iPhone 5.. ThIs is a "new policy"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scmguru, Oct 5, 2012.

1. scmguru macrumors member

Just picked up an iPhone 5 from our local apple store as a gift for someone.

The genius said that they are no longer replacing phones if they are scratched out of the box.

He indicated they did early on.. But no more, because the issue was resolved at the factory.

Here's the quandary.. The white IP5 I picked up has a week 33 manufacture date Foxconn China (DN).

Genius said the only way I would be able to exchange/replace is if the phone was opened up at the apple store.

Kind of a bummer for the recipient to have to schlep over to the apple store just to make sure they get a "good one"

Truth or false?

2. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

If there is another Apple store, i would try again...This happened to me at the Grand Central store, but i tried the SoHo store the next day and they gave me a new one after going through 4 replacements....

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. Ran7 macrumors regular

customer service personnel are famous for making bogus statements. The EASE at which replacements are occurring may change, but if you get a scratched one out of the box --especially given this is a known and documented issue -- you are on pretty strong ground if you escalate to someone who knows what they are talking about and apples actual obligation to replace. Apple is handling it well because of the public relations aspects, but unless Apple is going to specify in its advertising that "some new in box apple products may have factory scratches" unusual in the consumer smartphones, they would run int an implicit warranty issue because factory scratches like have been posted are not the norm in new in box smartphones.
    The only way for Apple to legally protect itself for future claims on current inventory is to inspect each one in current inventory (before increased factory line inspections which are probably already taking place), leave an inspection note, and reseal them.

5. drkash macrumors regular

My friend got his via O2 online and it had a small nick in the edge. He took it to the Apple store who opened 2 replacements which were the same. They were not helpful and unwilling to open more replacement boxes. They said he should accept that the phone cannot be guaranteed to be 100% defect free and this is how they are!!!

They then told him to go to O2, which he did and they said its apple's problem, anyway they had no stock. Eventually after going back to Apple and speaking to the manager her managed to get them to open a 3rd box which was similar. After arguing they opened the 4th which was fine! Not impressed with Apple CS, I'm still waiting for my delivery from O2, hope mine arrives scuff free

6. jd0513 macrumors member

how do you know what week your phone was made?

7. scmguru thread starter macrumors member

The factory line re-inspection/inspection slip isn't a bad idea.. Maybe increased pressure to build defect free units caused the strike at Foxconn hitting the news.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011300/foxconn-factory-workers-strike-stall-iphone-5-production.html

Many consumer electronics items have a sticker somewhere on them indicating they passed inspection.. I'm guessing the rest of them have inspection details tracked by serial # somehow.

----------

Serial # on the box

8. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

9. Ran7 macrumors regular

I think the thing to know is that it is almost a dead certainly that apple has got people at foxcon on this right now and insisting on minimal quality control standards that were missing in what comes out of the factory.

They are not in for a serious loss since the inventory that foxcon lightly damaged can be used for refurbs for other problems or apple care user damage claim fulfillment.

If you get a "genius" or even a manager who refused to escalate simply assert your writes that they note onto your account notes what you are relating that your phone came scratched out of the box but they refuse to replace it with one in the condition of their printed advertisements (which legally is the warranted condition of NIB phones)

it isn't legal in retail (US) sales for them to claim a "policy" of not replacing them and then not note it or not produce anything in writing to you to that affect. Hold your ground, gt the notes, call apple national and ask to speak with a supervisor the manager was bluffing or ignorant.

Keep in mind this problem will be over soon as this inventory passes, and stores that replace are losing important quotas for sales with each box they open. be polite but firm

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

They probably started having a rash of customers who dropped their phones coming in, claiming their phones were nicked out of the box. Hence the policy for opening it up in the store.

People are being EXTREMELY anal about this, and trying to exchange phones for the tiniest sliver of a defect that you can't even see unless you're looking for it. Mine had a very tiny, almost invisible dent on the side; if I had tried to exchange it for that I'd consider myself ridiculously OCD!

The only thing that makes me sad about all this is this has been a bit of a botched launch for Apple. It's the ONLY one I can think of in semi-recent history.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You never said if your phone was scratched or not.

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

not relevant. Re-read the post, slowly.

13. mebehere macrumors regular

Tough one. Not sure. The answer most likely resides within. Don't think this type of question comes up for most products. It really is an indictment of the manufacturing of these things. Not blaming factory workers. Most likely the designed process/handling procedures are to blame. Either way, life goes on. Good luck, sincerely.

14. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Important facts in BOLD

----------

OP, pretty easy workaround... If it's scratched, let them return it.

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

so glad my iPhone is perfect in every way. White 64 Gig.

T

16. MacBreezy macrumors regular

MacBreezy

Just had my black iPhone 5 replaced this afternoon. Showed the genius what my issue was with the black coming off the bezel and the back of the phone. He went right to the back and got me a replacement. Done and back out the door in about 20 minutes.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. They cannot deny you a return

18. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

How do you find out the manufacturing date on the iPhone 5?

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Can you have the recipient open the box at the Apple Store some time after you give it to them, so that the Apple people can see it had never been opened. I know it's a little inconvenient, but at least they can get a new one if scratched. Otherwise, like someone posted above, I'd return it. And re-purchase it again.

20. skidbubble macrumors 6502

True.

This was done because too many people were dropping & damaging the phones themselves and then trying to exchange it claiming a "manufacturing defect".

21. abhi macrumors member

were you able to buy it without any carrier contract? i.e. at full price?

22. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Got my on launch day and called apple today because the nicks just annoyed me more and more over the past two weeks. They said no problem and set up a replacement for tomorrow in store.

23. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

I plan to get my phone in store when they are readily available. If they tell me that and there is damage out of the box, I plan to return it on the spot and walk out. It is unacceptable to sell damaged products as new.

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've always tried to avoid dealing with Apple retail stores anyway. Apple online/phone support are FAR more helpful.

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

What if you bought it online...there's no inspection for that. I say the genius lied and you can certainly get it exchanged. If the store refused call Apple and let them intercede.

Based upon the reasons for the Foxconn strike, I'd say nothing has been fixed properly at the plant.