Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Single (Left) vs Dual (Right) LED comparison with Nokia phones by Zomgitscj
Digitimes claims that the upcoming iPhone 5 will incorporate a dual LED Flash.
Recent market rumors have indicated that Apple's iPhone 5 is likely to come with a dual-LED flash with Taiwan-based LED packaging firms Everlight Electronics, Edison Opto and Lite-On Technology being pinpointed as potential suppliers. All related companies have denied they are involved in the production of dual-LED flashes.
The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs. Back in 2008 Zomgitscj showed differences between the dual LED flash and a single LED flash found on his Nokia N96 and Nokia N95. One is shown above but the site has several other examples for the phone at varying distances.

We'd already seen rumors that Apple may be separating the Flash away from the camera sensor in the iPhone 5.

Article Link: iPhone 5 to Have a Dual LED Flash?

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
It would be awesome if the iPhone 5 had dual flashes.

Also, this is probably the only time we'll see a gatorade bottle as the picture for a front page article. :)

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Sure, two are better than one, I guess.
Plus it would make the iPhone an even more effective flashlight and it'd be cool to use them for call or text message notifications, too.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Great! Now my skin can look twice as bad!

Proper photo manipulation (like the things that can be done in iOS 5,) should help offset that.

This sounds like a neat, inexpensive feature.

Edit: Maybe while they're at it, they could give us some other dual audio/visual feedback, like, say, STEREO SPEAKERS?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Xenon would be the best (for still photos). Nokia had some phones in the past with xenon flash and they took great pictures. Dual LED would be a big improvement, though.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone 5. My employer just started supporting the iPhone, and I'll be eligible for an upgrade from my BlackBerry early next year.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Wow, looks like the LED on the front of the iPhone might be possible now! Here's hoping for LED notifications on the front! That'll be another slap to BlackBerry.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Has Digitimes ever reported an accurate rumor? One that wasn't already widely believed.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Single flash + Clarity filter on Camera+ app.

Done. ;)

problem is even all that can not solve the problem of not enough light.

Honestly I am not surprised by this. dual LED provides more light at a cheaper price and in a smaller form factor than a single bright LED of equilant brightness.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Good to see iPhone will finally get what is supposed to be a standard on all phones. I would rather see xenon of course.

Performa

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
Just what we need...a brighter flash to blow out the photos even more

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/singlevsdual-500x375.jpg]Image

[/url]
Single (Left) vs Dual (Right) LED comparison with Nokia phones by Zomgitscj
Digitimes claims that the upcoming iPhone5 will have a dual LED Flash.The advantage of a dual LED flash appears to be brighter and more expansive lighting for your photographs. Back in 2008 Zomgitscj showed differences between the dual LED flash and a single LED flash found on his Nokia N96 and Nokia N95. One is shown above but the site has several other examples for the phone at the time.

Article Link: iPhone 5 to Have a Dual LED Flash?

I usually turn off the flash, or back WAY up....to keep my photos from getting overwhelmed with light. Now a doubly bright flash? Great.

Aleco

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
LED Indicator Light on the phone right by the FaceTime camera would also be a nice addition. Maybe flash green for a text, red for a personal notification etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.