iPhone 5 - too much negativity here?

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I really, really like my iPhone 5 (black 16g).

It is, without doubt, the best phone / smart phone device I have ever owned in twenty years of buying phones / hand held / smart phone devices.

But wow, the amount of threads started here to nit pick every possible issue amazes me, we are early adopters, there will be some issues for anyone with a product which is new.

Relax, it's a really sweet product and I am very happy with mine.

Had to get that off my chest.
Thanks for playing, you've been a great audience.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah I guess people have some expectancy for an apple product, I will agree that this iPhone is the best made piece of commuting hardware I own. People need to enjoy their devices and use them to their fullest.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Remember the more people who complain and get issues noticed, the more Apple will solve them to make an even better phone. If people stay quiet then Apple won't know if there is some changes they need to do.

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
It is, without doubt, the best phone / smart phone device I have ever owned in twenty years of buying phones / hand held / smart phone devices.
you must not have come across the Nokia N95-8GB or any of the others similar to that calibre.

ahhh actually you're only 20. that explains :)

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
about average

About average for an apple launch. ;)

more scuff complaints
less screen complaints

Mine was perfect!

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?

But wow, the amount of threads started here to nit pick every possible issue amazes me, we are early adopters, there will be some issues for anyone with a product which is new.

Couldn't agree with you more. It's a phone, not a statue. It's nice to look at but it's meant to be used.

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
you must not have come across the Nokia N95-8GB or any of the others similar to that calibre.

ahhh actually you're only 20. that explains :)
haha, i have been buying them for twenty years, i am a little older than twenty, but wow, i wish that i was still twenty!!!

i did indeed own the n95, it was a good phone at the time and i replaced it with an iphone 3gs...

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
I've heard more negativity this year about the 5 then last year about the 4s....

Which is weird, because the 4s was basically the same.

I remember on launch day when I took the case off the 4 and put it on the 4s..... Then thought to myself "well that was a waste of $900".

I ended up loving the 4s after getting used to it.

This year I instantly fell in love with the 5 when I got mine.

But everybody I talk to has heard nothing buy bad about it.

Apple better change some stuff, because next year people will really freak if it's exactly the same as the 5....

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005

Every iPhone launch is the same way. Everybody else is too busy enjoying their phones to bother coming here to post.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
I love my iPhone 5 and always love the simplicity and peace of mind that comes with purchasing an Apple product.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I don't think this launch is any worse than normal. Antennae issues, screen yellowing, Siri, & signal attenuation issues in past releases- just to name a few.
Obviously this is just anecdotal evidence, but it does seem that there are more complaints about damage right out of the box this time around. And I DO think the map app glitch didn't make Apple look on top of things. But overall, I think the level of complaining is about on par with prior releases.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012

I agree 100%. Apple is no longer a company that should be known for making amazing products and should therefore be held to lower standards. That would help reduce backlash (and subsequent hurt feelings from its most loyal supporters) because only truly great companies have earned the right to be judged on a higher level than their competition.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I agree 100%. Apple is no longer a company that should be known for making amazing products and should therefore be held to lower standards. That would help reduce backlash (and subsequent hurt feelings from its most loyal supporters) because only truly great companies have earned the right to be judged on a higher level than their competition.
No need to be sarcastic about it... nobody is saying that people shouldn't hold Apple to a high standard and point out any manufacturing flaws. There have simply been too many people making new threads about the exact same set of flaws, as if they are the only person experiencing that specific issue. And like clockwork, the people making these threads overreact and say things like, "Apple isn't the same company as they used to be, I'm never buying an iPhone again!" when in reality they'll either forget about it and move on, or exchange their device for a flawless one if it bugs them that much.

For the record, I have dealt with numerous issues on various iOS devices. What do I do? Exchange them at an Apple Store until I get a device that meets my standards, and then move on with my life. Simple as that.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

I agree.
I wonder whats going on here. To me it seems like an echo chamber. Once enough people start complaining folks that haven't feel left out and feel the need to complain too. Or maybe they get the sense that there are problems so anything out of the ordinary they find must be another problem.

So much negativity here and in the media is depressing. So much of it is FUD. I can't believe folks who repeat negative remarks that may be untrue and they certainly don't know what they're saying. Its like politics. Say it enough times it must be true. Its almost cool now to make up something negative about Apple.

I wonder if it will blow over or if its just getting started. There's been an amazing lack of substance to many of the complaints.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Apple is a company people LOVE to HATE since they're so successful.

Happens with every product launch. In one or two weeks majority will mellow out...until the iPad mini makes its debut of course and then its a party all over again.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
We need to remember that we as a forum are a very small, niche group of users that in no way represent the general public. People outside of here are hardly complaining about the ridiculous "problems" there are with the iPhone 5. I for one haven't had any issues with my white one, and I'm loving it more and more every day.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
We need to remember that we as a forum are a very small, niche group of users that in no way represent the general public. People outside of here are hardly complaining about the ridiculous "problems" there are with the iPhone 5. I for one haven't had any issues with my white one, and I'm loving it more and more every day.
It seems much worse this time. I've seen many news articles that seem to strive to use ever more extreme words to describe the maps. And everyone has heard they have problems.
In general, I think the maps are a big improvement, providing turn by turn and useful Siri integration. I think its awesome. Searching isn't as comprehensive as google maps. Doesn't have street view. But in my area its been accurate.
Black phones that come scuffed are a real issue.

Everything else seems like FUD and/or overblown. Especially the purple pictures. All camera lenses have flare when pointed at bright lights. The more compact the lens the higher likelihood of flare.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I think the board has seemed very negative because every complainer makes his OWN thread instead of searching and posting in the appropriate threads already in existence. There have been like 6-7 battery threads, 4-5 Wifi threads, etc, etc, :rolleyes:

iDom74

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Too much negativity?

I had terrible battery life on iPhone 5 out of the box. Graphical glitches and lines of colored pixels when tapping folders. Apple App crashiness. Purple haze in pictures.

Got every right to be negative, this is just not on for a $999 AUD device.

It's now gone back to Apple for a refund, I might order another in a few weeks to see if the later manufactured units are improved. But at this stage the combination of iOS 6 and iPhone 5 feels like Microsoft's Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.