iphone 5 to be thinner than original ipod nano?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pubjoe, Sep 12, 2011.

1. pubjoe macrumors 6502

As macrumors have reported, if the leaked design documents are to be believed, then the iphone 5's depth will be a tapered "0.27" thickness at the top and 0.21" at the bottom".

It just reminds me of the original ipod nano launch when Steve was emphasising that it's impossibly small (...really small), and he compared it to a no.2 pencil. When I saw that presentation, I immediately ordered the first ipod I had ever bought as a present for my Girlfriend and when I got to hold it, I was (and still am) absolutely amazed by the thinness of it.

Funnily enough, the original ipod nano was exactly 0.27" - the same size as the iphone 5 is rumoured to be at it's thickest end. I find this to be quite incredible, and given the expanded slate-like dimensions of the new iphone, I imagine it will create an illusion of being even thinner still when compared to the nano.

I wonder if the 0.27" was a strict design goal of the iphone 5 specifically so that Apple could market it as "thinner than the original ipod nano".

[​IMG]

2. Reddmanz macrumors regular

I doubt it was a "strict design goal" but I expect there would be a slide to show it and how far they have come in the years since the Nano was released.

That is assuming these case designs are at all accurate.

3. pubjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. That is a fairly large assumption.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

how about they leave it the same thickness as it is right now and throw in an extra slim battery for double the battery life.

you know, Apple, it's not the end of the world if everything you release isn't paper thin :rolleyes:

5. charliecc macrumors regular