iPhone 5 - too much negativity here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hifromtomorrow, Oct 1, 2012.

1. hifromtomorrow macrumors member

hifromtomorrow

I really, really like my iPhone 5 (black 16g).

It is, without doubt, the best phone / smart phone device I have ever owned in twenty years of buying phones / hand held / smart phone devices.

But wow, the amount of threads started here to nit pick every possible issue amazes me, we are early adopters, there will be some issues for anyone with a product which is new.

Relax, it's a really sweet product and I am very happy with mine.

Had to get that off my chest.
    Thanks for playing, you've been a great audience.

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Yeah I guess people have some expectancy for an apple product, I will agree that this iPhone is the best made piece of commuting hardware I own. People need to enjoy their devices and use them to their fullest.

3. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

MR is always like this right after a launch, at least in my experience. Everybody will start to calm down in a few weeks (hopefully). :)

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Remember the more people who complain and get issues noticed, the more Apple will solve them to make an even better phone. If people stay quiet then Apple won't know if there is some changes they need to do.

5. dk206 macrumors regular

you must not have come across the Nokia N95-8GB or any of the others similar to that calibre.

ahhh actually you're only 20. that explains :)

6. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

about average

About average for an apple launch. ;)

more scuff complaints
    less screen complaints

Mine was perfect!

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

In general, many people have higher expectations of objects/services than they do of themselves. It's human nature.

8. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

It's always like that after every new product launch.

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Couldn't agree with you more. It's a phone, not a statue. It's nice to look at but it's meant to be used.

10. hifromtomorrow thread starter macrumors member

hifromtomorrow

haha, i have been buying them for twenty years, i am a little older than twenty, but wow, i wish that i was still twenty!!!

i did indeed own the n95, it was a good phone at the time and i replaced it with an iphone 3gs...

11. ek9max macrumors regular

I've heard more negativity this year about the 5 then last year about the 4s....

Which is weird, because the 4s was basically the same.

I remember on launch day when I took the case off the 4 and put it on the 4s..... Then thought to myself "well that was a waste of $900".

I ended up loving the 4s after getting used to it.

This year I instantly fell in love with the 5 when I got mine.

But everybody I talk to has heard nothing buy bad about it.

Apple better change some stuff, because next year people will really freak if it's exactly the same as the 5....

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Every iPhone launch is the same way. Everybody else is too busy enjoying their phones to bother coming here to post.

13. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I love my iPhone 5 and always love the simplicity and peace of mind that comes with purchasing an Apple product.

14. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I don't think this launch is any worse than normal. Antennae issues, screen yellowing, Siri, & signal attenuation issues in past releases- just to name a few.
    Obviously this is just anecdotal evidence, but it does seem that there are more complaints about damage right out of the box this time around. And I DO think the map app glitch didn't make Apple look on top of things. But overall, I think the level of complaining is about on par with prior releases.

15. appswipe macrumors 6502

I agree 100%. Apple is no longer a company that should be known for making amazing products and should therefore be held to lower standards. That would help reduce backlash (and subsequent hurt feelings from its most loyal supporters) because only truly great companies have earned the right to be judged on a higher level than their competition.

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

No need to be sarcastic about it... nobody is saying that people shouldn't hold Apple to a high standard and point out any manufacturing flaws. There have simply been too many people making new threads about the exact same set of flaws, as if they are the only person experiencing that specific issue. And like clockwork, the people making these threads overreact and say things like, "Apple isn't the same company as they used to be, I'm never buying an iPhone again!" when in reality they'll either forget about it and move on, or exchange their device for a flawless one if it bugs them that much.

For the record, I have dealt with numerous issues on various iOS devices. What do I do? Exchange them at an Apple Store until I get a device that meets my standards, and then move on with my life. Simple as that.

17. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I agree.
    I wonder whats going on here. To me it seems like an echo chamber. Once enough people start complaining folks that haven't feel left out and feel the need to complain too. Or maybe they get the sense that there are problems so anything out of the ordinary they find must be another problem.

So much negativity here and in the media is depressing. So much of it is FUD. I can't believe folks who repeat negative remarks that may be untrue and they certainly don't know what they're saying. Its like politics. Say it enough times it must be true. Its almost cool now to make up something negative about Apple.

I wonder if it will blow over or if its just getting started. There's been an amazing lack of substance to many of the complaints.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple is a company people LOVE to HATE since they're so successful.

Happens with every product launch. In one or two weeks majority will mellow out...until the iPad mini makes its debut of course and then its a party all over again.

19. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

We need to remember that we as a forum are a very small, niche group of users that in no way represent the general public. People outside of here are hardly complaining about the ridiculous "problems" there are with the iPhone 5. I for one haven't had any issues with my white one, and I'm loving it more and more every day.

20. monkor macrumors regular

My main beef is that there's still no black emoji...

21. dmelgar macrumors 68000

It seems much worse this time. I've seen many news articles that seem to strive to use ever more extreme words to describe the maps. And everyone has heard they have problems.
    In general, I think the maps are a big improvement, providing turn by turn and useful Siri integration. I think its awesome. Searching isn't as comprehensive as google maps. Doesn't have street view. But in my area its been accurate.
    Black phones that come scuffed are a real issue.

Everything else seems like FUD and/or overblown. Especially the purple pictures. All camera lenses have flare when pointed at bright lights. The more compact the lens the higher likelihood of flare.

22. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I think the board has seemed very negative because every complainer makes his OWN thread instead of searching and posting in the appropriate threads already in existence. There have been like 6-7 battery threads, 4-5 Wifi threads, etc, etc, :rolleyes:

23. iDom74 macrumors newbie

Too much negativity?

I had terrible battery life on iPhone 5 out of the box. Graphical glitches and lines of colored pixels when tapping folders. Apple App crashiness. Purple haze in pictures.

Got every right to be negative, this is just not on for a $999 AUD device.

It's now gone back to Apple for a refund, I might order another in a few weeks to see if the later manufactured units are improved. But at this stage the combination of iOS 6 and iPhone 5 feels like Microsoft's Vista.

24. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

[​IMG]