iphone 5 vs ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Jan 22, 2011.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

which one would you take and why? if you only had one choice.. I do honestly feel like they are similar products... Im in the market for a new apple goodie.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

hhmmm, Do I want option A that has not shipped or been announced yet, or option B that has not shipped or been announced yet, which do I prefer, which one is better???

this is a tough choice.

I'll get back to you in July.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I know I will be getting iPad 2 on launch day.
    I will probably end up getting iPhone 5 as well too. :D

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Based on your signature, if you're using a 3GS, I'd probably get the iPhone5. It doesn't matter anyway, you'll probably get both.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Most of us have iPhones and iPads, so the answer is easy, most of us will simply get both.

6. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

The question is, how long do you want to wait? The iPad 2 will be out much sooner than the next iPhone

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this is a silly question. But, I'll play along. I would choose the iPhone 5. It is portable enough to carry around every where.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

BlackBerry PlayBook

iOS has the best app store and has the best software written for it, but it has become the most boring looking OS in the market. QNX will be better even when the iOS5's new finger gestures gets released.

9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Personally, I'd probably go with the iPhone 5 (assuming I didn't already have the 4), but I have a very specific reason for doing so--video playlists. I use them all the time, and the iPad (or at least the first one) doesn't "do" them (it only plays the first song and then goes back to the playlist screen, much like older iPods used to). You have to use a really stupid workaround and even then, you can't skip from one track to the next; you have to manually scrub to the end of the track and wait for it to shuffle to the next one. I had an iPad from Black Friday until that Monday, which is when I returned it and got a 64GB iPod Touch instead (I'd needed to upgrade my current Touch anyway and figured--since I had some extra cash--why not just get a 64GB iPad instead? It's a cooler toy with the same capacity I was looking for and a bigger screen... but it couldn't do the main thing I needed it to do.)

Now, if the next iPad is able to handle video playlists, I'll definitely give it some consideration. Def getting the iPhone 5, as well.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Clearly you have no grasp of reality. The iPhone 6 is the device to pick, why quabble on an unreleased iPhone 5/iPad 2 when you can clearly see the iPhone 6 is going to blow both away:p

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I got an iPhone 4 on 2 year contract so no iPhone 5 for me.

Almost a year into iPad ownership and I definitely want a newer model. Love this device.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pretty tough to compare devices when we don't know the specs of either

Bottom line, if I could only have an iPhone or an iPad, I would take the iPhone

I love my iPad, but I use my iPhone far more on a daily basis

That said... I will get likely get both unless there is no compelling reason to upgrade

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You never know, ATT may bump up renewal dates again, though I think they did that just to lock customers in for 2 years as they knew that their iPhone exclusive was going to expire.

I just picked one up, and while its true the iPad2 is due out in a couple of months, I'm happy with the purchase. On the off chance that apple that apple includes a higher resolution display, I could always sell it, but to be honest, I'm happy with it.

14. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

how is it silly.. Im in the market for both. considering the benefits of both...

15. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny guy lol...

16. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Currently there are too many unknowns about both of these devices. I have heard that the new iPad 2 and upcoming iPhone (tentatively called iPhone 5) will used the new A5 processor (dual core) to handle all tasks. This also allows the iPad 2 do run at higher resolutions on screen (note the PPI rating probably wont match / outdo the iPhone 4's display).

17. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

After trying to read my computer books on my iphone last night i figured I may have to invest in a ipad specially for the book part. If it does get a camera I think it's a no brainer. Im curious to see what apple will add to it...

18. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Hence why when I was on contract here in Australia I only chose a 12 month contract. I only now buy outright.

19. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I had an iPad 64GB WiFi and 3G, but I never used it for reading as I dont buy books of any sort (kind of why the web is handy). I sold it off a couple of months ago on eBay for about AU$ 980, primarily because I prefer the display on the iPhone 4, plus back then iOS 3.2 was the only version released and I don't use folders. I chose the iPad because of the built in wireless on a larger device, but its screen resolution was its downer.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I use my iPhone as, well, a phone - calls and texts mainly - with some iPod and camera use thrown in. Unless the iPhone 5 has something simply amazing, I'm perfectly content with the iP4 for another cycle. I am, however, switching to the Verizon iPhone on Feb. 3.

The iPad, however, has pretty much replaced my laptop. And because of how much I do with it, I'd love to have an upgraded model with a faster processor and more RAM, maybe a built-in SD card slot (I do have the camera kit) and slight weight reduction.

So for me, I'd choose the iPad 2 in a heartbeat.

21. saving107, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Its a silly question because as of right now, neither of them have been release or announced, so no one here has any information (specs, design, price, availability) to accurately compare between the two to know which one would be better.

Rumors are not facts, but if someone wants to compare one product that doesn't exist in the market to another product that doesn't exist in the market purely based on rumors that are floating around the internet, by all means go ahead.

but a fair comparison won't come until June/July when both products have been on the market and had time to be reviewed.

22. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

They don't conflict...they have different uses, and you should buy both.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither device is out, the specs for each is unknown so trying to pick between them is silly.

24. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i would definately like to switch to verizon also.. at&T drives me nuts...

25. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I don't see that you can compare a tablet with a phone?!