IPhone 5 VS new blackberry bold 9900

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone3gs, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Why iPhone 5 instead of the new BB BOLD.

Trying to persuade a friend to get the iPhone 5 in oct 2011 as oct is when their new contract is due

They like to email-which they reckon iPhone is not as good as the bb.

BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 Specifications

115 x 66 x 10.5 mm, approximately 130 g
    2.8" capacitive touch screen display - VGA (640x480), 287 dpi resolution
    QWERTY keyboard, optical trackpad
    1.2 GHz Processor, 768 MB RAM
    8 GB on-board memory, plus microSD slot supporting up to 32 GB cards
    Near Field Communication technology
    Browser - HTML5 browsing, View Movies/Clips from websites built for mobile streaming, RSS feed support
    5.0 MP camera, supports 720p HD video recording but note that there is no autofocus.
    Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), Digital Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity Sensor
    Built-in GPS / aGPS
    Dual-Band Wi-Fi - 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 802.11 a/n at 5 GHz
    Bluetooth 2.1+EDR support
    Wireless Network support:
    9900: Tri-BandHSPA+,Quad-BandGSM/EDGE
    9930: Dual-BandCDMA/EV-DORev.A, Dual-BandHSPA+,Quad-Band GSM/EDGE
    1230 mAh removable, rechargeable battery
    BlackBerry 7 OS
    Features

Near Field Communication technology chip allows for barcode scans without using the camera. It also supports the mobile payment method much like Google Wallet.
    New icons and revised layout
    Advanced voice search
    Browser speeds more than 2x as fast as in BlackBerry OS 6
    Thinnest Blackberry ever

2. briand05 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't even bother with Blackberry at this point, I used to like them but the OS is way too outdated now. Maybe when they come out with QNX phones.

3. Munnichs macrumors member

blackberry :rolleyes: common sense will always let you take an iphone/android above a blackberry

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I must agree. I decided to give my BB a spin a could of weeks that I had lying around the house. Let's just say within a day or so I was back to my iPhone 4. The OS is definitely lacking, but the keyboard & BBM is what keeps most BB users IMO.

5. Smtevo macrumors 6502

You ever see a 9900 take close up pictures? LOL is all im saying.

6. aohus macrumors 68000

different strokes for different folks

Some blackberries are built like tanks, namely the Bold series. They're definitely more durable than the iPhone 4.

BBM is definitely a plus for the BB crack addicts

Some folks still prefer qwerty portraid keyboard over touchscreen keyboard

BES gives RIM an edge in terms of security

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

You know, I really do like the BlackBerry 9900. I love the design and miss the LED notification light and physical keyboard. And it will probably drop in price with contract by the time I am able to upgrade next Feb.

But here is the thing, QNX phones will be released next year. I don't expect BB OS 7 to be supported for very long and the 9900 won't be upgradeable to it. I do like BB though. RIM made solid phones with a nice balance of work + play. Not too many distractions, but still the occasion fun here and there. BlackBerry isn't getting hacked into like Paris Hilton's old Sidekick II or Scarlett Johansson's iPhone.

Buying a 9900 is like buying the Nokia N9. They might be pretty and a homebrew community can support it, but you know the platform is DOA. Don't fall for its looks. Stick with iOS. It could still take years just to refine QNX. Personally, I am just waiting for the first gen of QNX phones from RIM. A BlackBerry is very likely my next phone. There is like 80M people on BBM and they are not going away anytime soon.

8. aohus macrumors 68000

yeah if i were a celebrity, famous person, i wouldn't be using an iPhone or any other Android phone. I'd stick with BB, and I believe most do. Kim Kardashian and their family are all on BB.

9. NJFP macrumors 6502

I left BB Bold to come to iP4. What a great choice I made! The email on the iP4 just blows BB away. My Bold was slow, wouldn't load images quickly or at all. My iP4 feels more solid than my Bold did. I had the 9650. Friend of mine has the new 9900. Feels like a cheap plastic toy. Me no likey. Glad I made the jump to Apple.

10. 88 King, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

The main reason I didn't got an iPhone 4 last year was because I can't type at the same speed and with the same accuracy as I can on a Blackberry.

If you need to do a lot of typing on a mobile device, then there is no better option than a Blackberry.

I have an old Bold to take notes at meetings. You will look stupid if you usage a large tablet or rude using a touch screen phone as you will have to look down at the screen as you type.

iOS on the iPhone 5 will be supported and updated for at lest two more years by Apple. Blackberry will be moving to a new platform next year, and they did not say any current devices will be supported.

So if you friend buy a BlackBerry now, it is likely the operating software will be outdate by this time next year and unlikely to be upgrade to the newer version.

P.S. about email, the Mail app on the ipad don't even have a select all option unless you jailbreak. Don't know how people can say that the native email app on the iPhone is better than the Blackberry.

11. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

You can use iPhone as a dictaphone which then you don't need to type during meetings.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

There are a few reasons why I would recommend BB over iPhone:

Enterprise-level security and control in the business environment, of which RIM is still king of. Apple has been catching up though in the past few years, and will probably either match or hopefully overtake RIM in this matter by iOS 6 or 7. Doesn't have a lot of pull to the average consumer, but this is pretty much the main reason why Blackberry still rules in the Business industry.

Physical Keyboard. RIM's Blackberrys still have the best in the mobile industry. Super easy even for people with large fingers due to the shape of the keys.

13. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I know, but making my own notes is more flexible. This way I don't have to hear the whole meeting again later on, so it saves time.

14. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I can't answer why but the US President and everyone in The Whitehouse have specially modified BB phones

15. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

These two are not to be compared. At least from a common sense standpoint.

They are two completely different phones for different purposes.

Contrary to what many would like to believe, RIM is not trying to compete with either the iOS or Android platform with this particular model.

It's precisely one of several reasons why RIM finds itself struggling. They are struggling to establish their relevance in the retail marketplace.

17. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I work in a Glentel retail store and I have honestly sold more of these than the iPhone 4, even though these cost more. Not sure why, I would never buy one.

Bell

9900: $169.99
    iPhone 4: $99.99

Virgin

Same as Bell, they are owned by Bell in Canada and are a HSPA+ carrier with some older CDMA phones as well.

Rogers

9900: $199.99
    iPhone 4: $159.99

18. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Get back to us when the iPhone 5 comes out, not a 15 month old phone.

19. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yes, but for the price, the iPhone 4 seems like the more attractive device. With plans starting at $40 for the Blackberry, and plans starting at $50 for the iPhone, however, that may be one of the reasons that the BB is selling more.

As a side note, I don't feel that the new display is that impressive, even with the touch screen.

20. Smtevo macrumors 6502

That and why would anyone with the right mind buy a i4 right now.

21. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If someone quite literally needs a new phone and they're eligible for an upgrade, they will get one.

Real life example: Customer had a 3G. Lost it on a ride at the carnival a few days ago. Their upgrade was today. Got an iPhone 4. Satisfied. The end!

22. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Yeah but you're comparing price of an almost year and a half old phone with a month old phone... Yes people will most likely pick out the cheaper option when randomly walking into a store, but people in the know will realize that the iP4 is on the way out while the 9900 was just released.

23. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Was just about to post the same thing, of course people are going to buy the iPhone 4 right now if they have NO phone because their phone broke. I am talking about people who have a perfectly good phone but want to upgrade because something newer is out.

24. falconeight Guest

falconeight

BB can't compete with iPhone 4 how are they going to compete with I5.