iPhone 5: The Ultimate iPhone (and iPad 3 specs)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yellowstone2012, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Yellowstone2012 macrumors regular

With the release of the 4S, I see that the iPhone 5 will be the "ultimate" iPhone / phone out there. (2012)

Specs:

iOS Version: 6 (or "iOSX", a complete OS X + iOS rewrite, not just an "adding on" of code)
    RAM: 1GB
    Processor: Quad Core A6 @ 1.0 to 1.2 GHz
    Camera: 10 - 16 Mega-Pixel lens, with numerous technologies to make those photos "WOW" people. The iP5 is where I see Apple competing with professional cameras. The camera will also come with 1080p video recording at 60 FPS. Screen: 3.5 inches at 960x640 or 4 inches at 720p. (quad core will make it possible.) Available: October 5, 2012. (to honor Steve's last "hands-in-development" iPhone)
    As with the iPad, I see the iPhone loosing it's 30-dock connector due to wireless syncing, charging, etc.

iPad specs: 1.2GHz Quad Core, 5MP rear cam, 1MP front, resolution of 2048x1536. (that quad core processor will help.) The iPad 3 will be even thinner and lighter. thanks to ultra-thin guts. (think borderline* paper thin with an amazing "weight-less" feeling to it.)

*Forget about the dock, everything will be wireless. (Charging, Syncing, even Xcode 5 would have an option of wireless app installation.)

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Nice dreams. Im not sure about the iPhone camera, nor the iPad 3 being thinner. I think both of those are pushing it....

3. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

4. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Yeah no. There is no way they will be able to fit a sensor as large as the ones you find in professional DSLR cameras. Not to mention that there isn't enough space to have lenses like DSLR's.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

I think the limits imposed by thinness of the iPhone will preclude the quality of optics you describe.

I do think they will continue an effort to compete with point-and-shoot cameras.

6. simlian3 macrumors newbie

I like the idea of the higher specs but the camera being 10-16mp for the iPhone seems way too unrealistic.

In my opinion, I wouldn't want the iPad to be as weightless as paper since I think that's way too thin. Other than that, it seems cool :)

7. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I really don't know why people keep thinking megapixels mean everything. Unless the sensor is the same size as a professional dslr, those megapixels are not going to do anything good for photos.

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Die shrink of the dual core A5 with triple core PowerVR SGX543MP3 GPU.

9. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Uneducated consumers is all. People are always plastered with ads that only show mp count and people go "well that must be what matters" I don't think I have seen a Best Buy ad or anything like that advertise sensor size, its to complex for the average consumer to understand. It is easier just to say "this one has more pixels"

10. b24pgg macrumors 65816

At this point, more megapixels aren't what's important. 8MP is huge already. Quality of photos at this point is determined primarily by how fast a lens is (large aperture) and sensor size. Since both of those require more thickness, you won't find them in the next iPhone.

EDIT: What JoshGlzBrk said :)

11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I highly doubt they will want to link SJ's date of death with the launch of an iPhone.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

10-16 megapixel camera?

You must be thinking Camera is always about mega pixels...

My canon DSLR will blow away any iphone cameras and it's only 8 megapixels.

13. pettit03 macrumors newbie

You=100% correct

But what about a larger sensor and optical zoom lenses? maybe 2x or 4x? Lense would have to be the size of the apple logo. I don't see this until 2013....

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Wtf next iPhone rumors already? Maybe for iPad 3 yes...

Anyways I don't think A6 processor would be Quad-core just yet. It would still be dual core. iPad 3 would probably have 768MB RAM too. And new GPU.

15. mralmostpopular macrumors member

It won't even compete with prosumer level cameras, let alone professional level. What are these "numerous technologies" that you speak of? Professional cameras are big and bulky because they have to be.

I think many people are already "wow"ed by the camera on the 4S. It's more likely that Apple will boost saturation or something so that people think it's an amazing camera much in the same way that Beats Audio boosts the bass frequencies to make people think it's an amazing audio system.

16. Illumination macrumors regular

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Quad-Core seems like overkill, not to mention battery eating and internal heat raising. 5MP front seem silly too. A better front would be nice though. Retina screen or some sort of higher res screen though is a must & I think we'll see it. Also suspect iPad 3 will be the first iOS device to support LTE.

18. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

"iOSX" :confused::confused: That would suggest that it's iOS 10.

And I can't help but think that it's threads like these that end up contributing to people thinking Apple "blew it" and "disappointed" everyone because of posting up some excessively lofty expectations...

19. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

The A6 isn't projected to be ready until like next June, so if it's in the iPad 3, the release date is going to be pushed back, yet people still project an early 2012 release for the iPad 3. Who knows.

20. drnen macrumors regular

Oh. Awesome. So we're starting this already then? Great.

21. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    It'll be the sixth iPhone and called the iPhone 6.

And, unless it's made by wizards, it will not be anything like you described.

Well, it might have 1GB RAM.

22. GKDAIR macrumors regular

Give the guy a break.

10 years ago, heck 5 years ago the idea of a computer being less than an inch thick (macbook air) would get you laughed out of the room.

It's possible in future years for sensors and lens to shrink.

23. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Oh cmon, 3.5inch at 960x640?

Since LG is now making upto 4.7 inch screens at 720p (retaining 300+ ppi count), i hope for at least a 4 inch 720p or realistically a 4.3 inch 720p screen.

Or better yet, get rid of the home button, add gestures driven UI and you could fit in the 4.3 without increasing the phone size much at all.

As for people saying 4 or 4.3 inch makes phone too big. I see tons of people here use the bb bolds. I measured one and it is as wide as a 4.3 inch sensation. And the width and the length allows for at least a 4.1 inch screen easily. I am amazed how people are carrying so many bolds when according to forum posts here it is impossible to carry that size :p.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Nearly every spec listed sounds unrealistic and like the wrong way to go about improving the iPhone. I've bolded the offending parts.

25. autigerMark macrumors member

autigerMark

Would you care to explain why the above items are offending (except the camera - already been discussed)?