iphone 5 to have a 4.5 inch retina display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamthedudeman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. iamthedudeman, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/19/ahead-of-the-launch-samsung-wants-iphone-5-banished-from-korea/

Panel made by LG.

"The report goes on to mention that iPhone sports an LG Display-made screen"

Now the retina display that is in the iPhone 4 is made by LG currently. Consider this:

http://www.approachmobile.com/lg-introduced-a-4-5-inch-ips-display-with-hd-resolution

They make a 4.5 inch screen, also are making one for their new super phone with a ppi of 329. Same as their current LG made screen that is used in the iPhone 4. They are also making the screen for the iPhone 5.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/07/25/lg-to-unleash-retina-display-to-other-smartphone-vendors/

Official:

http://news.in.msn.com/technology/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5450772

http://popherald.com/news/lg-launching-a-samsung-galaxy-s2-killer-rumor/11143

2. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

4.5" is way too large. (twss)

I could see 4"-4.2" but not 4.5".

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I honestly hope not. This display would be for a small tablet. Not a phone.

Hopefully the next iPhone will have something like this.

4. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, if the case designs are to be believed, and they have not been wrong yet, and LG are going to be making the panels for the iPhone 5. Which has been reported already. They don't make a 4.2 inch panel that is a retina display. They only make two, a 3.5 inch and a 4.5 inch. Which one do you think they are going to put in a iPhone 5 if two models are coming out? A 3.5 I don't think so.

I am not saying or speculating on the screen size. All the facts point to a 4.5 inch retina display.

----------

Well most android devices already have a 4.3 inch screen. 4.5 is not much larger and Samsung already has one out.

If you have edge to edge glass, no problem on the size of the device.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

They could easily make a 4" retina panel. What resolution? Same as the current one.

Since you would hold it further from your face, the PPI minimum for "Retina" classification drops to 260-270. So it'd still be retina.

6. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

7. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

They could but they don't currently manufacture one. The facts are that they make only two that we know of. Which is a 3.5 inch and a 4.5 inch.

The 4.5 inch has the same PPI as the 3.5 inch which is 329 PPI for both displays. That make both right now, not speculation they are already making a 4.5 inch retina display and they are the supplier for the iPhone 5.

The 3.5 inch in the current iPhone 4 which LG also makes also has a PPI of 329. They already make panels for the iPad 1, 2, and made all the panels for all the iPhones every made, as well as the current retina display in the iPhone 4.

8. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

http://9to5mac.com/2011/05/16/toshiba-is-building-a-4-inch-720p-retina-display-maybe-for-apple/

9. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Toshiba does, LG just announced the only retina display other than the 3.5 inch which is a 4.5 inch.

They make a 4 inch display but it's not retina.

----------

It has a different PPI and LG is making the display for the iPhone 5 according to the report, which Samsung leaked by the way. You guys seem to be missing that fact.

"The report goes on to mention that iPhone sports an LG Display-made screen"
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/19/ahead-of-the-launch-samsung-wants-iphone-5-banished-from-korea/

Apparently 9to5mac also did, and it is their own report. Instead it lists Toshiba which had no correlation to their own report. How they didn't put two and two together is beyond me. Or the other mac sites this one and apple insider.

10. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

How do you know everything LG makes? How do you know FOR SURE there will be LG screens in the iPhone 5?

Furthermore, companies sometimes develop new products FOR Apple. I just don't see them doing a 4.5" screen. Also... all the cases and all... aren't big enough for a 4.5" screen, IMO.

11. gibbz, Sep 19, 2011

gibbz macrumors 68030

Screen size aside, the new screen that you link to is 1280px x 720px (1.778:1), while the current screen is 960px x 640px (1.5:1).

That would certainly present a weird scaling issue if Apple wants all apps to look right on day one. It seems more likely that any new screen would be a variant of the 1.5:1 aspect ratio.

12. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

I'm stupid man. I just read 4 inch display and just overlooked the manufacturer

13. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Never did I say I know everything LG makes. I only know what they do make. Nor did I say I am sure about anything.

Well you can look up how many retina displays on the market or in production right now. Both made by LG, that we know of. We don't know if they make a 4 inch retina display, but we do know they make a 3.5 and a 4.5. And we do know they make the display currently in the iPhone 4.

The link of the report says so and that is from Samsung themselves, and LG has made the screens for every iPhone ever made. I provided a bold quote and a link to the said page and report.

No one knows for sure but that is a real big indication. How do you know the cases are not big enough for a 4.5 inch screen? Edge to edge glass etc.

I am not saying any of this, or this isn't even my opinion. This is all based on reports and of what is and isn't.

----------

The scale would be the same. Same PPI. That is what matters.

14. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Truly doubt they make the jump from 3.5" to 4.5". It's just too big.

15. gibbz macrumors 68030

Sure, the number pixels in any given square inch is the same, but pixel density isn't the issue. The aspect ratio is different. If Apple wanted the current graphics to simply fit the new screen you link to, then they would stretch vertically.

16. iamthedudeman, Sep 19, 2011

iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree, but all the reports point to a larger screen. And LG was just pointed out to be the manufacturer of the iPhone 5 screen according to the report. And the only known screens they make are a 3.5 inch and a 4.5 inch which are retina.

----------

And they couldn't fix this in software? Of coarse they can. Samsung does it, HTC does it. They can do it. Not even a issue. PPI matters more to a developer, which I am one.

Mr. Moskowitz also expects the iPhone 5 will have a larger retina display [than] the iPhone 4′s

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/19...ne-5-china-focused-iphone-4-plus-coming-soon/

17. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Ok, question... (and I'm not trying to be an ass.. I honestly don't remember)... Did we know about the retina screen being made before it was announced last year?

18. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

19. gibbz, Sep 19, 2011

gibbz macrumors 68030

I'm not debating whether the screen will be larger.

I am a developer as well and I disagree with your statement. The point is that Apple has not told developers to support a new screen aspect ratio. So on day one of this launch, most applications would not support the new screen.

This wasn't a problem with the iPhone3GS->iPhone4 because the resolution was doubled in both directions and the aspect ratio remained the same. So, while not the prettiest thing in the world, old graphics could be used in a simple pixel doubling method -- nothing was distorted, just "blurry".

Again, I am not saying this couldn't be supported. Surely developers can make new graphics. However, on day one most apps would not support this. So Apple would have to "make them work" until the developer did so. One way would be to stretch the interface (which I don't think they would do). Alternatively, the could implement a "pillar boxing" effect so that the apps maintain their interface aspect ratio. Again, that seems an ugly un-apple-like solution.

There is a reason the iPhone 4 maintained the same aspect ratio as all previous iPhones -- so that a simple pixel-doubling could be used to support old apps. It just doesn't seem likely that they would deviate from this a year later and put a greater burden on developers to maintain yet another image set.

20. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

21. kre62 macrumors 68000

You say earlier that LG doesnt make a "Retina" 4" screen. How do you know it isn't retina?

Hint: 300PPI has nothing to do with retina classification. The definition as given by apple is a screen dense enough that when you hold it at normal viewing distances, you cant see individual pixels. On a 3.5" screen at 12", that number is 300PPI. On a 4" screen at 14-16", that number is more like 250PPI.

On a 12' screen at 50 feet, that number might be 50PPI. Guess what? Still retina.

So like I said, a LG 4" display at 960x640 is still retina.

22. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not disagreeing with you, but Apple has done this before with the iPad. We got a few months advance granted, but I don't see why they could not have a solution in place.

Ancient xib technology is based on work by NeXT, the XIB format has only been around since 2007. It's based on points, not pixels, so Interface Builder layouts can scale to new resolutions (see Retina display support on the iPhone 4). Additionally, you can set up springs and struts constraints to autoresize and layout views with changes to subviews, so they can scale to new screen sizes. See how this has been used for years on the Mac for variable windows sizes.

This is not to say that a 4.5 screen will be on the iPhone 5. We might get a 4 screen or less and it is made by LG, no one will know for sure until it is released. But I don't see aspect ratio as a problem. If they are going to go with a bigger screen, which at this point they have too they can keep the 3:2 but this would be a screen that we did not see before from LG or another manu.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/16/the-four-inch-iphone-display-doing-the-math/

23. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Things don't stay the same forever. I'm hoping there's a move more towards a 'widescreen' display rather than the boxy display we have now. I think it's been talked about a bit before, but would an aspect ratio change really be that much of a burden for you devs?

24. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

In know what the retina classification refers to. You have it backwards. Lol. :(

Your missing my point. I am not speculating on what can be, just trying to put together the facts. LG doesn't make a 4 screen at a resolution of 960x640.

They make a 800x480 4 display. Retina refers to the human eye not seeing pixels at 12 inches from your face, the human eye cannot see them at that range at that resolution. Hence the term retina.

The resolution would have to be denser than 960x640 to acquire the term 'retina'.

Lg does not make a screen at 4 at a greater resolution than 960x480 that we know of. You have it backwards.

----------

Kind of, yes personally if I was being honest. Depends on how much Apple helps us out to tell you the truth.

Others more talented than myself, not as much.

25. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If the iPhone 5 really does get a 4.5" display... I'll buy one immediately. If it was widescreen, that'd be even better. Of course devs would have to change everything, but hey, that's the course of life.