iPhone 5... thoughts and ideas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darnovo, Jul 7, 2010.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

With all the "problems" with the iPhone 4 and the wonder whether or not ATT will let early iPhone 4 adopters upgrade to iPhone 5 like they have in the past for most members, I wonder if it's worth it to either return iPhone 4 or keep the 3Gs until the iPhone 5 is released.

However, I wonder if the iPhone 5 will just be a speed/ram increase and camera update (ie, the 3G to 3Gs) It's hard to believe that they would release the same shape/design with all of the antenna press but to re-design a completely new phone might be impossible for a next year release with the amount of design that apple put's into their devices.

What do you think the iPhone 5 will entail and do you think it's worth the wait for it or do you think ATT will let early iPhone 4 adopters upgrade early as they have over the years?

New camera's?
    LTE?
    Faster Processor?
    1GB RAM?

it may be early to discuss this, but 1 year is not a long time, especially when making decisions that require long term contracts etc...

2. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

You must have a doppelganger because someone posted this thread yesterday. :cool:

3. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Fix the issue of the Back glass cracking easy. Fix Signal issue. Fix proximity sensor. Fix face time toilet time.

4. jp700p macrumors regular

- Dual antenna design (bottom and side)
    - LTE
    - at least 1.2 GHz A4
    - 1GB RAM
    - 8MP (I know larger don't mean anything, but have a 8MP high quality CMOS)
    - FaceTime over 3G/4G
    - 3.7" LCD IPS
    - All aluminum phone (simular to mac book pros)
    - Talk time - 11 hours. Internet usage over 3g - 10 hours
    - LED indicator to blink missed texts, incoming emails... etc..
    - 32GB and 64GB models

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Doubt it will support LTE ... AT&T will have just started rolling out LTE in early 2011. AT&T already had a 3G network when the 3G was released - knowing Apple, we won't see an LTE compatible network until LTE is fairly intact. If LTE is mostly intact by early 2011, then Apple will put it in the iPhone 5.

I doubt we'll see 1Gb of RAM in the next iPhone. Probably still 512mb, maybe 768mb. I would prefer to see 64Gb of storage first. Plus - multitasking runs smoothly as does every feature on the iPhone 4 with 512mb of ram. Unless iOS 5 is drastically more demanding, we won't see a staggering increase in RAM.

CPU processor is deceiving because switching architecture means that mhz =/= mhz. I'm sure we'll see a 1Ghz chip.

If one is to go only by Apple's iPhone trends, and not logic:

1Ghz+ A4 or A4 Successor
    1024Mb of Ram
    Increased GPU power
    32/64Gb of Storag

6. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Still trying to get used to my i4 and loving it, not really thinking about the i5, in fact I am also keeping my 3GS as I find it to be the best iPhone ever but my opinion only. I love the i4 however I am just not sure it is the best but time will tell.

8. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Here's a supposed leaked photo of the iPhone 5:

[​IMG]

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Back scratches easy if you treat your phone like Tina Turner. Mine looks great and have had it since 6/23.

10. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I think the iPhone 5 will have increased storage capacity (up to 64gb) and I would hope that they'd have fixed the antenna issue, either by coating the antenna or changing the placement of it. If the proximity sensor issue is a hardware issue then I'd hope that would be fixed too.

As for what other changes will be made, who knows?

I don't really see Apple redesigning the iPhone 5. I'm guessing the design will stay quite similar to the iPhone 4.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Doubt it will be called iPhone 5, probably iPhone 4G...

12. aluren macrumors 65816

I would like a refinement of the design for the front. It has been the same for over 4 years now and I think they can manage to stretch the screen while decreasing the size of the home button, although I have no idea what effects to aspect ratios it will have...

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Someone should definitely start a thread for this topic.

14. JulianL macrumors 65816

Antenna - I hope they can do something like that, anything that lets them fix the issue while maintaining the same design and form factor.

1.2 GHz A4 - No way. Having now acquired two entire semiconductor design companies plus, whatever other recruiting they've done, Apple now have very significant CPU/SoC design resources. There's no way, with that amount of in-house resource, that they'll just bump the clock after a 12 month development cycle. It'll be totally new silicon (possibly called the A5) with significantly enhanced architecture (maybe out of order execution and dual core). I'm not sure how much faster it will be though, that'll probably depend on how the market reacts to the iPhone 4 speed. Maybe 20% to 30% faster.

Battery life - I agree. That's why I doubt that the next iPhone will be any more than 30% faster than the 4. The new CPU will give them the ability to bump the speed far more than this but I suspect that they might want to do more with battery life so they will deliberately under clock the A5 to knock the edge off the performance in return for another significant jump in battery life.

Higher flash capacities - Absolutely.

- Julian

15. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

Is that an iPhone 5 in your pocket or are you just... never mind.

Is that big handle retractable?

16. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

17. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

iPhone 4+ is my guess. 64GB model plus incremental enhancements.

iPhone 5 in 2012 (Olympics year - 5 rings, geddit? - got to be some marketing opportunity there, surely?)

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....because the iPhone 5 is only 360 days away.:D

19. detroit1 macrumors regular

let me guess, you hold the phone by the long black thing on top so you dont lose signal?

20. darnovo thread starter macrumors regular

the reason i cant enjoy the ip4 like i have the rest of them (and yes i have one and im typing on it right now) is because im wondering if att will let people upgrade early and if ip5 is much better than ip4 than it might be worth to wait for it...

i just wonder where apple is going with it

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

but you know iPhone 6 will be better than iPhone 5, and so on and so on.... you'll never be satisfied because something better is always around the corner.

22. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I really hope you're kidding; sarcasm is so hard sometimes on the internet.
    You can wait forever to buy the next best thing. Hell, iPhone 10 will probably be absolutely amazing compared to iPhone 4, with features you would never imagine, will you wait for it?

23. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I like it, it's nice. Soooo much better than iPhone 4 and all it's problems!

24. modul8tr macrumors regular

1. Refined notifications system.

2. I'd like to see the blue skins in Settings and Safari replaced with the much nicer brushed metal of their iPad counterparts. Why this didn't make it to iOS 4, I don't know.

25. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

LOL. Your listing iPhone 6. :apple: