 5:

You should really search around for deals on 5S phones because I think you may find some that are not all that much more expensive and it's really a lot better for what is hopefully not much more in price.

But if I'm wrong and the 5 is really that much cheaper, yeah, it's perfectly fine. My dad uses a 5C (same specs) and is happy with it in every way.

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Just looked it up and the 5C is £50 more? Would that be worth the extra over the 5? Its got half the storage though.

Unfortunately the 5s is also out of range, theres £180 difference between the 5 and 5S.

Glad to hear you guys say theres plenty of life left in the 5.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
First, check on Swappa.com. I just got a 5 on there, 32 GB, mint condition for only $170. Great deals from great people. Many serious apple enthusiasts sell on there, or so I have observed.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just looked it up and the 5C is £50 more? Would that be worth the extra over the 5? Its got half the storage though.
No.

The 5c is essentially the 5 in a plastic case. There's some minor improvements inside but the 5 is a premium flagship model (at one time) while the 5c was the step down from the 5s.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The iPhone 5 is as good as the iPhone 6 in some respects, worse than it in some respects, and better than it in some respects. Overall it's still a great iPhone.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
My wife still rocks the 5 and loves it. I moved up to the 6 and offered to move her up to the 6 as well and she declined. She said she was happy with the 5 as she only used it for pretty much what your wife will be using it for. My wife likes it for the smaller size as well.

You can get them for really cheap right now and they can still be upgraded to the latest IOS. The 5 is still a worthy phone.

HouseACA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
excellent stuff guys, thanks for the feedback.

That was something i didn't think about fire dept, whether you can update the iOS without compromising the performance.

think i'll go ahead with the 5.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I had a 5 until very recently, used it for 2+ years, and it was still going strong even on iOS 8 and with 2 years use. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for the uses you describe.

My ONLY caveat is warn your wife not to update to iOS 9 until reviews are in because iOS 7 made the 4 very slow and iOS 8 has not been kind to the 4s.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I had a 5 until very recently, used it for 2+ years, and it was still going strong even on iOS 8 and with 2 years use. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for the uses you describe.

My ONLY caveat is warn your wife not to update to iOS 9 until reviews are in because iOS 7 made the 4 very slow and iOS 8 has not been kind to the 4s.

I wouldn't ever take it past iOS7. iOS8 isn't as good, and iOS9 will almost certainly slow it down.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
iPhone 5 great phone, works like a charm, still very speedy even with iOS 8 but I can tell you with iOS 8.3 (beta2) which I installed for a couple of days is much more solid than iOS 8.1.3 (most recent version). iOS 9 will focus op bugs and speed so should be fine with iOS 9.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wouldn't ever take it past iOS7. iOS8 isn't as good, and iOS9 will almost certainly slow it down.
I wouldn't ever take it past iOS 6. Unfortunately, the last replacement I got had the unicorn multicolor puke all over it known as iOS 7.

Only my jailbreak has kept me sane.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
excellent stuff guys, thanks for the feedback.

That was something i didn't think about fire dept, whether you can update the iOS without compromising the performance.

think i'll go ahead with the 5.

I had the 5 and now the 5S - Would say the 5S is worth it because of three things: Speed, Camera and case quality.

The speed of this thing is still on par almost with the 6 in many areas and the cameras picture quality is just a good step above the iPhone 5 I had. Both in video and pictures.

A big thing though, is the way Apple painted the 5. It got scratches VERY fast - even though mine were in a case 24/7 it looked like I played ice hockey with it! The 5S is way way better in that regard...

I had black in both times, so can only talk from that perspective.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…case quality.

A big thing though, is the way Apple painted the 5. It got scratches VERY fast - even though mine were in a case 24/7 it looked like I played ice hockey with it! The 5S is way way better in that regard...

I had black in both times, so can only talk from that perspective.
Apple, instead of choosing to fix the iPhone 5 anodization process simply chose to discontinue black.

There are no Black/Slate iPhones past the iPhone 5. The 5s introduced Black (for the front panels only)/Space Gray (or Grey). So then, there is no black iPhone 5s. It's like saying your car is black because the tires are black.

Gray hides scratches better than black. Which is why you had an improvement in your case quality.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If you get one at the price you are happy with, yeah its still a great phone.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I disagree, my iPhone 5 (32GB) performed worse on iOS 7 than on iOS 8.

iOS 8 operates more fluidly overall on my old iPhone 5.

Then something must have been very wrong with your backup on iOS 7. Consensus is that iOS 7 runs significantly better on all devices than iOS 8. Even the new iPhones have trouble running iOS 8 smoothly.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Should get the 5s or 5c, the 5 has a faulty battery and sleep/wake button. Go for the the ones i mentioned if your budget allows.

Really? I must have gotten a bad iPhone 5 then. No problems with that at all. Going on two and a half years now too.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
If possible go for the 5S.

Performance is basically on par with the 6. Its also much more future proof. The 5S is twice as fast as a 5 in benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.