IPhone 5 unlock? What??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bassotyl, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Bassotyl macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I'll try to sum this up quick. My boss travels, and plans on getting a new phone soon. He is going to give his older phone (ATT iPhone 5) to some relatives across the country. He was complaining how unlocking it so it works anywhere is such a hassle and cost money. I'm aware of unlocking so it works anywhere in the world without all those fees. And I'm not talking about unlocking for a different carrier. Anyhow, he said it costs $125? I don't remember it being that at all as I feel a while ago it was much simpler. He told me if I figure out a way to unlock it he will give me $50. Now my question is is there any easy way to do it? Without calling ATT and having them do it for a shortened period of time? Or a cheaper way? Unlock codes? I'm looking for a permanent unlock not temporary. I've been trying to search and I'm reading different things that are leaving me puzzled lol. Thanks guys.

2. lke macrumors 6502a

3. Bassotyl thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm somewhat confused. There's no distinguished codes. Is unlocking the same? Global unlocking and carrier unlocking? And if not how can I tell which one is which? Thanks :)

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

AT&T started cracking down on unauthorized unlocks a couple years ago. Gone are the days of $2 less than 24 hour unlocks. If AT&T isn't an option (free and takes a few days barring you meet all the criteria) then check eBay for the cheapest you can find that looks legit.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I assume this phone is out of contract? Why not just follow the process that AT&T has in place to unlock? It's permanent and free.

6. Bassotyl thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry as I am not that knowledgable in this subject. Currently he is still using the iphone 5 for his own personal use and has service on it. He can get an upgrade any time though. Now I was told that it costs money for them to do it or it is not permanent. I wouldn't understand why he has paid $125 in the past then.

----------

What is the criteria? And if I was to get an eBay code would he lose the unlock?

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If he can get an upgrade any time, it's likely that his contract is up and he should be able to unlock through AT&T (assuming that's his carrier). You just need his IMEI number, cell number, last 4 of his social and his account password if he has one. Go here:https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition and you'll be able to enter the info and start the process. Once unlocked, the phone can be used anywhere.