Carrier Iphone 5 Straight Talk 4G LTE...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ianc484, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Ianc484 macrumors newbie

I have been searching everywhere for a while and can't seem to find any proper proof or answer to my question. I am still new to this prepaid stuff and trying to figure it all out so bare with me, if you would. I recently bought an Iphone 5 off Ebay in really great shape and the description said it was unlocked and ready for any provider and was initially set up for Verizon. Before I really did all my research I went to Verizon under the impression that I could use my Iphone on their prepaid service, they promptly told me I couldn't. I'm not ready to pay the $90+ a month they want to charge me. It seems I can get a better deal out there. I was looking at Straight Talk and saw that they used Verizon Towers in some cases. (Verizon is the predominate provider in my area.) My question is, can I use my unlocked Iphone 5 a1429 (compatable with both GSM & CDMA) on Straight Talk or any other equivalent provider and still get 4G LTE over CDMA (Verizon towers)? Again bare with me if I made any mistakes or assumptions. Thanks.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can buy a Straight Talk SIM (GSM, T-Mobile/AT&T) or go pure T-Mobile and your phone will work fine. AFAIK, you cannot activate your iPhone on Straight Talk CDMA.

3. 869639 macrumors 6502

read my post in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18701427#post18701427

----------

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/h/byop/registration#.UuhWo3moc0M

Pretty sure it means you can activate the Verizon iPhones on Straight Talk....

Also note that Straight Talk service via Verizon = CDMA 3G Only, NO LTE.

OP's iPhone will not get LTE on any Prepaid Network due to his model being A1429, that lacks the required bands to use AT&T / T-Mobile LTE networks [Even via Prepaid MVNO's].

For those of you wondering in future....well You can definitely use Verizon iPhone 5C/5S on Any network in USA [Except Sprint] and get full 4G + LTE.

4. Ianc484 thread starter macrumors newbie

So could I do Boost, Virgin, or any other CDMA providers or is it strictly standard contract Verizon service I can use?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you cannot.
    You will not ever ever ever get Verizon LTE on prepaid carriers.

6. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

The carriers that you listed work in sprint towers anyway, also it's not compatible anyway.

7. Ianc484 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the difference between Straight Talk with T-Mobile SIM and pure prepaid T-Mobile service? They both have 4G LTE, is there any difference than the price. Straight Talk is $45 for unlimited with 2.5 GB data and T-Mobile is $65 for unlimited with 2.5 GB of data.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would just use T-Mobile (not prepaid) for $60 a month with 2.5GB highspeed data, unlimited text and talk because then you could also get some of their other perks like being able to finance a device at 0%, free international text/data, etc.

I'm not sure if it is true, but I don't think MNVOs get as great performance as the actual tower provider. As in, I think you would get faster T-Mobile speeds than Straight Talk speeds.

9. chal3oye macrumors newbie

Also note that Straight Talk service via Verizon = CDMA 3G Only, NO LTE.

OP's iPhone will not get LTE on any Prepaid Network due to his model being A1429, that lacks the required bands to use AT&T / T-Mobile LTE networks [Even via Prepaid MVNO's].

For those of you wondering in future....well You can definitely use Verizon iPhone 5C/5S on Any network in USA [Except Sprint] and get full 4G + LTE.

10. 869639 macrumors 6502

If you going to go with Straight Talk, Go with AT&T SIM --- NOT T-Mobile SIM as the T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM does not offer LTE, only 4G [vs Verizon 3G, T-Mobile would give you better experience and AT&T will give you better experience vs T-Mobile......at the end of the day if you have excellent T-Mobile coverage in your area and have a 1700/2100 AWS compatible phone, then go with T-Mobile SIM ---otherwise AT&T is a no brainer ]

11. dickdaney macrumors regular

The verizon iPhone 5 will not get 3G HSPA+ on T-mobile, unless you're in an area where t-mobile has re-farmed their 1900 mhz spectrum for 3G. Your only option is an AT&T MVNO. You'll get HSPA+ at various speeds depending on which MVNO you choose.

I'm using a verizon iPhone 5 on an AIO.

12. Ianc484 thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I were to switch to an Iphone 5s, is the situation still the same?

13. 869639 macrumors 6502

What SIM card you plan to use...AT&T Straight Talk SIM or T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM?

AT&T ST SIM = 4G + LTE in a Verizon iPhone 5S/5C or 4G Only in Verizon iPhone 5
    T-Mobile ST SIM = 4G No matter what iPhone model as T-Mobile does not allow its MVNO's to use LTE network.

14. Alduais60 macrumors newbie

I use iphone 5 Verizon overseas and it workable with ( gsm-cdma)

Now i use it with a cdma carrier in our country but:
    No 3G
    I tried to fix that till i gave up
    Please could you save me with help ?
    With regards

15. Ianc484 thread starter macrumors newbie

So with my Iphone 5 it's not possible to get 4G LTE through any prepaid providers with no contracts, but with the Iphone 5s I can get it through ST AT&T SIM?

16. 869639 macrumors 6502

That is correct.

With a 5S You can get LTE on:
    - Aio Wireless
    - AT&T GoPhone Prepaid
    - Straight Talk / Net 10 [Both are owned by one parent company]
    - T-Mobile [Postpaid + Prepaid]

17. Idefix macrumors 6502

I have a VZ 5S bought as "device only" at Apple Store (eg unlocked) and used the Straight Talk ATT SIM (cut down with scissors).

I'm getting LTE--although speed varies, especially in fringe areas. LTE doesn't always show up in the top left corner, but when I turn off Wifi, that allows room for LTE to show up. The Wifi icon and LTE occupy the same space so it can only display one or the other.

18. 869639 macrumors 6502

You have it wrong, when on WiFi only WiFi Icon will show, never have the WiFi + Data [3G/4G/LTE] icon have shown at the same time side by side. Its because what ever source of the data transmission your iDevice is using will be the icon you will see on top.

19. Destinnewman macrumors newbie

Wrong

Nope that is not true. My verizon LTE iPhone 5c is on straighttalk. :cool:

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Straighttalk running out of AT&T towers or Verizon LTE?